Kill switch ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Kill switch ideas?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Kill switch ideas?

My Jeep is just about done, and before i drive and park at train, I'd like to add a kill switch. Anyone have recommendations on what to switch, where to install it, and what switch you used? I'd like to keep it in the cab somewhere so I'm not popping the hood every time i park.

Not opposed to a second switch under hood for longer term parking.

Thanks in advance for ideas and any pics.

Unread 07-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

simply inhibit the mag pu wire in the distributor

but do it upline in the loom where it heads to the moduel, use a sinple push/pull circuit breaker button.. yes the motor will still turn over but it will be a no start. there is nothing like the sound of a car that wont start, it draws everyones attention and burns valuable "stealth time" which thieves rely upon. they are likely to just split knowing they will have to figuer it out before they drive it away. i will add this, and i dont want to rain on your only mode of trans if the jeep is it. these aren the vehicles to leave unattended in park and rides and train stations. you are truly tempting car thieves.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsoj22 View Post
but do it upline in the loom where it heads to the moduel, use a sinple push/pull circuit breaker button.. yes the motor will still turn over but it will be a no start. there is nothing like the sound of a car that wont start, it draws everyones attention and burns valuable "stealth time" which thieves rely upon. they are likely to just split knowing they will have to figuer it out before they drive it away. i will add this, and i dont want to rain on your only mode of trans if the jeep is it. these aren the vehicles to leave unattended in park and rides and train stations. you are truly tempting car thieves.
I like this idea. I'm assuming this is what you've done. Ideas on where to mount the button? My dash is stock, so anything visible would need to look OEMish, or just under/behind the dash.
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Get your hands on a tj airbag switch and have it rekeyed to fit your jeep key.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

Before I starting tearing my Jeep apart the PO had wired one to kill power from getting to the distributor. He wired a toggle switch and put it under the center console. One wire went to ground, the other was a splice between the ignition power and starter solenoid wire. It worked really well, and unless someone crawled under the jeep, you couldn't find the switch very easily.
dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
I don't even know where to begin on that idea.
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdudeaz View Post
Before I starting tearing my Jeep apart the PO had wired one to kill power from getting to the distributor. He wired a toggle switch and put it under the center console. One wire went to ground, the other was a splice between the ignition power and starter solenoid wire. It worked really well, and unless someone crawled under the jeep, you couldn't find the switch very easily.
I want to install a Tuffy sooner than later, but don't have a console yet. I like that idea a lot though, especially since even if the hood is popped, there is no obvious wire running through the firewall to the dash.
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Tweeter00801
1978 CJ7 

I have a buddy that installed the kill switch on the backside of the dash next to the left speaker, by mounting it to a bracket, and the bracket was tac welded to the back of the dash so no protruding bolts. No one can see it, and its not something you would look for. This is was a great idea, I thought. No worry about locks, and no one would ever look there for anything required to start the engine.
Tweeter00801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
BDP72
1986 CJ7 

Hide it in plain site, use a toggle switch like one for off road lights just label it lights, or bright and dim or something like that. Other than that I would put behind a lock and key .
BDP72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I put a hidden switch that can't even be seen inside my locking glove box. You would need to unlock the glove box and find the switch.

It has no visible wires as it is mixed in with the rest of the wiring from the bulkhead connection to the dash wiring. Wired switch goes back to the MSD ignition module to disable it.

The same switch also disables current the the starter solenoid so you get nothing to energize it. Sort of a redundancy system in case they bypass the MSD grounded wire.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

I have the "Passenger Eject" switch wired to the white wire coming from my MSD ignition module. When grounded, the engine won't run. No one will ever think to hit that switch before turning the key to start it!
960114_581816578519206_853311769_n.jpg  
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

Oh, I was just thinking too, I had a friend with an older truck that used two metal contact points in random spots as the kill switch. He changed them a couple times for fun, but one configuration was so he could use his left hand to touch the two contact points (screw heads or rivets) which would complete the circuit, and then he would start the motor with the other hand. He then went to two contact points using both hands and putting a push button starter. It was a pretty cool idea; somewhat complicated, but cool nonetheless.
dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
bajaviking
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
How about putting an airbag in the seatcushion, then wire it up in a way that will make it blow if somebody tries to start the vehicle
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane"
bajaviking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
62wagonkid
1985 CJ7 

I have mine linked into the the distributor. I ran a simple toggle on/off switch at the bottom of my lock box. Nothing noticeable nor does it draw any attention when I activate it. I lift open the console, activate the switch, and store my valuables. IMO it was the only option for me.
()_)-()_)-o-)_)
62wagonkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #15
Jeeper44mag
1978 CJ7 

My Uncle used to have a CJ7 with a simple open/closed fuel line switch underneath. If it was being left parked for any length of time, he would flip it to shut off the fuel line. It could still be hot wired, but a thief wouldn't get any more than ~ a quarter mile before it ran out of fuel and died.

Luis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.