Key won't start my rig. Potential electrical issue(s)? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Key won't start my rig. Potential electrical issue(s)?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #16
crouse11c
1985 CJ7 

It's mechanical so no fuzes. The fuel could have drained back into the tank due to filter being on wrong and or bad diaphragm in mech fuel pump. Leaks in fuel line can also cause this.

crouse11c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #17
crouse11c
1985 CJ7 

Some people say to prime a fuel pump but a mech pump work on vacuum so if it is good then no priming is needed. A mech pump is a primer. Although you can try and prime the carb and check fuel lines. First with the help of a key turner remove the fuel line from the carb an place a rag around end then remover air cleaner and expose bowl, now add a lil gas using a eye dropper or what ever into bowl. About 70ml will work. Do this about ten times and fuel should start to hit the rag. This will prime the carb. If fuel doesn't reach carb an nothing has made it to the pump then you hbe a pump issue or a vacuum leak in your fuel system. If fuel did make it to the rag the reconnect and all is good should start easy now. Make sure fuel filter is correct with return line above the carb line.
Unread 04-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #18
crouse11c
1985 CJ7 

BTW you can help the fuel pump prime itself though. If no hand pump primer is avail. Try shooting large amounts of air into gas tank. Should push fuel to the pump. But a fuel pump is 20.00 and very easy to swap out. If you are tired of messing with it I say try what I said no work replace all ruber hoses and mech pump and inspect lines. You can also check them with a vacuum gauge. If none of this works then you may have a problem in the tank.
Unread 04-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #19
TGL
1984 CJ7 

So it was the gas. I had filled the tank not 9 days prior, however it appears that having left it parked for that time in a rather public spot, someone helped themselves to my fuel. How about that.

One last thing: I drove around for a couple of hours and everything was fine. Though when I got home and tuned off the key, the engine did not turn off. I pulled the red wire from the solenoid to kill it, then started and stopped it a couple times with the key to test and it operated properly. Anyone ever run across this? What might that be?
TGL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #20
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Jeepers, it is not just one problem that comes along for you!!!

It sounds like alternator feedback. Next time unplug the alternator and see if that stops it. If so the cure is a diode.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2014, 04:49 AM   #21
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGL View Post
So it was the gas. I had filled the tank not 9 days prior, however it appears that having left it parked for that time in a rather public spot, someone helped themselves to my fuel. How about that.

One last thing: I drove around for a couple of hours and everything was fine. Though when I got home and tuned off the key, the engine did not turn off. I pulled the red wire from the solenoid to kill it, then started and stopped it a couple times with the key to test and it operated properly. Anyone ever run across this? What might that be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Jeepers, it is not just one problem that comes along for you!!!

It sounds like alternator feedback. Next time unplug the alternator and see if that stops it. If so the cure is a diode.
Which "red wire" the one on the "I" terminal?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2014, 05:21 AM   #22
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I had a bad set of contacts in the starter solenoid which caused the old jeep to stay running.

But yours is new. Though in this day and age it don't mean too much.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #23
TGL
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Which "red wire" the one on the "I" terminal?
Well, I believe that it is the correct terminal. Stupidly, the terminals are not labelled on the solenoid, so I called the manufacturer and they told me where to put each wire. Any way to test that they are actually correct?
Unread 04-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #24
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGL
Well, I believe that it is the correct terminal. Stupidly, the terminals are not labelled on the solenoid, so I called the manufacturer and they told me where to put each wire. Any way to test that they are actually correct?
One little stud will energize the start solenoid ("Klick" and make the starter spin) and the other little stud will be hot only when the solenoid is energized.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #25
TGL
1984 CJ7 

Looks like it was a loose connection on the solenoid, all seems well now. Thanks to everyone for your help and feedback.

Tags
electrical , ignition , starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.