Key release no workeyyyyy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Key release no workeyyyyy

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
tripmaker
1982 CJ7 

Key release no workeyyyyy

Question do you have to pull the steering column to fix this? And or can I just delete it all together? I never did like key locks. I looked in my book but sometimes it's Greek lol.
Thanks

position_51470

Unread 09-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmaker View Post
Question do you have to pull the steering column to fix this? And or can I just delete it all together? I never did like key locks. I looked in my book but sometimes it's Greek lol.
Thanks

position_51470
What exactly are you referring to? Is it the push bottom mechanism or is the key not going all the way back to OFF position?

It could just need the steering wheel pulled and the rod checked/replaced because its out of position from doing its job or broken. Sometimes is does not work because it so dry and it binds. Greasing that rod in obvious places may help.
258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
tripmaker
1982 CJ7 

I think both. First the release lever does not move no more than 1/4" and the key rolling back to off is hard wheel has to be in the sweet spot. I'm not for sure what's going on.

Tripmaker

(
)
Unread 09-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmaker View Post
I think both. First the release lever does not move no more than 1/4" and the key rolling back to off is hard wheel has to be in the sweet spot. I'm not for sure what's going on.

Tripmaker

(
)
Have you tried wiggling the steering wheel back and forth a little when you depress that lever? Does doing that make it work all the time? I know mine needs a wiggle every now and then to get to that sweet spot you mention. With mine, I think it's the column switch which requires me to pull the steering wheel and replace it. There is a Release Lever spring that makes that function well; in the photo, its item #21. The SW has to be pulled and then you can reach it. The image shows the rod as well.

Mine works but it needs to be replaced. I found a broken clip/spring on my floor and could not figure out what it was from. Turns out, it is that clip. The column does NOT need to be pulled.
cj_column-diagram.jpg  
258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
tripmaker
1982 CJ7 

Thanks 258 I was in college station to day and it would take me 2 to 5 minutes to get the key out. What a pia . I know you said I didn't need to pull the column but I might just to replace the bearings and repaint it. One less thing to take care of. Hey one other thing who has the spring you was talking about?

Thanks
Tripmaker

trip maker
Unread 09-14-2015, 10:17 PM   #6
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

You can do it with some white lithium and a long extension hose if you have tilt. I know most folk advise against whit lithium due to it getting gummy, but I haven't had a problem. i shot some in the key release and some in above the spring then worked it in good. When it gets stiff hit it again! Done mine twice in three years.
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.