Kevin's 81 Scrambler Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Kevin's 81 Scrambler Build

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
kjhibbs
1981 CJ8 

Kevin's 81 Scrambler Build

Well, I started this project a while back and resisted the build thread for quite some time, but have come to the conclusion that there is much to be said about the help and accountability a build thread provides...

So a little history. I had a 1980 CJ7 for awhile, and loved it. At the time my wife and I had 3 kids, and I swapped in the front seat from a newer Dodge Dakota so I had a middle seat for a car seat and could fit all 5 of us. It was great, and about 3 years back when we moved from California to Kansas we hauled the Jeep along with us.

A couple years back I was perusing Craigslist as many of us do and stumbled upon this Scrambler. The reason it caught my eye was because it was cheap, but I pushed it out of my mind. A few months later I saw it again and thought I could buy it, do a cheap rebuild, and resell it in order to pay off my wife's student loan. So I bought it for $1500, and hauled it back to the house.

A little time passed and the project had gone nowhere, mostly because we had a kitchen remodel that was taking much of my time. Then my wife and I discovered that we were expecting our fourth child, and the CJ7 was just not going to cut it anymore and the Scrambler became my new object of attention because I could add a second bench seat in the back and ultimately seat the entire family. So the frame off rebuild began.

As I dove in I found that the frame was half filled with mud and grass and was rotted through in a couple places. I purchased some plate steel and chopped out the rusted pieces and cleaned out the frame, then had a friend of mine weld the new plate in.
[IMG][/IMG]

I then set to clean the tub up, which was uber rusted, much more than I saw when I bought it. I cut and cut and cut, then I ultimately just put the tub away and sought to work on something else because it was just too much.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I then coated the frame in Hammerite, purchased some CrabTree shackles, and got some Old Man Emu 4" lift springs from Craigslist and got the frame back on tires and axles.

[IMG][/IMG]

For the engine I am swapping in a Vortec 4.3l with the 4l60e transmission. I did a top end job on it, regasketed, and painted the whole thing. I purchased some MORE bombproof motor mounts. Got that all mocked up and installed.

[IMG][/IMG]

The 4l60e had a 2 wheel drive tailhousing and output shaft so I swapped it with a 4 wheel drive one and changed the output shaft. I also purchased a 27 spline input shaft for the Dana 300 along with a sealed input bearing and double lip input seal so I could bolt it up to the tranny. Turns out I had to also add an Advance Adapters clocking ring because the tranny output shaft bottomed out in the D300 input shaft.

That's where I am out right now, trying to figure out the VSS and sourcing axles and such. I gotta jet right now, but I will take more pics as I move along and discuss some of the obstacles I am facing other than the money one of course. It is fun, I have no idea when I will finish, but I am having a good time.

Unread 02-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like an awesome build!! Dont forget to take lots of pictures and keep mama happy or the Jeep build will end! HAHA Ask me how i know.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
kjhibbs
1981 CJ8 

That's funny. The build had kind of stalled out and I was working on another vehicle when my wife told me to go ahead and use the tax return to move the Scrambler forward. Gotta love it when that happens.
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
kjhibbs
1981 CJ8 

I worked on fitting the vehicle speed sensor into the transmission tail housing tonight. Got the hole drilled through the case and then widened the outer hole.

This allowed the sensor to fit through the outer case and seat on the inner part of the case and will be close enough to the vss gear.

I should be able to modify the original mount for the sensor to hold it in place along with some blue rtv to seal it up.

Once I wrap this up I need to figure out the vss gear. Advance Adapters sells a one that will bolt onto the 4x4 tranny output shaft, but I would like to try and fit the gear that I pulled off the 2 wheel drive shaft. Anybody have any experience with the vss for these engines?
Unread 02-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Schweet. Another Scrambler in the mix.

Unread 02-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
kjhibbs
1981 CJ8 

Was home for lunch today when inspiration hit for mounting the VSS gear. I borrowed a micrometer from a friend and measured the OD of the tranny out put shaft and the ID of the VSS gear. Next I figured the size of the gap and found a small piece of sheet metal that I cut and shaped into a "shim." After it was shaped I beveled the edge in order to help the VSS gear slide on. Here is a shot of the shim:

I only had time to pop the shim onto the output shaft:

I plan to hold it in place with some vice grips as I pound / tap the gear into place.

Once it is on it should be pretty snug. I wonder though, should I tack weld it into place? Can I even weld onto the tranny output shaft?
Unread 02-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjhibbs View Post
my wife told me to go ahead and use the tax return to move the Scrambler forward. Gotta love it when that happens.
Can you say that a little louder please. I just got our taxes done last night and the check is on the way.

Always love a Scrambler build. Hard to believe you found some rust though!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
kjhibbs
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Can you say that a little louder please. I just got our taxes done last night and the check is on the way.
Yeah, my wife is pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Hard to believe you found some rust though!
I know, right? Oh well, that's life.
Unread 02-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #9
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

You could tack weld it or a little JB Weld would hold it in place too.
Unread 02-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
kjhibbs
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
You could tack weld it or a little JB Weld would hold it in place too.
Well unfortunately as I was tapping the gear into place it split in half . I gave the guys from Advance Adapters a call and they are sending me one from their kit that has a collar attached to the gear in order to clamp down onto the tranny output shaft. Should work great, and be nice and snug.
Unread 02-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
1983 CJ7 

Alright, another Scrambler build and something a little different with the 4.3/4L60
Unread 03-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
kjhibbs
1981 CJ8 

Made a little progress today, I was mainly focusing on the VSS. I received the tone ring from Advance Adapters a few days ago, and I was able to shim the shaft a little in order for it to fit well. Note that I was not using it on the application it was intended for. I have been trying to make this all work without purchasing the expensive adapters that go between the 4l60e and the Dana 300. If it works I will have saved a couple hundred dollars, if not then I will have to spend a little extra money and disassemble the drivetrain... oh well. It is what it is.

The VSS needed to be placed .01 to .012 inches away from the tone ring, so after I got all that set I ultra blue RTV'd the junk out of it to seal it all up. It really looks kinda rough, but I think it will hold up just fine.

I also purchased a set of widetrack axles from a fellow member that got here yesterday. It is the AMC20 rear with 1 piece shafts, 4.11 gears, and an ARB air locker. The front is a Dana 30 with Detroit Locker, 4.11s and a JKS steering setup. I am pretty excited, and for what I am going to do with the rig they will work out just fine.
Unread 03-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #13
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do you plan to use the Dana 300? If not, do you know of any passenger drop Chevy T case that will bolt up your 4L60E?
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #14
kjhibbs
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
Do you plan to use the Dana 300? If not, do you know of any passenger drop Chevy T case that will bolt up your 4L60E?
At this point the D300 is the plan. I actually am not aware of any passenger drop Chevy transfer case, but they may exist, does anybody have that info?

From my understanding Chevy transfer cases are chain drive, and I would like to stick with a gear driven transfer case for strength and reliability.
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #15
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice build. I always enjoy seeing a Scrambler rebuild.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.