Kentrol Stainless Dash. Anyone have one? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Kentrol Stainless Dash. Anyone have one?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Kentrol Stainless Dash. Anyone have one?

Does anyone have this Kentrol stainless dash?

Unmolested OEM dashes are hard to find. I have one but it's rusting out between the reinforcement and the dash itself and would be a complete pain to try and repair. The Logan's dash the speaker holes aren't machined right and neither are the Rugged Ridge/Omix dashes. The Double D dash is pretty good but the glove box edge isn't rolled like the OEM dash.

What I'm looking to ask about this one is if the glove box opening has rolled edges like original and if it has the reinforcements along the bottom and at the heater controls like the OEM dashes have.

If anyone has one of these and can answer my questions I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Nobody knew anything about this? I'm researching who makes the best stainless replacement dash. I'd heard that Kentrol does alot of the best stainless parts, but here I found more mention of Logan's. I'd really appreciate it if somebody has some input on the topic ...

John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

... can't take credit for the graphic ... but it's cool, ain't it?
Sherms-CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Nobody had any input on this - Bummer Well, I called Morris 4x4 and was told that the steel in the Kentrol is actually higher quality. That being said, I'm still not sure as to which I want since the Logan's dash can be bought with the holes pre-cut for the optional tachometer and clock; whereas I haven't seen that with Kentrol.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 10-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Alright - so I ordered the Logan's dash anyway on the basis that I doubt that the steel quality wouldn't be "much" lower, i.e. I don't think it would really make much of a difference. I also think I'd read here that other forum members were plenty happy with dashes from Logan's. That said, I do still have a question. The owner of the shop where my CJ is being painted said he thought a bright stainless dash might be too much and he said he could paint stainless steel. However, there's a line on Logan's web site that implies that their stainless dashes aren't "paintable"? Alright, so can a Logan's stainless steel dash be painted? Then, should it be painted? What's your opinion on which one would look cooler, a traditional dash painted to match the color of the Jeep, or a bright shiny stainless steel dash? What do you think?

stainless_jeep_dash.jpg

painted_jeep_dash.jpg

Actually, I think I'm leaning towards the unpainted stainless dash ...

Although, I could kill Rich ... after seeing his custom work, I don't know if I'll ever be happy with anything that I do or choose on this ...

rixcj_dash_1.jpg

rixcj_dash_2.jpg

Here's his thread on this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/im...-pics-1037163/

Incredible! Amazing work Rich!

Best -
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 10-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

Sorry just seen your post.

Don't remember the brand, got it at a swap meet with no box.

My dash is brushed stainless, the only thing I don't like is it reflects light sometimes back at you. I usually have sun glasses on anyways so not that big of deal.

[IMG][/IMG]
Paint it to match

My NP435 install [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/time-tranny-swap-upgrading-np435-1487201/[/url]
78FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Hey Dude!

Thanks for the input and for posting the picture - your dash looks pretty frigg'n sweet! Nice setup and that's a pretty cool steering wheel too!

Best -
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 10-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78FordF150 View Post
Sorry just seen your post.

Don't remember the brand, got it at a swap meet with no box.

My dash is brushed stainless, the only thing I don't like is it reflects light sometimes back at you. I usually have sun glasses on anyways so not that big of deal.

[IMG][/IMG]
That's a Logan's dash. You can tell by the way the speaker grilles are cut. Instead of two equal columns of rows, the Logan's has two wider and a narrow column in the middle.

That's why I wanted to know more about the Kentrol is because it appears that the holes and speaker grilles are correct to the original.

Unread 10-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Hey BlkCJ7Laredo,

I should apologize - I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I hope you don't mind a question or two from me as you do seem to know allot about the Logan's dash. So, what is your main objection to the dash from Logan's? Is it only the fact that the speaker cutouts don't match the OEM style? Do you know if the Logan's dash has rolled edges like original and if it has the reinforcements along the bottom and at the heater controls like the OEM dashes? You see, I've already placed an order from Morris 4x4 for a Logan's dash, but if you know it doesn't have the reinforcements etc., then I'm cancelling my order and I'll look to find one that does.

Best regards -
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 10-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

I just went and looked at mine and it doesn't have the reinforcement rib you are talking about for the heater controls. But my dash doesn't flex much when I pull the cables out either.

It has about 1 3/8in flat on the bottom of the dash that is bent in at 90deg.

Not sure what you are talking about on the rolled edge for the glove box. The sides of mine are straight edge where they cut it out. On the bottom there is a bend in the middle were there is a lip for the glove box to bolt to. My glove box fits nice and snug and the edges of the dash lined up flush all the way around. No worries about catching skin on the edges.

Hope this helps.
Paint it to match

My NP435 install [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/time-tranny-swap-upgrading-np435-1487201/[/url]
78FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78FordF150
I just went and looked at mine and it doesn't have the reinforcement rib you are talking about for the heater controls. But my dash doesn't flex much when I pull the cables out either.

It has about 1 3/8in flat on the bottom of the dash that is bent in at 90deg.

Not sure what you are talking about on the rolled edge for the glove box. The sides of mine are straight edge where they cut it out. On the bottom there is a bend in the middle were there is a lip for the glove box to bolt to. My glove box fits nice and snug and the edges of the dash lined up flush all the way around. No worries about catching skin on the edges.

Hope this helps.
Hey Dude!

Thanks for the input! Well, if it doesn't flex, then maybe it's fine. Somehow I doubt the Kentrol dash has the reinforcement either. Thanks again, I really appreciate that you took the time to go check!

Best regards -
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 11-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

I have info/answers for any who are considering stainless dashes and wind up asking the same question on Logan's vs. Kentrol stainless dash. I actually ordered the Logan's dash from Jeep4x4center, but they sent me the wrong one, i.e. I ordered the dash with tach and clock options, but got one without them. So, going on the fact that I was told that Kentrol's product was made of better steel, I ordered the Kentrol to replace the wrong Logan's I'd been sent. The Kentrol dash arrived before I'd sent back the Logan's dash, so I was able to do a side by side comparison and I was very surprised by the result. The steel of the Kentrol stainless dash was much thinner, my mechanic friend pointed out spots where you could actually see marks from welding, and the dash that I received was bent at the corners! Then, while not a qualitative nor quantitative measure, all present were in agreement that the Logan's dash "looked better"! Also, the Logan's dash didn't have all the pre-drilled holes for the dash pad and the like. At first I thought this a negative, but after thinking about it, there are many that choose not to install the dash pad, so drilling out those holes is left to the owner of the Jeep - which "I think" makes sense. Needless to say, the Kentrol dash is going back and I will be cutting out holes for the tack and clock and will be installing the dash from Logan's. So, there you have it ...

2012-11-10-12.52.38_smaller.jpg

2012-11-10-12.53.00_smaller.jpg

John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 11-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

You can paint stainless steel, no problem. Just use a wash primer.
Unread 11-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Are the reinforcing plates on the back side on the Kentrol dash or on the Logans?

The main things that drew me towards the Kentrol are obvious in your picture. The details such as rolled edge on the glove box door, the proper speaker grilles, locating tabs on the gauge holes etc. You can see the weld marks on the factory OEM dashes too so that doesn't bother me.

Unread 11-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
You can paint stainless steel, no problem. Just use a wash primer.
I was @ Q-Tecs open house and the Kentrol rep told me I could paint theirs. As I was looking at it I asked "If I scuff this w/a green pad, can I paint it?". And he responded "Yes, ppl do it all the time".
At that point I thought I could fix mine, or the spare I bought. WRONG!
I need a dash.
Plz keep us updated w/the install and any fitment issues.
Unread 11-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherms-CJ7 View Post
I have info/answers for any who are considering stainless dashes and wind up asking the same question on Logan's vs. Kentrol stainless dash. I actually ordered the Logan's dash from Jeep4x4center, but they sent me the wrong one, i.e. I ordered the dash with tach and clock options, but got one without them. So, going on the fact that I was told that Kentrol's product was made of better steel, I ordered the Kentrol to replace the wrong Logan's I'd been sent. The Kentrol dash arrived before I'd sent back the Logan's dash, so I was able to do a side by side comparison and I was very surprised by the result. The steel of the Kentrol stainless dash was much thinner, my mechanic friend pointed out spots where you could actually see marks from welding, and the dash that I received was bent at the corners! Then, while not a qualitative nor quantitative measure, all present were in agreement that the Logan's dash "looked better"! Also, the Logan's dash didn't have all the pre-drilled holes for the dash pad and the like. At first I thought this a negative, but after thinking about it, there are many that choose not to install the dash pad, so drilling out those holes is left to the owner of the Jeep - which "I think" makes sense. Needless to say, the Kentrol dash is going back and I will be cutting out holes for the tack and clock and will be installing the dash from Logan's. So, there you have it ...

Attachment 505381

Attachment 505382

John
Don't forget to use the Kentrol for a template for the holes before you send it back.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.