Kenton's S.E. CJ7 build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Kenton's S.E. CJ7 build

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 07-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
mxracer919
1979 CJ7 

Kenton's 5.3 CJ7 build

EDIT: I finished the frame off, drove it for about a month then tore it back down to swap in a 5.3l/4l60/dana 300. Getting details knocked out now!

Well, been wanting to start my build thread for awhile now, just been busy working on the jeep. I was planning on starting my resto come winter time but figured I already had made alot of progress on the tear down just to swap motors so spent a little bit longer and completely tore down the jeep. Was planning on it being super cheap just some paint and a wiring harness, but then I decided to swap axles, gears, etc when you touch every part it is hard to not go ahead and replace it. It is a 79 with a 304, t18, dana 20 with 4 barrel intake and carb. Hooker headers into side pipes, team rush distributor cap. 4" lift sway bar disco's. I have already aquired alot of parts, bought a parts jeep for the widetrack axles and tailgate for dirt cheap. I already have welded on the f250 shock mount upgrade, have new bushings a 1/2" lift shackles. Plan is to fit in 35's, have 4.10's to go in and have a front cage to put in also. Heres some pics.

What I started with

Parts jeep with front axle out of it.

Frame waiting on por15

Here is what I am going for when I am finsished, I love red! This jeep belonged to another jeep forum member and he was nice enough to share some more pictures with me.

Last edited by mxracer919; 07-23-2011 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: new title
mxracer919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
1983 CJ7 

Great start

Hoss will be happy
Unread 07-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
...Hoss will be happy
Hoss is ALWAYS happy!

(I'll be estatic if you tell me you're keeping the chrome grill)

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
mxracer919
1979 CJ7 

Got the frame, skid plate, fuel tank skid plate, drive shafts, and axles all in por 15 this evening.

Shiny!
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
mxracer919
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Hoss is ALWAYS happy!

(I'll be estatic if you tell me you're keeping the chrome grill)

Hoss
I want to do red and chrome, but to save on cash for now I will put the chrome cover in the corner and paint all the old hardware black to match the wheels till I have the cash later on for chrome!
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
mxracer919
1979 CJ7 

Got the frame scuffed and the second coat of por15 applied. Then topcoated it with two coats of a black enamel. Installed the new brake lines, put the fuel tank back in, reinstalled the fuel lines, installed the steering box brace. Got the locker installed into the rear carrier, waiting on the 4.10's and the install kit to show up and I can get the rear end together. Have everything for the front ready to go 4.10's and a new carrier. With some luck I can have the axles back together and under it this weekend.
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer919 View Post
I always like seeing the stuff in peoples' workshops. Is that a concrete mixer there on the right?
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
I always like seeing the stuff in peoples' workshops. Is that a concrete mixer there on the right?
LOL, I do the same thing Ken! Haha, Ol' MX has alot of stuff in his shop tho, I dont know how he works around it all. Went over there a couple of weeks back to buy some Corner rock panels, and he couldnt find them . Anyways looking good man, I was wondering if you were going to do a build thread, I will lend you help when ya need it. If I didnt live an hour away I would come over and help ya out. I just love working on these dang jeeps.
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
mxracer919
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
HAHA, yeah thats my dad standing right there. He bought it at an auction about two years ago and was going to use it for all these projects, but it has just sat. Yeah, I think we cleaned up a little bit since you came over Aaron, but its already cluttered again. The way I work is I remove it and lay it out so that I remember how it goes back....So imagine doing that with an entire jeep, lol!

We were planning on cleaning out the entire shop, and closing in one end to insulate it, but I started my jeep project sooner than expected. Hopefully I can knock it out and move on to that next to help him out. Looking at the pictures it really looks bad, makes me want to go start organizing it right now. Maybe after I get the motor back in the frame I can do that.
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
mxracer919
1979 CJ7 

Front axle with 4.10's installed, working on finishing up the rear.

Bumper and frame cover that I picked up from fredok here on the forum.

Yukon 1 piece axles showed up to!

Making some progress, still have a looong way to go. Not much of an update, but hoping to get all the drivetrain back in the frame and then move on to the body.
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #11
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

looking good.... can't wait to get started back on mine. Which should be tomorrow when I get my new 80gallon air compressor hooked up. Trying to use air tools with a 15gallon compressor is very slow and not fun at all!
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:54 AM   #12
06camarodude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice progress! You are an inspiration! I'm planning on restoring my '79 CJ7 a little bit at a time, but I have a feeling that when I find a new tub, I'm going to wind up saying, "Well, I've already gone this far, might as well do a frame-off resto!" lol

Keep up the good work, and don't mind the clutter in the garage, as long as you still have room to work, you're fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Matthew 7:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
That's a pretty decent crawl ratio, tell Matthew congrats. :2thumbsup:
06camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:30 AM   #13
mxracer919
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06camarodude View Post
Very nice progress! You are an inspiration! I'm planning on restoring my '79 CJ7 a little bit at a time, but I have a feeling that when I find a new tub, I'm going to wind up saying, "Well, I've already gone this far, might as well do a frame-off resto!" lol

Keep up the good work, and don't mind the clutter in the garage, as long as you still have room to work, you're fine!
Thanks, yeah they tend to snowball a little bit. LOL. Yeah looking at the pictures it looks alot more cluttered than it actually is, it think........

And about the inspiration part, I know just enough to be dangerous....LOL

Last edited by mxracer919; 07-28-2010 at 05:31 PM..
Unread 08-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #14
mxracer919
1979 CJ7 

Picked up some 35" bfg km1's on black steel wheels with a spare, and a dana 30 wide track with custom TR flip to steal all the steering parts off of it. Starting to get a decent pile of parts started......now that I am not running around picking stuff up maybe I will actually start making some progress, lets hope!

So anyways, I will be swapping the steering parts over to my axle...too bad I cant just use the axle, has 3.54 gears and a powerlok posi....so the plan is to reasemble the axle with stock steering components and move it on down the road....if anyone is interested let me know.

here are some pictures of the steering setup. Uses aircraft heim joints, pretty cool. Tubing is also chrome moly. He had the bolts upside down to keep from beating up the threads, I plan on flipping them just as an extra insurance policy.

Heres the tires!

Last edited by mxracer919; 08-05-2010 at 07:15 AM..
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #15
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Looking great. I like the BFG MT's. I got the BFG KM2's on my Rover and plan on putting 35" KM2's on my CJ7 as well. Frame turned out great, did you spray or brush it on? Did you coat the inside of the frame rails? I'm thinking of using the Eastwood spray that has a tube with a diffuser to get the inside of my frame rails then coating the frame with Chassis Saver by Monstaliner. I want to spray but I might just end up brushing it on. Maybe I'll brush the first coat to see how it levels out and if it don't level out like I want I'll scuff and spray the second coat.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.