Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 07-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #121
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Ken, That is so cool! The Tach looks great and I love watching you knock out these small projects. Good job.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 06:18 AM   #122
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Ken, That is so cool! The Tach looks great and I love watching you knock out these small projects. Good job.
Thanks. I stumbled upon another idea, which JeepHammer would probably say is nothing new:

I flattened out some large cardboard boxes to catch fluids dripping out of the Jeep. The original idea was to keep the garage floor clean, but I realized that it's a good way to indirectly monitor how much fluid is dripping out. Then I have some idea how bad a problem I have in a given area. When the cardboard gets too fouled up or I need to start from scratch, I just lay down new cardboard and toss the old.

Ken
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #123
featured
1985 CJ7 

Lets see pics of your flag mount in action if the 4th of July parade worked out. The city i`m staying in was a big let down for the 4th. I`m estimating tens of thousands of people showed up at the park expecting the usual show, only to have nothing happen. We finally left around 10:30 PM along with everyone else. Turns out the only big show was in a smaller town 40 miles away. Everyone is broke.
featured is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #124
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I didn't take any pics of the Jeep in the parade but here's one afterward on the driveway:

I'm hoping to get some photos of the Jeep in the neighborhood parade from a neighbor who was there.
Unread 07-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #125
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
...I realized that it's a good way to indirectly monitor how much fluid is dripping out....When the cardboard gets too fouled up... I just lay down new cardboard and toss the old.
I tried this method, but in trying to keep up with all the fluids my Jeepster leaks, I inadvertently caused a massive shortage in recyclable cardboard in a three state region......

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #126
featured
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
I didn't take any pics of the Jeep in the parade but here's one afterward on the driveway:

I'm hoping to get some photos of the Jeep in the neighborhood parade from a neighbor who was there.
Looks great!
featured is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #127
geochaf1

1984 CJ7 

The white painted spare looks great (as does the rest of the Jeep)!
geochaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #128
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

A few days ago I finally took a crack at removing vaccum lines unnecessary after the Nutter Bypass. This thread was very helpful:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/va...ypass-1047507/

At first it was a daunting task because it seemed like everything connected to everything else and it was difficult to know what to pull and what to leave. Afterall, I didn't want to break anything.

Ultimately, after identifying the various components and learning what went where (and getting some help from JF), I was confident that I knew what I could pull. I ended up with this assortment of plumbing on the garage floor:

My goal was to pull the computer-related stuff and keep the emissions-related parts.

For the first time, I was able to see the back of the 258:

After the removal procedure the Jeep idled about 200 RPM lower but otherwise ran fine.

The next day I replaced most of the remaining vaccum lines and vent hoses and got things looking a small step better.

Later that day I installed the rebuilt Carter BBD and I couldn't get the engine to idle. It was a huge let down and I was ready to go to the dark side and investigate a MC2100. I did quite a bit of reading on the MC2100 conversion for a 258 and learned a lot. So ultimately it was a helpful to get that knowledge if I need it in the future. But, I believe that a BBD can probably be made to run right, or at least one should spend some time working with it before going to the dark side.

Dropping in a Motorcraft 2100 is no panacea, that's for sure. If you have vaccum leaks or timing problems, no carb is going to make the engine run right. Plus, finding the right and 2100 and rebuilding it and buying/finding/fabricating the correct extra required pieces becomes a small project on its own. It would probably cost $100 to do this from parts (used carb, adapter plate, rebuild kit, air filter housing, air filter) or $300 from the Ebay guy Mike Ehermann. After learning all that it made sense to keep working on the Carter.

I posted for advise again in this thread while continuing to investigate the issue myself...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ca...tions-1053544/

The next day I did get her idling, although roughly. The above thread has a post that details what I did to revive her. Very generally it comes down to starting to understand what the various components do and then reading the Factory Service Manual to learn how to adjust things. For a while I had no idea where to start.

Currently I have a checklist of things to check/test/adjust in attempt to make the BBD run right. I'm hoping to work on that tonight.

On other news, I talked to two people in the neighborhood who have welders, one of which is a weldor. Specifically, we were looking at the quarter-sized hole in the front passenger side floor pan. They were both happy to offer equipment and services, but they tended to want to take the shortcut routes which involved bondo and fiberglass, or tacking on new sheetmetal from behind and then filling the hole. My vision of things would have a larger area removed and then new sheetmetal welded in its place. I am hesitant to attempt this myself for a first welding project, so I will still plan to get some prices at body shops.

I also got another muffler quote from a place next door to the shop where I got the new vaccum lines. They wanted $270 (plus tax) for a new Flowmaster and tailpipe. Ouch.

Last edited by Ken4444; 07-07-2010 at 06:36 AM..
Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #129
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Two more parade photos

Here are shots of the Jeep in the 4th of July neighborhood parade. We were the last vehicle and were basically at the end of the parade.

Unread 07-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #130
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

.032" drill bits can be found here:

10pc No 67 HSS Twist Drill Bits: Widget Supply

I got a pack of 10 bits for $4.71 including standard shipping.

These are also known as #67 bits. This page has a chart showing the number and actual size of bits:

Drill bit sizes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #131
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Ken,

great pics of the parade...my Jeep was in our town parade on behalf of the 4H club my kids are in...unfortunately, my camera is currently missing which has pics of my Jeep on it. I enjoy reading your thoughts, keep it up. I just finished building my upgraded headlight harness last night and will hook it up today or tomorrow. It was easy to do but time consuming as I wanted to make sure all the connections were done correctly. This weekend and into next week I will be adding an OBA system, replacing my fuel tank skid plate with one I purchased from Max-Bilt and fixing the defroster flap in my heater box...the joys of owning a CJ, right?
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #132
jbanyas
1984 CJ7 

Ken,

I hope the Carb I sent has helped. I will have to say for $300.00 to Mike off Ebay for the Motorcraft has saved me a tone of headaches and time. I like to keep everything as original as possible but that Carter is not one of them. I have bought three from him over the last couple of years and they have all change the Jeep for the better. My opinion. Good luck.
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #133
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanyas View Post
Ken,

I hope the Carb I sent has helped. I will have to say for $300.00 to Mike off Ebay for the Motorcraft has saved me a tone of headaches and time..
I have read a lot of posts about Mike the Ebay MC2100 seller. I suspect that people who run into problems are more likely to post their views than the people who've had success. Plus, people have to remember that any carburetor requires a number of peripheral things to be correct (vacuum, fuel supply, etc). So no carb is going to work right on a Jeep that has those problems. The guy has been selling for several years and has good feedback. I suspect that there are some people who will never be happy. He seems like he will work with people to get basic problems fixed, but there is a limit to what he can do short of refunding your money. Anyone who thinks they can pay their $275 and be up and running in an hour with no risk of problems isn't thinking realistically. It's not like we're dealing with the simplicity of a hammer.

Personally I'm not ruling out a different carb, but I'm going to keep working on the Carter for now. I don't expect it to be great without some real work and learning on my part.

I have this idea where I can eventually master the BBD and rebuild one of the other ones on my workbench, drop it on the Jeep, and have it running trouble free after a few minutes of tweaking. I'll probably not have the time for that, but it would be neat.
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #134
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
I enjoy reading your thoughts, keep it up....the joys of owning a CJ, right?
Thanks. I find it theraputic to write, so I suppose this thread contains more than just pure technical stuff.

My bother-in-law is convinved I will complete working on this CJ at some point, sell it, and then buy another one in need of work. I wouldn't rule that out, but that's a long way in the future. Of course I hate the thought of owning a CJ that I can't drive.
Unread 07-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #135
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

Ken how did that oil change with (shell rotella t 15w40) work out for you?
I heard you should change again after 1000 miles because of all the junk that oil breaks loose. Just courious
nichboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.