Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #106
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Ask and ye shall receive. To be honest, I'm not 100% I didn't put the rubber piece on upside down...

Here you can see that the rubber is molded around the metal backing piece:

Bonus photo. Just arrived today:

Unread 06-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #107
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Thanks Ken!!! You are the man....that's perfect. FSM shows it at the top opposite of the way you have it.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 11:04 PM   #108
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Affirmative. It goes at the top. You will notice that your tailgate closes much better with it up there too! Refirb looks good too!

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #109
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Thanks Ken!!! You are the man....that's perfect. FSM shows it at the top opposite of the way you have it.
Thanks for the confirmation I have it in backwards. The indentation on the rubber piece (from the tire carrier bar pressing into it) would also indicate that you guys are right. I'll fix that today.
Unread 06-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #110
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

On the way back from the auto parts store yesterday, I stopped by this shady looking muffler shop to get some prices. The guy (whose first language wasn't English) quoted me a total price of $225 for a Flowmaster (of unspecified model) and new pipe to the rear of the Jeep, labor included. I didn't get specifics on pipe diameter. He also tried to get me to buy a shiny tip for the end of the pipe which I refused. The shop looked fairly clean and had 2 lifts and a nice looking Miller welder, but was far less equipped than a high volume place like a chain muffler shop.

It's probably not a horrible deal, but I can get a Flowmaster Super 40 for under $100 which is less than his price of $120. I came home and did some JF research to get a better idea of what other people have done. It looks like getting a larger diameter pipe (2.5" instead of 2" or 2.125") has a better chance at making a better sound. I keep telling myself that the existing muffler and pipe are perfectly fine and I should spend the money on stuff that's already in bad shape (rust, brakes, no radio, etc). I have no interest in headers or necessarily getting the sound that a v8 would make, but it would be nice to have a bit more rumble from the 258 by putting on a Super 40. Help talk me out of the muffler upgrade for now!
Unread 06-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #111
blackhawk51
1976 CJ5 

Awesome job thus far, have been following since you asked about getting it....

1 vote for GET THE EXHAUST lol
blackhawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #112
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

At the recommendation of a JF member I went with the 4WD cat-back system. Price was right! Sounds pretty good too. I can try to record the sound if you want. Not sure how well it will trun out.

Cat-Back Exhaust Kit by 4Wheel Drive Hardware and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH3
Unread 06-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #113
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I'm working on the BBD today. I started this thread to cover the questions and problems that come up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ca...tions-1053544/

So far so good. I have the first batch of parts soaking now. One of the stepper motor pins is bent for some reason which seems odd, but I have 2 other carbs headed my way. By the time I'm done with this carb rebuild I will be well trained in rebuilding them.
Unread 06-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #114
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Carb rebuild pics

Background: Two JF members were kind enough to offer their old Carter BBDs for very reasonable prices. I left my original BBD in the CJ so I can drive it. My plan is to rebuild one of the donor BBDs, using parts from the others if needed.

I picked up a rebuild kit and a gallon of Napa house carb cleaner.

Side story: When I was at Napa picking up the rebuild kit, the guy quoted a price of like $15.00 for the kit. I thought he had pulled the wrong kit because it was $5 cheaper than the price they quoted over the phone. I told the clerk this and he said he was giving me the frequent flier discount.

Note about this carb: It had been sitting for several years unused and before that it had been sitting on a Jeep for some time, unused. So it's very dirty and gritty, but cleaned up really well.

Here are some photos from the carb teartown:

Here are the cleaned parts:

I included this last shot because this piece always reminds me of Star Wars. It looks like one of the buildings on Tatooine, Luke's home planet in Eipsode 4.

Today I did complete the rebuild, but I don't have photos yet. It looks like I may be delayed on installing the rebuild BBD until I can get a tach installed. (so I can know my engine speed so I can properly tine the carb)

Anyone have any tech reccomendations? My fear is that the ideal place for a tachometer is the factory location which means I'll have to pull the dash and cut the hole. This probably means I'll have to pull the steering wheel, which isn't so bad because then maybe I can fix the horn switch. The PO put in a dash-mounted horn switch.
Unread 06-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #115
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

There are other options to mounting a tach. A column mount is not bad and is very viewable.

But I know you're going to do a dash mount! I don't think you have to remove it... just be careful of what's behind when drilling the hole.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #116
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Man that BBD cleaned up nicely! Good job man. How do the throttle plates look?

When I drilled my dash I held a block of wood behind where I was drilling. You don't have to hold it long... hole saw cuts through fast.
Unread 06-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #117
geochaf1

1984 CJ7 

I have really enjoyed your thread and have learned a lot! Small world, I actually looked at the Jeep you bought a couple of months ago but was not the right time for me to buy. It is a nice Jeep and I am enjoying learning about your improvements.

I do have some questions about your factory scissor jack that you cleaned up. How high do you think it goes and what are its dimensions?

Chris
geochaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #118
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geochaf1 View Post
I have really enjoyed your thread and have learned a lot! Small world, I actually looked at the Jeep you bought a couple of months ago but was not the right time for me to buy. It is a nice Jeep and I am enjoying learning about your improvements.
Thanks! Yes, small world.

A couple of summers ago I was keeping my eye on a dark silver/gray CJ-7 on Craigslist that looked appealing because I was looking for a 4 cylinder at the time. For whatever reasons, I passed on it and never did go to see it. Shortly after that, I went to look at a different Jeep from a different seller, and it turned out to the be the same Jeep from Craigslist a couple months earlier. I told the owner, "This looks a whole lot like a Jeep I saw on Craigslist a couple of months back..." He admitted right away that it was the same Jeep. I think it was an impuse buy and he already had a CJ-5 and was now trying to unload the 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geochaf1 View Post
I do have some questions about your factory scissor jack that you cleaned up. How high do you think it goes and what are its dimensions?
I'd estimate that it's about 18 inches high when fully extended. I will go out and measure it later. It's very similar in design to jacks I have seen on other vehicles, including my old '92 Chevy pickup. I use a floor jack in the garage so I haven't pulled the scissor jack out since i finished reworking it.
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #119
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Man that BBD cleaned up nicely! Good job man. How do the throttle plates look?
They look great. Some XXXX steel wool goes a long way in polishing some of those steel surfaces and removing any small rust spots that have appeared.

Quote:
When I drilled my dash I held a block of wood behind where I was drilling. You don't have to hold it long... hole saw cuts through fast.
That had crossed my mind and I read a different post where the person had done the same thing.

I ordered a Sunpro CP7906 which is a basic 2 5/8" tachometer. While some of the other more expensive brands look great, I decided that a basic tach would work fine. The other aftermarket gauges are Sunpro too.

At first I will mount it on the steering column. I can always move it to the dash later if needed, I think.

I am growing more and more eager to redo both the dash and the whole floor area of the tub. So if I do the dash, then I"ll have to pull it out anyhow and I could cut the tach hole at that time.

But, before and dash or tub work, I need to get the rebuilt carb installed and then replace the valve cover gasket.

My Ebay Carter BBD special (third BBD) came in a few days ago so I was tinkering with it last night. I was sitting at the breakfast room table after unpacking it, and putting it through the motions by moving the throttle lever. My wife gave me a hard time for making engine sounds while I was playing with it. It was pretty funny.

This carb came with the steel fuel pipe and a 8" long (or so) metal linkage that looks like it connects to the throttle lever. This steel fuel pipe must be the one that everyone has warned me to clean because it's a haven for debris. So, I soaked this one overnight in carb cleaner and it cleaned up really nice.

One step at a time...
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #120
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I knocked out 2 small projects tonight and had a big revelation. First, the projects:

First, I installed the new clutch fork boot. This was a snap. Here you see the old one on the bell housing, taken from a side angle:

Here's the part number of the boot:

Here are the old and new side by side:

You can't see it in the photos, but both boots are marked with "TOP" which is nice. Based on how the fork sticks out of the bell housing, the boot really only fits on one way though.

The new boot snapped right in without any problems. It did take a minute or two to get the top edge seated because I couldn't see it. The thickness of the rubber is probably 1/8", so it's fairly easy to work with without seeing it. The oil all over the bell housing also made it easier I suspect.

Had I known how easy this was, I would have done it a month ago.

Secondly, I got the tach installed. In retrospect I should have bought the 4,000 RPM model instead of the 8K one. That might have given a bit more accuracy, but hey, live and learn. My 1.8 turbo Jetta red lines at about 6.5K and I don't feel comfortable taking it past 4K. The CJ clearly isn't going to be happy after 2.5 or 3K.

I was surprised to see the tach had no mounting clamp. So much for cheap tachs. I dug through my plumbing parts bucket and pulled out two hose clamps and joined them together to make a single clamp that fit around the steering column. That worked well.

In the process of finding the illumination wire for the tach's lamp, I learned that the whole illumination circuit seems to trace back to the driver's side headlight. Yet another issue to sort out sometime in the future. Chalk up one reason for a new wiring harness!

For this photo, I reved her up to about 2,000 and the 258 was pretty loud.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 258 was idling right around 750 RPM which I think is about right.

Now that the tach is in, I can do the carburetor install.

I was cleaning up tonight and had a Revelation in a series of thoughts:

A Jeep this old generally presents an endless of stuff that needs to be repaired, which is why a frame off restore is so appealing: You replace or inspect everything, so you have confidence that all is well. The $20K price of a fully restored CJ is at the low end of the spectrum as far as new automobiles go, so it's not really a bad value if it truly runs reliably. Think about a typical daily driver (non-Jeep automobile): When it starts crapping out regularly or the odometer hits a point where you suspect the vehicle will start having problems, you typically sell it to avoid the hassle and cost of repairs. After all, you have to get to work on time every day. An old CJ is the vehicle that would have otherwise hit the junkyard because it's just not reliable or practical. They're just worn out and used up, but we buy them and begin an endless string of repairs of things that must be replaced. Again, this makes the prospect of a frame-off so appealing: you're getting the reliability (ideally) of a new vehicle but the personality of a classic.

This weekend our neighborhood is holding its annual July 4th parade. We're going to dress up the CJ for Independence Day and it should be a big hit. I built a custom three flag holder for the trailer hitch receiver and my wife had some good ideas about other decorations. Should be fun, especially if the rain holds off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.