Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #91
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmoore View Post
Not to change the subject, but why can't you fill the tranny with fluid through the dipstick? Does it not have one being a manual transmission?
Good idea. I haven't seen a dipstick on this Jeep, but that doesn't mean there isn't one...

Unread 06-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #92
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Today I got one small item conquered: I got the turn signals all working and flashing at a reasonable speed (not too fast) and I got the hazzard lights working.

For the turn signals I did this:

1) Replaced all the bulbs, including the Sylvania #158 "side marker" lamps in the tail lights.
2) Cleaned the wiring harness connections to the tail lights by dremeling the insides of the female pins and the outsides of the male pins and then using dielectric grease. The insides of the tail lights were already clean.
3) Refinished the inside of the front right turn signal. It looked like it had been full of water.
4) Replaced the flasher 'relay' (round, silver) with an identical #552 flasher unit.

For the hazard lights, I'm sure the above steps were necessary and I also installed a #552 flasher unit into the correct place on the fuse panel; there wasn't already one in the socket.
Unread 06-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #93
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Today I got one small item conquered: I got the turn signals all working and flashing at a reasonable speed (not too fast) and I got the hazzard lights working.

For the turn signals I did this:

1) Replaced all the bulbs, including the Sylvania #158 "side marker" lamps in the tail lights.
2) Cleaned the wiring harness connections to the tail lights by dremeling the insides of the female pins and the outsides of the male pins and then using dielectric grease. The insides of the tail lights were already clean.
3) Refinished the inside of the front right turn signal. It looked like it had been full of water.
4) Replaced the flasher 'relay' (round, silver) with an identical #552 flasher unit.

For the hazard lights, I'm sure the above steps were necessary and I also installed a #552 flasher unit into the correct place on the fuse panel; there wasn't already one in the socket.
Thanks, Ken. this may help me too. Mine don't work at all!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #94
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Here's a shot of the exhaust hole before patching it:

Here's the tire carrier latch after stripping and cleaning:

I repainted it today and it should be ready tomorrow. That's a good thing because I used a tie wrap to hold the tire carrier closed and it busted off while I was driving to the grocery store. Luckily I had a bungee cord with me and I used that to strap it down.

I have been meaning to post this next photo for a awhile. This is the bottom of the starter motor. You can clearly see a sticker saying "American...". I always wonder if this motor is somehow original to the Jeep, or was a rebuilt one that just happened to still have the American Motor sticker still on it. Also, you can see that the thing has been coated in what looks like black spray paint.

In other news, I tried turning the bolts holding up the gas tank. The rear-most bolts came loose prety easy. The ones toward the front of the tank took some real effort: The 18" breaker bar and some real muscle. I PB blasted them all again just in case.
Unread 06-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #95
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ken

every new post you make takes me back to when I got mine, it's amazing.

I had the same exahust tube problem, not sure what it went to orignally, but I folded it over twice, filled the tip with JB weld, and put a new clamp on- no problem.

as for your mirror, I'd gues that was someones attempt to move it up higher, as it should be mounted to the windshield? when I had mine replaced,I had them glue the mount back on higher than normal.

keep up the good work

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #96
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
I had the same exahust tube problem, not sure what it went to orignally, but I folded it over twice, filled the tip with JB weld, and put a new clamp on- no problem.
What kind of clamp did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
as for your mirror, I'd gues that was someones attempt to move it up higher, as it should be mounted to the windshield? when I had mine replaced,I had them glue the mount back on higher than normal.
My mirror bracket hack did not help much. The mirror still shakes too much. This morning I had the idea to increase the mass of the mirror by sticking something heavy to the back of it, but if the mirror is supposed to be attached to the glass then I should just get a new one and glue to the glass.
Unread 06-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #97
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
What kind of clamp did you use?...
IIRC- just a small Stainless Steel one.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #98
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I got home today and the side mirror bushings were here. I've had problems with my side mirrors moving around and I stumbled upon the existence of both rubber and stainless steel bushings. I figured they might be the missing pieces that would help the mirrors stay put.

Here's how it looked when I bought the Jeep. Two of the washers are rubber:

A couple of weeks ago on the other side (other mirror), I replaced the rusty hardware with stainless steel parts and star washers, but it really didn't give me much of a stronger hold.

It took some work to get the new bushings to fit on the old mirror arms. I thought that squeezing the arms in the vice to make them round would work (they were squashed into ovals), but that didn't get me 100% of the way there.

I ended up rounding them in the vice, wire wheeling the ends, hitting them with a shot of silicone spray, and then hammering the bushings on.

Here's the finished product, complete with a view of the PO's silicone sealer and touch-up paint hack job:

So, it's a small step in the right direction and was a fun 45 minute project.

The next major project is getting a rebuilt BBD on the engine. That's going to take a while because it looks like I can't order a rebuild kit until I get the specific number (if available) off the carb headed my way.

In other news: My power steering pump was about 75% empty. I filled it with Valvoline "leak stop" power steering fluid. There is no shortage or products claiming to stop leaks in power steering systems, and this gave me the fluid plus the stopping feature. I have no idea if it will work. The steering box is in a hard-to-reach place and I haven't been able to figure out exactly where it's leaking. Most of the body of the thing is glazed over. The hoses (at least the parts I can see), look fine. So I'm not going to worry about it too much. I'll just keep checking the fluid level. At some point I'll clean the steering box and it'll either look good, or it'll help me pinpoint the leak location. At least one JF post says not to try to rebuild this assembly; it's not worth it.
Unread 06-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #99
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I always joke with my wife about how the CJ is a "guy magnet" and if she wanted to get some attention she could take the CJ out for a drive. It would at least be a good opportunity for her to practice her manual transmission skills.

Anyhow, my neighbors have been interested in it too. My neighbor across the street is retired and about 70 years old. I was driving to work this morning and he was out walking and had a big smile on his face when he saw me driving down the street. I stopped and we had the expected conversation: how many miles on the odometer, what year was the CJ, where did I get it, etc.

This evening when I was working on the mirrors, my next door neighbor stopped by for a chat. He's a a jovial, pot bellied, middle-aged Asian family man originally from Hong Kong. He has 3 teenaged sons and they have a not so unusual collection of cars. He drives a motorcycle (no idea what kind) from time to time and I can always hear him fire it up. Anyhow, he has always been interested in the CJ so we've had many conversations about it. Tonight he stopped by after he saw me working on the mirrors. We talked for a while and he went on to say that in the Chinese culture my license plate had many lucky numbers. He went on to explain the meaning of some of the other numbers. He told me that he had talked to his wife about Jeeps and in a mocking, high pitched voice immitating his wife, he wagged his finger and said, "No, no, no!". If was pretty funny. He then asked me why I didn't buy a new Jeep and my first reply was, "I wanted an old one."

Last week I was talking to a co-worker about the CJ and he thought it was funny that I spent about half of what he spent on a brand new 4 wheeler. When I told him the CJ didn't have air conditioning he completely thought I was joking. I should have asked him if his $10,000 4 wheeler had AC.

Unread 06-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #100
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

Good work Ken, you need to give your asian neighbor a ride! Maybe you could get some home made egg rolls!! Ummm, egg rolls.....
nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #101
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I ordered a new rear view mirror. My 'fix' on the current one is not helping much. I did notice on the windshield, about where a mirror would mount, there is a small cluster of scratches in the glass. It almost looks like someone scrapped off the old mirror adhesive which would suggest the mirror was attached there at some point.

I also ordered a clutch fork boot because that seems like an area where we'd like to keep things out.

I have also noticed that if I close the back window then I rarely notice any exhaust smell. So that's good, except that I usually have the back window open because it makes for a breezier, cooler drive.
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #102
DCHCJ7
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Not to change the subject, but why can't you fill the tranny with fluid through the dipstick? Does it not have one being a manual transmission?
LMAO
I am so going to put that in my signature.
1986 CJ7. Slowly going over it and fixing all of the fun stuff. Mods....2.5" lift with 1/2" shackles, 32x11.50 R15 Dunlop mud rovers, Rear bumper with swing away tire carrier, custom front bumper. Warn M8274 winch with AmSteel Blue cable. Tuffy large storage box, and a few more things.....and more to come.
DCHCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #103
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

I guess no dipstick! How would I know, I have never had a car with a manual tranny.
nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #104
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I guess no dipstick! How would I know, I have never had a car with a manual tranny.
Every manual trans I've owned has basically been no maintenance until I got the CJ, and even then there's not much you can do other than changing the oil.

Short story: I bought a used VW Jetta about 3 years ago and took it to the only local independent VW shop in town and had them look it over. They warned me about the timing belt and water pump and how they are often changed at the same time ($$$), but when I told them it had a manual trans the mechanics basically said there was nothing they could or would do as long as it was driving and shifting OK.
Unread 06-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #105
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Here's the tire carrier latch after stripping and cleaning:

Hey Ken.... do you have the original rubber bumper that sits inside this latch? FSM shows it as a wedge-looking piece. If you have that, think you could post a closeup pic of it and some dimensions? Mine is missing, no luck finding one so may try to fab something.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.