Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread - Page 55 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #811
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Just as a matter of curiosity, have you tried running a tankful of 92 octane through it? If you buy cheap gas, like I do, you could have a gas quality issue. I have that problem myself in the past, with water in the store's tanks.
I did run a couple of tanks of 93 a couple of months ago and it didn't help as far as I could tell. I ordered 6 Champion 430 RC9YC4 Copper Plus Copper spark plugs as Mike reccomended above, and those came in earlier in the week. I'll try to get those in this week.

The pinging still seems to be present, although sometimes it's less noticeable. It's not temperature related (air or engine), that's for sure. Maybe there is a vaccum leak somewhere else.

Unread 09-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #812
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

General update

- The #50 jets from Mike Ehrmann came in earlier in the week. I installed them in my other 2150 but haven't put that on the CJ.

- I haven't installed those new spark plugs yet.

- Yesterday it rained here for the first time in about 3 or 4 months which was great, but there was a big problem because of...

- Our garage, which is a standard concrete slab foundation with a framed garage built on top, has big problems. The foundation is so far out of whack that the garage door has finally quit opening and closing. No longer can I tweak the tracks and the rollers to allow the door to operate on the crooked frame of the garage (like I've been doing the last 2 years) I had to disassemble the door to get it open so I could get the vehicles out. The foundation was leveled 12 years ago and has been adjusted 2 or 3 times since then, but it's really bad this time and it's going to take 4 to 6 weeks before it can be fixed again. So can't put the vehicles in the garage, and that makes it difficult to work on the Jeep, especially when it's pouring down rain.

- I's frustrating because the garage framing is only about 12 years old and is build really solidly. (the old garage, under ownership of the PO, burned down) The new garage was built on the old slab. I pulled out an 8 foot square steel tube, put my long level on that, and measured the corner of the garage that is whacked: over the 8 foot span, there was a 6 inch difference. Ouch. I can live with walls that are slightly out of square, but 6 inches is all wrong.

- The company that leveled the garage (and house) offers a lifetime warranty, but they pull this BS about telling you that the slabs are fine. Nothing to look at here. But this time I'm personally showing the moron they send out the slab is a big problem.

- When it started pouring down rain, I threw a tarp over the CJ but that was an act in frustration due to the wind. I finally parked the CJ under the breezeway and that got me about 95% rain protection. I then got the tarp on. It was all really frustrating because if the damn garage was working, then I'd have just been working on the Jeep in there.
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #813
moto450r
1985 CJ7 

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear about all those issues.
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #814
JIpock
1984 CJ7 

Hey Ken, I see you live in Houston, I live a little east in La Porte and feel your pain, everyone in my neighborhood is taking turns having those type of issues. Kind of noticed foundation repair places seem to warranty stuff as long as there isn't a problem. Raining a little today, about time. Good day to test out my cab cover.

By the way, love the thread, just got my 84 and have read this whole thread at least very informative.

Joey
JIpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #815
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I had already installed the #50 jets in the other 2150. Tonight, with the Jeep in the back yard while working under the diming daylight, I swapped out the 2150. I fired her up and could never get the idle below about 1200 RPM. I tinkered with the idle screw, the choke, and disconnected the throttle linkage but never could get the idle down. I ran out of daylight and patience.

So I'm hoping that maybe the gasket is hanging up on the throttle plates or something. Either that or I need to loosen the automatic choke and rotate it around a few degrees.
Unread 09-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #816
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

As much work as you have done on carbs over the past year, I don't feel like there is anything I can offer, except good luck!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #817
kevinsc
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444
I had already installed the #50 jets in the other 2150. Tonight, with the Jeep in the back yard while working under the diming daylight, I swapped out the 2150. I fired her up and could never get the idle below about 1200 RPM. I tinkered with the idle screw, the choke, and disconnected the throttle linkage but never could get the idle down. I ran out of daylight and patience.

So I'm hoping that maybe the gasket is hanging up on the throttle plates or something. Either that or I need to loosen the automatic choke and rotate it around a few degrees.
Ken,

I admire your patience with the carbs and agree with Skerr on all the work you've put into working out the issues. I'm following closely and hope you sort it out. Just wondering if the piggybank is saving for a tbi yet. My Carter is still having issues so I'm really starting to think about saving my pennies
Unread 09-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #818
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I admire the fact that you spend the time to tinker.

Fighting carb issues for years is what forced me to finally go to fuel injection. I had a pretty heavy built Clifford 258 but decided the price to add fuel injection to the existing engine was more expensive than picking up my 302 with all the needed parts. Selling the 258 helped pay for some the nickles($50) and dimes($100).

There is a reason fuel injection has been a standard system on cars for over 20 years now. (I'm starting to feel old)
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 05:49 AM   #819
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
..There is a reason fuel injection has been a standard system on cars for over 20 years now.
Yep. My old 1992 Chevy pickup just simply ran. The engine never had a problem other than the usual parts replacements (plugs, wires, oil, filters, water pump, alternator, etc)

I had the opportunity to ride in a co-worker's new Corvette yesterday, and that thing was a rocket!
Unread 09-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #820
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I haven't posted any photos in a while, so I'll throw some in here.

First, however, a short update.

I put the #50 jets into MC2150 #1 and the 258 ran like it was sitting under a beat up Carter BBD during a snow storm in Montana. I could never get the idle below about 1200 RPM so I started tweaking the base idle screws which got the idle down, but it ran like crud. It also drove like crud too. One trip around the block was enough to know that it wasn't going to work.

Today I put the #50 jets into MC2150 #2, which I had just pulled off the engine the day before and I knew was running great. The end result is with teh #50 jets was good: It runs fine, just as good as before. The pinging / pre-detonation isn't totally gone, so the jury is still out.

This was my first venture into the inside of a 2150 (both of them), and they're as simple as everyone says. Easy to work on. You have to pull out the float to get to the jets, and I was able to figure that all out without any problems.

A while ago I posted about the problem I had with the throttle return spring bracket swiveling out of place, but never did post a photo. So here are a couple. You can see the bracket held on with a single bolt:

The bracket is knd of neat, in spite of the single-hole design. It's a chromed, steel bracket that I got from Mike Ehrmann.

We've finally had some fall weather here in Houston, so I took the day off to work on the CJ and get some stuff around the house, alone, in silence. In celebration of the cooler weather, I decided to wash and wax her. Here she is in the back yard:

The photo doesn't show much shine, but she does look good in person.

My wife got home and I invited her to run her hands over the hood of my freshly bathed and waxed-smooth girlfriend. That made for a few laughs and crude comments!
Unread 09-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #821
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

On my old carb ther was a stud in the hole that stoped the bracket from moveing
carb1.jpg  
1973 Cj5 304 T15 Dana20 Sold

tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #822
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor1 View Post
On my old carb ther was a stud in the hole that stoped the bracket from moveing
ah ha! I see that. I don't know if there's a matching hole on the carburetor, but I'll check. Thanks for pointing that out.
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #823
1983 CJ7 

Ken, you sure have a nice looking CJ

With your meticulous attention to details, and the number of pick n' pulls and junkyards in Houston, I think you should build a TBI system for you 258 and ditch the carb altogether.
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #824
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Ken, you sure have a nice looking CJ

With your meticulous attention to details, and the number of pick n' pulls and junkyards in Houston, I think you should build a TBI system for you 258 and ditch the carb altogether.
X2. The junkyard Chevy TBI setup is pretty straightforward and you shouldn't have much trouble sourcing the parts and setting it up right.

Or you could run the 4.0 MPI system, but that is somewhat more work.
SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #825
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

By all means my intention is not to highjack Ken's thread, I really want to thank him as he gave me his old aluminum valve cover with the OMIX/Ada logo on it that he didn't care for. I replaced my cheap, plastic one with Ken's, here are before and after pics...Ken, THANK YOU!! p.s. the 2nd pic might push you over the edge and replace your carb with MOPAR fuel injection!!
img_0019.jpg   img_0023.jpg  
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.