Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #241
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Bumpers for sale

I'm selling my old bumpers. Local pickup only. Here's the classified post FYI:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...w-bar-1084822/

Unread 08-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #242
thomask
1985 CJ7 

Hey Ken,

I am wanting to tow my CJ7 and am looking at different tow bars.

How did your set up work and did you use it for towing your jeep if I may ask.

I have the stock style bumpers and have been shopping around. Anyone have any suggestions?

Someone in the Houston area can get a good deal on these you have for sale.

"Hey wave at a classic JEEP owner and make a new JEEP friend"
thomask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #243
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomask View Post
Hey Ken,

I am wanting to tow my CJ7 and am looking at different tow bars.

How did your set up work and did you use it for towing your jeep if I may ask.

I have the stock style bumpers and have been shopping around. Anyone have any suggestions?

Someone in the Houston area can get a good deal on these you have for sale.
This bumper and tow bar were installed by the previous owner and I never used them. Based on a few conversations with the previous owner, he would tow the Jeep back home with his F250 if the Jeep broke down. I think he was probably towing it short distances.
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #244
IdahoJeeper
1995 ZJ 

Just read through all 17 pages.

This should be stickied for all those guys that want and need to fix/improve things on a budget.

Great job, Ken!!
IdahoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #245
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Thanks! I have been getting a lot done lately including rebuilding a heater box for a JF member who offered me a new heater core as payment. My workbench is full of heater box parts. I will post picture-full update when I have more time.

In the interim, I have been reading up on wire-feed MIG welders and safety equipment in preparation for buying a welder.
Unread 08-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #246
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Decal install: From Joop to Jeep

I finally got around to installing some "Jeep" decals. Here's a before photo of the infamous "Joop" one one side:

Upon closer inspection, you can see the problems with the paint on the letters:

Clearly the surface needed help before applying the stickers.

Since my worn-out paint job is covered with Meguiar's wax, I figured it would not be smart to apply the new stickers directly over that. I was about to break out the rubbing compound, but I figured that 600 grit sandpaper would be faster and easier to control.

Here's the surface after sanding. You can start to see the original lettering show through the poor quality previous owner paint job:

Here's the other side after sanding:

The decals are tricky to work with. If you have installed a "www.jeepforum.com" decal, they're just like that: They're stuck to a backing paper, but also have paper stuck to the top.

Here's the front and back:

The first trick is to cut away the paper close to the edges of the letters. This helps you see the position of the letters in relation to the position of where they need to be on the Jeep:

After sanding and cleaning the surface of dust, I was ready to go. Here we see the backing peeled away from the first letter. I applied one letter at a time because the letters were spaced just slightly too close together.

Here is the letter applied to the surface. After it sticks on, but before removing the paper, rub it with a clean rag to press it on firmly:

After pressing it on, then slowly peel the paper off, pulling it at a sharp angle (ie: directly down), so that the paper peels off but leaves the sticker behind:

Here are both sides completed:

Another small project has been completed. These decals may not have a long-term life if the CJ gets repainted in the future, but I thought it was a cheap and important improvement that breaths a bit of life back into the CJ.
Unread 08-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #247
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

I wanted to see the heater box rebuild! However, I am sure many folks will appreciate the decal post. Way to go Xenonmods!
nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #248
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Heater box rebuild, continued

JF member Ned shipped me his heater box for a rebuild. Houston is a huge city so shipping it via UPS was actually the easiest route. It arrived in one day.

So I worked on both boxes at the same time. Here's Ned's after unpacking. He included 2 heater cores (one for me, one for him), a new Chevy Blazer blower motor, and a bag of parts:

Here's a new heater core:

Heater core with new foam. Here we see weather stripping. I had to trim about 1/8" off one side so the core would sit at the correct level inside the box.

Screws (for the back side of the box) ready for aluminum paint:

Ned's heater box was pretty clean inside compared to mine, but the outside of his was pretty worn out. I decided that painting it was the only way to get it looking good.

After washing and cleaning, I painted with Krylon semi-gloss rattle can paint:

Here's the 'welding helmet' as my son calls it. Now I call this part that too:

Here is my heater box, partially assembled. I wanted to test fit everything before sealing it up:

We can't forget the mods needed to make the larger blower motor fit though the firewall. I went back and fourth on how to make the hole larger. A 3.5" hole saw was going to set me back $20, but that would have made the cleanest hole. In the end I borrowed a Dremel fiberglass cutoff wheel from a guy at work. It took some time, but did cut the steel just fine. The drawback is that this cutting disk isn't designed to cut a round line. So I cut an octagon. It took probably 30 minutes to complete all 8 cuts. The trick is to let the tool do the work and not try to rush it. I burned through one cutoff wheel (it ground down to the size of about a penny), and slightly wore a second wheel.

Here we see a partial cut and the pencil lines of the octagon:

Here is the removed material plus the Dremel product I used:

I had to re-cut 4 of the sides to enlarge the hole a bit more.

At this time I have two 99% completed heater boxes sitting in the garage. I used RTV to seal the back metal panels to the plastic boxes and it needs to cure before fully tightening the screws. I will photograph the completed units tomorrow before shipping Ned's back to him.
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #249
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

That really does make a big difference. I missed where you got them Ken. Another very fine job, Sir.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #250
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
That really does make a big difference. I missed where you got them Ken. Another very fine job, Sir.
Many thanks.

I bought decals from this place and got them within a few days:

Pedal to the Metal

I had originally ordered from Welcome to Xenonmods.com and the decals never showed up. I opened a dispute with Paypal and then the things showed up a couple of weeks after that. Avoid Xenonmods!
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #251
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Heat

I snapped this the other day... The truck is 100 degrees in the shade, but the beer helped cool things down a bit...

Unread 08-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #252
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
I snapped this the other day... The truck is 100 degrees in the shade, but the beer helped cool things down a bit...

I'm with ya on the heat... and I wouldn't have expected a beer named Sierra Nevada to have such a sissy label!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #253
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

Looks great Ken! Did you buy a chevy blower fan too?
nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 11:55 PM   #254
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Nice work, Ken! It has become one of my favorite threads on JF! :-)

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #255
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmoore View Post
Looks great Ken! Did you buy a chevy blower fan too?
Thanks. Yes I did. I put some time into trying to find the right fan, because it seems there was a big issue with some of the fans having a shaft that was too long. The Napa website didn't give me the warm fuzzies about the part being correct, so I went to O'Reilly and bought part PM102. It fits perfectly.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.