Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 07-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #181
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Nice, looks like you should have that leak taken care of. I want to see that home brew in a glass not the bottle. I was thinking about brewing this weekend but I need to pick up some yeast.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #182
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Nice, looks like you should have that leak taken care of. I want to see that home brew in a glass not the bottle. I was thinking about brewing this weekend but I need to pick up some yeast.
Here's the same beer in a clear cup, but it's a beat-up plastic cup:

You can get somewhat of an idea of the color. The beer is a low-key basic wheet beer with a gallon of 100% pure cherry juice added during the secondary fermentation.
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #183
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Looks good. If I brew it will be 12.5 gallons of American Wheat, maybe I'll try that in one of the secondaries. Was a gallon of juice added to 5 gallons of beer and if you had to do it again, would you change the amount of juice you added? Thanks.

What's next on the short list of things to do?
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #184
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post

Here's the cover with one layer of RTV and the gasket:

You are surely making my life easier! Thanks for the step-by-step. Wish you'd come over and help me! And bring the beer...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:53 AM   #185
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
By this time I needed some liquid refreshment, so I pulled a cherry-wheat homebrew out of the fridge:

Does the cherry juice add sweetness or just the flavor?
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #186
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Does the cherry juice add sweetness or just the flavor?
The sugar in the juice is fermentable, so it is fermented and the sweetness is lost. So you're left with flavor and color.
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #187
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Looks good. If I brew it will be 12.5 gallons of American Wheat, maybe I'll try that in one of the secondaries. Was a gallon of juice added to 5 gallons of beer and if you had to do it again, would you change the amount of juice you added? Thanks.

What's next on the short list of things to do?
I added 1 gallon of juice to about 5 gallons of beer. I used this stuff which is available in many grocery stores around here:

R.W. Knudsen Family

If I could do it again I would double up on the juice. My problem is my largest fermenter is 6 gallons so I'd have to divide the batch into 2 vessels.

Back to the CJ, I need to replace the clutch linkage. That will take 10 minutes. I have 4 shocks on order so that will be a good half-day project depending on if I have to take the wheels off.

I am getting more and more eager to remove the crappy black interior paint and refinish the dashboard. THe complication here is that I would also need to weld in new metal in at least one place in the floor pan. So it would be a multi-step project.
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #188
ddumbauld
1982 CJ7 

I'm really enjoying your refurbish thread! I'm doing the same things to my '82 Renegade w/ T-5, 285. I wish I would have started a rebuild thread at the beginning.

In the past year I have:
1) fixed valve cover gasket leak
2) teamrush (very nice upgrade) and BBD rebuild
3) replaced T-5 fluids (using same stuff as you did) and D300
4) replaced temp gauge, fuel sender and gauge, oil sender and gauge
5) replaced roll-over check valves on 20gal tank and all rubber fuel lines from tank - that fixed a gas leak when the tank was full!
6) front seats

Things left to do (the short list):
1) Upgrade suspension. PO put on homemade shackle lifts and kept the original springs. Springs are rusted pretty bad. I'd like to put on a modest (2" lift), but not sure what brand. Have you put any thought into the suspension?
ddumbauld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #189
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddumbauld View Post
Have you put any thought into the suspension?
My CJ came with a 4.5" Superlift. It rides like a tank. I am happy with the height of the lift, but not the ride quality. I will be installing new shocks here in a few days, but I will be surprised if this helps the ride quality a great deal.

The smoothest ride I've ever had in my CJ was when I drove home with my my old 33" tires and wheels riding in the back. That extra weight helped quite a bit.

The fix for the rough ride would probably be to install new leaf springs but I can't spend that kind of money now, especially when I have no idea what will break in the future.
Unread 07-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #190
1983 CJ7 

That shows you how much I know about brewing beer, sounds good tough
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #191
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
If you and Mike and Ken all get together for the First Annual Breweister's Gathering, I'm making the trip!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #192
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Not a problem. If you want to read more, check this:

Homebrewing at kenblair.com
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #193
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Tonight I put things back together after gently tightening the valve cover bolts.

I PB Blasted the shock absorber nuts and then figured I should see how tight they were. Every one of the 8 nuts was not very tight. I checked a few and they were around 15 to 20 ft-lbs which seemed a bit low. But, changing the shocks should be a snap.

On two brief outings, the clutch linkage fell out of place, leaving me with no clutch ability. That was fun, but luckily I wasn't driving fast. I lengthened the linkage the first time but aparently it's still too short
Unread 07-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #194
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Ken,

Just looking at that pic of you holding that frosty soda makes my mouth drool...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #195
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Shock absorber install

Disclaimer: This post is a bit pic heavy.

The wife emailed me today to tell me that a package had arrived for my girlfriend: A heavy box from Skyjacker. I knew what it was.

Two #H7023 (front) and two #H7058 rear Skyjacker Hydro Shock 7000 series for a 4" lift.

Each box had a shock, boot, decal, tie wrap, poly bushings, and steel bushing insert:

Here they are, assembled. I installed the steel inserts not realizing that I wouldn't need them. They were a pain to get out.

To get the bushings in, I lubed them with silicon spray and they popped in without too much work, although I chased a few around the garage floor.

Here you see the front shocks which are a bit shorter compared to the rear ones:

The ends were the shocks are fastened together have some sharp burs. That's probably what you get with lower-priced made-in-Mexico shocks:

We see the old and new. The old shocks were all the same length and model number. The two old ones you see here are from both the front and the rear.

The model number stamped into the old shocks is associated with Superlift lift kits, which is what the PO installed on my CJ. I have to wonder if these are the same shocks that he installed with the lift kit 13 years ago.

You can see the old shocks in the front were too tall:

Front, other side:

My Japanese-made demolition bar worked well in pulling off this rear shock which did not want to move. The prybar did the trick:

All 4 old ones:

The old bushings were OK except for this one which was damaged:

The rust was setting in pretty bad here:

A parting shot of one of the newly-installed units:

I did not take a test drive, but hope to do so in the morning. The old shocks were actually harder to move than the new ones and I was not expecting this. I thought that as they aged, the oil in the old shocks would break down and become less viscous. I don't know what happens to shocks when they get old inside other than possibly leak. My old ones didn't appear to be leaking as far as I could tell. So, I still don't have much hope that these will improve the ride much, but we'll see.

The installation was super easy. I lubed up the nuts a few days before with PB Blaster, but even then they were not really tight. I used a pair of 3/4" sockets to remove the nuts in the front, and only needed one ratchet in the rear. The hardest corner was the driver's side rear where the top of the shock is near the muffler and the brake lines.

When I was done and I had washed my hands and arms with Orange cleaner, I told my wife that I might smell like orange because that's what my girlfriend liked. She asked me how the install went and I told her it was mutually satisfying, she played dirty, and we were both covered in grease when it was all over, but we both got what we wanted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.