Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread - Page 108 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #1606
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Kind of makes me wonder how the fuse ended up "missing" .
I've had springs delivered like yours were. In fact one of them was dropped sometime during shipping, when I recieved them, the bolt was in wrong and a leaf was missing. Rough Country stood behind its product. And sent me a new spring. This was 7 or 8 years ago.

Bill

Edit, my local O'Reillys has replacement poly boots, might check that out.

Also, a right angle grinder with a cutoff wheel makes for quick work on U bolts. I cut them in the center top of the axle.

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #1607
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplivin View Post
I think the plastic in between the springs make them glide along one another instead of binding when compressed.
Yes, that's my understanding as well. It seems like a valid concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Kind of makes me wonder how the fuse ended up "missing" .
Oh, most certainly I pulled it out at some point! Why? No idea. What clued me in was that I was doing some Internet research on one of the Jetta problems I had: The brake indicator light on the instrument cluster would illuminate whenever I enabled the AC recirculate button. Weird, eh? The only real reference I found to this problem was a forum post somewhere, and one of the replies said to check the #5 fuse. That's the fuse that was missing for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Also, a right angle grinder with a cutoff wheel makes for quick work on U bolts. I cut them in the center top of the axle.
Yeah, that idea occurred to me but I have this vague hope that I can sell the used springs, bolts, and shocks for a few dollars on Craigslist I also have an extra front drive shaft and 2 front bumpers that I need to unload too.
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #1608
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

JEGS leaf spring return

Brief update on the leaf spring return:

March 2, 2014 - Discovered that I had 4 rear springs and no front springs. I called JEGS to report problem. Was told to expect a call on my cell phone after JEGS contacted the manufacturer.

March 3, 2014 - I called to check on status and was told the person from yesterday had emailed the manufacturer but it was not know if a reply was received. The person I spoke to today emailed the person from yesterday to get a status check.

Later that evening my home caller ID indicated a call from JEGS but there was no message.

March 4, 2014 - 9:28 AM CST. I called JEGS again inquire on status. The person I spoke to (Amber, who was very friendly) asked me if the whole kit was wrong or just part of it. I explained again that it had 4 rear leaf springs instead of 2 rear and 2 front.

Amber said she had spoken to Skyjacker and said the front springs should arrive tomorrow (March 5th) and I should leave the wrong parts out front for pickup by the shipper who will have a label for them. She explained I just needed to box the items for pickup. I mentioned that the springs did not ship in a box and she said that if they shipped that way (un-boxed), it would probably be OK to ship them back that way.

So far I would say that JEGS was a bit slow to get things back on track but I'm glad the issue is moving forward. I'm not really in huge hurry to get the right parts anyhow, especially given the freezing weather and ice that blew into Houston a couple of days ago.

This incident is a prime example about what I always say: How a company handles a problem is a good measure of their quality. I can buy these same parts from a dozen different places, but how the problem gets handled will tell me a lot about how JEGS operates. Mistakes happen, that's OK, so I'm glad to see things are hopefully back on track.
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #1609
Kstein
1985 CJ7 

w.r.t. the sway bar link bolts.....my wild guess is that loosening the lower bolts (at the spring plate) allows the spring plate to rotate away from the leaf springs.

Semi-Related tangent: I replaced my springs last Fall. Started on the rears, and with the back frame on jack stands, I removed the wheels, shocks, and u-bolts. Then began to jack-up the axle to lift it off the springs. I was confused, when I didn't see the axle separate from the leaf springs. Then I noticed the rear of the jeep had been lifted up off the stands. Confused, I studied the setup and realized that the Jeep was only supported by the centering pins that had rusted to the spring perches!! I quickly lowered the axle (and the Jeep that was hanging on by those rusted pins) back down on the stands...extremely fortunate that the Jeep didn't free fall in the process. Whew. Coated the tops of the new spring pins with anti-sieze before install...seemed like a reasonable idea.

Winter is trying to hang on...even in Houston. Good luck with the rest of your install.
Mods: Mopar MPI(in progress); 4.0 Al Cylinder Head; OME YJ Suspension; MC Seats; Tub liner; 31" Tires
Kstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #1610
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstein View Post
...I quickly lowered the axle (and the Jeep that was hanging on by those rusted pins) back down on the stands...extremely fortunate that the Jeep didn't free fall in the process. Whew.
While I haven't run into that particular problem yet, I did feel somewhat uneasy having the front of the CJ on jack stands while I was twisting and pulling on the various parts on the front end while doing the removal work. During the times I had to get partially under the Jeep, used the floor jack to provide an extra means of support just in case. It's one of those times when you start to see the value in paying someone else to do the work in a real auto shop because they're going to have heavy duty lifting equipment.
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #1611
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

When I have to get under the jeep at those times, I usually shove a tire or two under also, just in case.
I figure the 12.5" tires would give some room to breath if the worst happens.

I always thought the frame was too high to be safely supported by jack stands.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #1612
Kstein
1985 CJ7 

Yep. The tires and the floor jack make for good back-ups. I generally have my jack stands on a (4" or so) platform, so that I do not have to extend the stands very far. Even still, my brain always asks "our your sure?" before I slide under the jeep.
Mods: Mopar MPI(in progress); 4.0 Al Cylinder Head; OME YJ Suspension; MC Seats; Tub liner; 31" Tires
Kstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #1613
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

I bought (4) 6-ton jack stands, used. They are taller than the lighter capacity stands.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #1614
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
I bought (4) 6-ton jack stands, used. They are taller than the lighter capacity stands.
Rich
I bought four 6-ton jack stands from Northern Tool when I did my lift. I could not have done it without them. They extend a good distance as well, which helped supporting the frame/tub while the other pair were holding the axles.

Ken, I hope you get the correct springs and JEGS fixes the issue. I've always had good service with JEGS and am curious to know how your ordeal turns out.

Also, looks like your pitman arm practically fell right off! I broke two pitman arm pullers and eventually had to almost grind it in half to get mine off. Good luck with the lift...as always, I'm tuned in to your thread.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky
Jester77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #1615
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester77 View Post
I bought four 6-ton jack stands from Northern Tool when I did my lift. I could not have done it without them. They extend a good distance as well, which helped supporting the frame/tub while the other pair were holding the axles.

Ken, I hope you get the correct springs and JEGS fixes the issue. I've always had good service with JEGS and am curious to know how your ordeal turns out.

Also, looks like your pitman arm practically fell right off! I broke two pitman arm pullers and eventually had to almost grind it in half to get mine off. Good luck with the lift...as always, I'm tuned in to your thread.
I borrowed 2 goods jack stands from a neighbor to hold the Jeep. They are more durable than the ones I have. I had to put some 2x6 board scraps under the jack stands to get more height, however. I put my low-duty jack stands under the front axle to hold that, and they just barely fit under it.

The correct front springs arrived late last week, however the shipper has not picked up the extra rear springs; they've been sitting on the front porch for over a week now.

I am satisfied with how JEGS handled the problem. The problem ultimately originated with Skyjacker, so that's somewhat out of JEGS control. I spoke to 3 or 4 different people at JEGS about the issue over several days and some seemed somewhat neutral about the issue, but one lady was very apologetic and friendly. All of the people did at least try to work toward getting the issue fixed, so that's good. I will give JEGS one more call on the issue about the return of the wrong springs. If they don't get picked up after that, then I'll store them in the garage attic with all of my other Jeep parts.

I had planned to install the front springs this weekend, but was busy with other things. (My son was competing in an Odyssey of the Mind tournament on Saturday.) Sunday was cold and rainy and i found work to do inside. Spring is approaching slowly this year. I had hoped to kick off the lawn mowing season this weekend but that will have to wait another week.

The pitman arm did come off fairly easily I believe. I had to use my cheater bar on the puller, but there were no major hurdles. My main worry was rocking the jeep too much while it was up on stands, so I was careful not to get my legs under the thing while I was pulling on the cheater bar. I think part of the ease of removal was due to the fact that my steering box has always been coated in either brake fluid (dripping from the MC to steering shaft), or power steering fluid. I think some of that probably kept the pitman arm from rusting to the shaft.

I hope to get the front springs on this week.
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #1616
1983 CJ7 

Looks good Ken, I need one of those bumper covers to hide the small line of rust that formed on the seam between the grill and the lower mounting bolt cover

243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #1617
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Leaf Spring install

Just a brief update. I will post photos later.

While following the Skyjacker leaf spring installation directions, I ran into a problem. The passenger side leaf spring would not detach from the axle. The leaf springs have a bolt right in the center that holds the leaves together. The round head of this bolt fits into the metal piece between the springs and axle (spring perch). The bolt head was corroded in place and would not come out of the spring perch.

So, I ended up removing the nut from this bolt and sliding the leaves downward to remove them from the Jeep. The bolt was left in place.

I tried using heat on the bolt: Propane and then "Map pro" gas. I then put an 18" pipe wrench on it to see if it would twist loose. My worry was that I the bolt would break off and I'd be left with a big problem. So, I didn't put too much pressure on it.

Ultimately I left the bolt in place and installed that spring onto the stuck bolt.
This made it more difficult to get that spring installed but it worked out OK in the end.

The front driver's side spring installed OK. After getting the front wheels back on and letting the Jeep rest on the new springs, the tie rod from the pitman arm is fairly parallel to the other tie rod, so that's good. I was worried that going back to the stock pitman arm would be problematic.

It is interesting to note that when the Jeep is supported by jack stands under the frame, the axles will sag down below their normal position because the springs are pulled down by the weight of the axles and tires. So the steering geometry looks bad when the Jeep is in the air like this.

I got the front shocks installed and then started working on the rear. I got the rear shocks and u-bolts removed. While working on the u-bolts, I noticed the existing shims between the perches and the leaf springs. I panicked because I realized I never figured out what I would do about the shim issue. I was going to borrow my dad's angle meter, but he could never find it.

I need to learn how to measure the pinion angle so I can get some idea if I need shims. I think I will be OK since these springs only give a 2" lift. However since much of the work I've done on this Jeep has been done 2, 3, or 4 times, I'm sure I'll end up having to re-do part of the work on the rear to install shims in the future.

Then I had to go inside to do work stuff and have dinner, so this will have to resume for a 4th day.

Edit - The Jeep does look noticeable lower in the front now. I have been making height measurements as advised in the installation directions, so I will share those when I'm all done.

Last edited by Ken4444; 03-13-2014 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: added a few lines
Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #1618
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

I've read that on M20 rear axles, the embossed round spot on each side of the differential cover is a good place to set the angle finder. This is the same angle as the pinion. Of course, the angle finder has to be as plumb (vertical) as possible while maintaining full contact with the embossed circle area.

I used those areas with a magnetic digital angle finder when I was determining my pinion / driveshaft angle relationship. It worked out real well for me.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #1619
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Pitman arm puller

I have several photos from the left spring install, so I'm going to split them up across 3 or 4 posts.

There's nothing really Earth shattering here. These pics just point out things that I thought folks would be interested in.

Pitman arm puller and socket for the nut that holds on the arm:

Here's a crude setup to show how the puller works. The brass garden hose nozzle is standing in for the threaded shaft onto which the pitman arm fits (ie: the shaft sticking down from the steering box) You use a ratchet to screw the center screw toward the arm. This has the effect of pulling the silver-colored puller down which pulls the arm off the shaft. Because the shaft doesn't move (it's attached to the steering box, which is attached to the Jeep), then the only thing that can move is the arm being pulled down, off the shaft.

It's a very simple concept but if you've never used a puller it can be hard to envision how it works until you use one.

Here's the puller and the old dropped pitman arm:

Here are the new shocks. They're the same as the old shocks, but shorter since I'm going from a 4" lift to a 2" lift.

This pic shows the Skyjacker model numbers (H7012 and H7023) and the physical length differences:

Bonus! If you line up two of the Skyjacker shock boxes right, you get a full photo of Willie from Duck Commander:

Unread 03-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #1620
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Here's the install hardware I received. Because my springs only requre the metal sleeves in the large hole ends of the springs, I only needed 4 of them, but the kit came with 8:

Here you see the one U bolt that's larger, to fit near the pumpkin on the Dana 30:

As I have written earlier, I am not impressed with the quality of the finish on the springs. Probably in the long run it doesn't matter, but I though I'd point it out.

Here we see the thick, drippy coating:

After removing the center bolt I noticed that the springs are rusted between the leaves:

The rust exists in many areas between the leaves on each one of the spring packs.

The new rear springs are noticeably thinner than the old Superlift springs. I hope this will help contribute to a better ride quality.

Old spring pack:

New spring pack:

Here we see the large eye ends of the old and new, side by side (red is the new one):

Other (small) ends. Again we see the new spring is much thinner, and of course has the plastic (teflon?) pads between the leaves:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.