Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread - Page 106 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ken's 1985 CJ7 refurbishment thread

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #1576
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Ken,

whats your timetable on the new bumper? I have every intention of putting a BESRK bumper on the front of mine to match the rear I got from him, but its not going to be for at least another 8-12months. My original factory bumper is in good condition though and just needs a little touch up paint from what I can see. If you arent in a huge hurry it's yours when I finally get the funds and time to put the new bumper on.

Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #1577
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
Ken,

whats your timetable on the new bumper? I have every intention of putting a BESRK bumper on the front of mine to match the rear I got from him, but its not going to be for at least another 8-12months. My original factory bumper is in good condition though and just needs a little touch up paint from what I can see. If you arent in a huge hurry it's yours when I finally get the funds and time to put the new bumper on.
Thanks for your offer! I need a replacement one as soon as possible. It looks like I have lined one up from an '85 from California for a fair price, so we'll see how that goes.
Unread 10-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #1578
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Well if Cali does not work out I have one but it needs a little massaging but it is yours if you like.
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #1579
spward

1985 CJ7 

Here is one in Dallas. I was just in Houston last weekend.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/4142741646.html

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #1580
wigsajumper
1985 CJ7 

Ken,

As a few people have mentioned I wanted to say thanks for the extra work you have put in to posting your progress in revitalizing your Jeep. I have spent the last few days living vicariously though your posts. My 85 CJ 7 has been sitting unmoved in my driveway for almost four years now while the two munchkins were born and we bought a house that that the wife has had me remodeling. Hope to keep reading your posts in future and good luck.

Thanks again.
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #1581
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigsajumper View Post
...My 85 CJ 7 has been sitting unmoved in my driveway for almost four years now while the two munchkins were born and we bought a house that that the wife has had me remodeling. Hope to keep reading your posts in future and good luck.
Congrats on the Jeep, house, wife, and kids! Maybe after enough good work on the house, the wife will understand when you get to work on the CJ!
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #1582
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

No one has asked me why I was looking for a new bumper, so here's the story:

A few weekends ago, my son and I were headed out of town to go camping with my dad. I was driving in stop and go traffic on a 3 lane road. I smacked into another vehicle and banged up the front of the CJ. Fortunately there were no injuries to any humans.

To add to the problems, the Sunday morning we were getting up to head back to town, the sky let loose and dropped buckets of water on the CJ and everything else. The CJ survived fine, but the stereo would no longer play music from the USB port. The cool air that blew in with the rain made for a cold, wet, windy, somewhat miserable drive back to town.

The CJ drives fine. The damage to the Jeep seems to be two things:
  • The bumper is bent/twisted
  • The driver's side frame rail is pointing up at at 45* angle.

The front hooks and bolts may be fouled up too but those are easily replaceable. Amazingly, the driver's side shackle looks totally fine; the frame bent upward just before the shackle bolt holes. I haven't disassembled anything at this point because I have been driving it and need the front license plate to be there.

The Monday after the wreck I called some local collision repair shops and quickly started sensing a trend. Here's what I heard:
  • We don't repair anything older than 10 years.
  • We don't work on anything made before 1989.
  • $150 cost to measure the frame and provide an estimate.
  • No new parts available. We would only be able to get parts from a junkyard.
  • We don't do partial repairs (ie: straighten the frame but don't replace the bumper)
  • Inability to understand that the frame could be bent without any body damage.

Clearly all of these places were geared toward people needing a turnkey job for their late model daily drivers who didn't want to get their hands dirty with a collision repair.

Then it dawned on me: The local 4x4 place about 4 miles from my house (Offroad Unlimited) does all kinds of fabrication and odd jobs and has been there for 30 years. They could probably easily fix this, and they would work with me on the details, parts, etc.

I called and talked to Tom Barrow, the owner. He said to bring it in. I brought it by after work one day and the gears started turning in his head and he quoted a $250 price to fix it, possibly by heating the frame and banging it back into shape, or welding on a new frame piece.

I lined up a bumper, which seems to be in reasonable condition, from an '85 in California and hope to see it in a week or so. Perhaps my bumper could be twisted back into shape, but I don't know about these things. Perhaps there is a $5000 steel twisting machine that could do the trick.

I never could get the stereo to play from a USB device, so I ordered a new head unit from Crutchfield which came in today. It is a different brand (Kenwood) but has a 2 year warranty and has all of the technical features and specifications of the old Sony plus more, for only like $120.

So, that's where I am now. The accident could have been a lot worse. I know it's going to cost a lot more than $325 to repair the BMW whose rear I smacked into, but that's why have insurance. Thank God for USAA.
jeep-wreck-accident-2013-4-resized.jpg

jeep-wreck-accident-2013-3-resized.jpg

Unread 11-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #1583
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I did wonder about it. Glad everything is ok, human wise.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #1584
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Oh wow Ken, sorry to hear about this, but as Bill said glad there were no injuries!

I just assumed you were planning a welding project!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #1585
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Heck, I just figured you had fixed everything else there was to fix, and ran out of things to do...

Glad everyone/everything is/will be OK!

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #1586
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Like the others I thought you just wanted a new bumper. Really did a number on the frame. Glad everybody was ok. I also had similar issues trying to find someone to check my frame for straightness. "To old" ect... finally found someone to check it. Good news was it only cost me $20 to buy them lunch (slow day and they felt sorry for me) bad news was my frame isn't straight
Guy Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #1587
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Brief update

Just a few updates for various things:

1) I lined up a bumper from seller #1 but am not confident that it's going to show up as the seller has not provided a tracking number. The latest word I have is that it should "show up on Wednesday". So, I may need to seek a refund via Paypal if it doesn't show soon. In the interim I will probably go ahead an buy one from seller #2 who has proven to be reliable in the past. If I end up with an extra bumper, maybe I can sell it.

2) Last winter I did not put the full soft top on the CJ because I was too lazy. So it's been neatly folded in the garage attic since the winter of 2011. Last winter I ultimately regretted not putting the top on, so this year I got off my rear and did it. The challenge was that I had to install of the brackets and rails that I had moved a couple of years ago when I redid the inside of the tub. So I had to find those parts, the bag of screws, and remember how it all went back together. Plus there was the question of if the top itself would fit right. I am happy to report that after about an hour of work I got it all installed and everything fits. That was 2 weeks ago, so I've been enjoying a full soft top and a fully functioning heater since the winter weather blew into Houston. Even the kids were excited to ride in the Jeep with the full top because they barely remembered it anyhow, plus they knew it would be a warm trip.

3) I got the new stereo head unit installed a couple of weeks ago. It went in flawlessly and easily. I had to connect 4 power wires with solder and heat shrink connections and install the new mounting sleeve. I had it installed and the tools cleaned up in less than an hour, and it worked 100% without any changes.

4) Instead of going with Alcan for new springs, I am thinking about going the Skyjacker Softride route primarily because of the lower price. I did line up a vintage stock pitman arm to use with the new lower lift. It cleaned up and repainted well.

5) I still need to replace the radiator, but with the arrival of the cooler weather I am less worried about it overheating. Of course the warm weather rolls back in in late February so that will be here before I realize. I have been pouring time and money into my backyard landscaping project and that's pulled me away from CJ repairs.

Edit - Driving the CJ with the full soft top reminds me of my grandfather's '74 VW Beetle. It had a soft top, vinyl seats, and the interior of the car had a certain smell. Not a bad smell, but a distinct smell. My CJ smells the same way with the top on. He bought that car new and owned and drove that car up into the early 2000's before selling it to a family member.

Last edited by Ken4444; 11-25-2013 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: added a paragraph
Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #1588
JayCO
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
- Driving the CJ with the full soft top reminds me of my grandfather's '74 VW Beetle. It had a soft top, vinyl seats, and the interior of the car had a certain smell. Not a bad smell, but a distinct smell. My CJ smells the same way with the top on. He bought that car new and owned and drove that car up into the early 2000's before selling it to a family member.
This is so funny... I "acquired" my '82 CJ from my wife's grandfather who wanted to pass it off to someone who could "keep up with it," and would "appreciate it." It's an all stock Laredo with a hardtop. It has "that smell." I told my wife that it reminded my of the '72 VW beetle that my dad drove when I was young.

They say scent is the sense with the strongest memory association/recall.
JayCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #1589
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

How did you make out with the frame repair?
Guy Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #1590
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Smilie View Post
How did you make out with the frame repair?
I haven't done the frame repair yet. I was still waiting for the bumper to show up, but here's the news on that:

Seller #1 came though and although a tracking number was never provided, FedEx delivered the bumper today. Too bad I already bought another one from seller #2. The bumper from #1 looks good although it has a slight bend which isn't a problem. I could probably drive the CJ over it on the driveway and bend it just about totally straight.

Anyone need a CJ bumper?

I can't see taking the CJ in this week for the frame repair. I'm taking a training class next week but I may be able to get the CJ to Offroad Unlimited at some point to let them work on it. We'll see.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.