I picked up a box of Napa/Belden cables at lunch:
When I got home I applied tuneup grease to the plug ends of the cables, installed them, double-checked the numbering and order, and went to fire her up.
The engine turned over...
..but didn't fire up.
@#$@! I was frustrated. I *just* went though this earlier in the week. Not again!
Before starting the real troubleshooting, I decided to check the basics: wiring order, horseshoe connector on coil, coil connection to distributor, reseated all of the plug wires. Nothing helped.
I turned off the lights in the garage and went in for dinner.
After dinner I returned to the garage and checked the basics again. I rembered having problems with the horseshoe connector on the coil in the past; the metal clips would sometimes come unseated. I pulled the connector and checked it.
The green wire was loose. Very disappointing for a new part. I pushed it back in place, reinstalled the horseshoe, then pulled it and examined it again to see if the green wire stayed in. It did.
I hopped back in the driver's seat, fired her up, and the engine came to life. After giving it a couple of minutes of QA, I drove it for about 4 miles.
What differences did I notice? I noticed several slight differences. The main difference was that it has a bit more pep. It runs a bit quieter. The exhaust is a tiny bit cleaner smelling.
The other thing I noticed, and this seems odd, is that when I shift gears, or I'm moving in 3rd or 4th gear and then shift into neutral and left off the throttle, the engine quiets down immediately. In other words, as soon as the load is disengaged from the engine and it slows down, it does so quickly and is then quiet. I may be reading too much into this. I don't know what would cause this, or if it's just in my head.
But, in general, the engine seems a bit more energetic. It doesn't seem to want to turn any faster than it did before, but the RPM range it is comfortable in seems a bit more peppy. I can live with that.
Tomorrow I will change the oil and change the fluid in the T5. The T5 will be a challenge because even with the hose I got that connects to the trans fluid jug, I don't know how easy it'll be getting the new fluid in the fill hole.