Keeping a CJ from Overheating????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Keeping a CJ from Overheating?????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-06-2003, 10:37 PM   #1
fLeXyJeEp

Keeping a CJ from Overheating?????

Hello, I have an 83 CJ7 258ci w/ 33s. I have the factory fan and everything. My water temp gauge doesnt work. Is there any aftermarket things I can do to keep the engine cool. Or anything I can do period to prevent overheating. Will an electric fan work or what else? Thanks for responding,
www.flexyjeep.rockcrawler.com

Unread 10-07-2003, 08:53 AM   #2
andyp65

they make electric Pusher fans that mount on the front of the rad. but if i were you i would invest in getting that temp guage to work. but the way the pusher fans work is to "push" air through the radiator while i think keeping the stock cooling fan on there

hope that helps

4wd and quadratec sell em
[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR][COLOR=white] AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue] JEEP [/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA MEMBER # 20 [/B]

And yeah its a real jeep with round headlights and leaf springs :)

Semper Fidelis!
andyp65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 09:27 AM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Is there any reason why you want to spend hundreds of dollars to install aftermarket cooling componants instead of repairing the temp gauge? Seems like knowing is better than guessing. Repair the gauge, then if you have cooling problems we will be happy to help you find out what is wrong .
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 01:46 PM   #4
aviator

When you replace the temp guage, replace the fuel guage at the same time.

Other things to keep your CJ cool:

Make sure you have the fan shroud installed (this is essential!!!)

go with a 180 degree thermostat

flush the cooling system

Inspect the fins on the radiator and make sure
that there's not a large chunk of them folded over. If they are, you can get a radiator comb to straighten them out.

Make sure the cooling system flows through the intake manifold and that it hasn't been bypassed.

Make sure the heater core hasn't been bypassed.

Make sure you don't have a clogged hose (due to corosion)

I had to do all of these things to get my CJ running cool, but now I can creep along all day in 100 degree temperatures without it overheating.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.