LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 46 Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 PM
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
This is the OEM one (for the OP)

Nope, that's not correct OEM either. This is what the original looked like:

George at J&G Classic CJ's is working on getting these reproduced according to the phone conversation I had with him a few days ago. I will be getting one for my restoration since mine got bent up on a rock in 1997 and the chrome was pitted anyway.

'85 CJ-7 Laredo currently under construction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 02-08-2013, 10:09 PM
CJ7Dac
2007 JK Wrangler 

go after market for one main reason-

factory bumpers are weak, totaled CJ#1 front bumper folded like a crushed can, if i had an after market bumper it would not have totaled it. CJ#2 after market bumper, some guy clipped it the rear, tiny chip of paint off the corner of the bumper, almost ripped the front of the other guys car off, it looked like he ran into a wall, and ended up with me laughing as he was picking up parts from his brand new car

As anyone who has driven a CJ knows that they are not the safest cars on the road, any little additions to make it safer is well worth it.

also for your hard top, don't get rid of it. i bought a 800 dollar super top and only used it ~40 times in 8 years, i would use the bikini half the year and the hard top the rest.

good luck figuring out what your going to do!
post #33 of 46 Old 02-08-2013, 10:33 PM
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCJ7Laredo View Post
Nope, that's not correct OEM either. This is what the original looked like:

George at J&G Classic CJ's is working on getting these reproduced according to the phone conversation I had with him a few days ago. I will be getting one for my restoration since mine got bent up on a rock in 1997 and the chrome was pitted anyway.
Its definitely the stock on on my Laredo. Maybe us Aussies got a different one.

post #34 of 46 Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 PM
letchcore
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7Dac View Post
go after market for one main reason-

factory bumpers are weak, totaled CJ#1 front bumper folded like a crushed can, if i had an after market bumper it would not have totaled it. CJ#2 after market bumper, some guy clipped it the rear, tiny chip of paint off the corner of the bumper, almost ripped the front of the other guys car off, it looked like he ran into a wall, and ended up with me laughing as he was picking up parts from his brand new car

As anyone who has driven a CJ knows that they are not the safest cars on the road, any little additions to make it safer is well worth it.

also for your hard top, don't get rid of it. i bought a 800 dollar super top and only used it ~40 times in 8 years, i would use the bikini half the year and the hard top the rest.

good luck figuring out what your going to do!
The bumper is meant to bend. It absorbs impact so it does not all go into the frame. The factory chrome front bumpers are thick for a factory bumper.

83' CJ7 "Strokie" Patriot blue, 4.6L, NSG370, D300, 4.56 gears, ARB's, Warn FF kit, OME Springs, 35in Kevlars.
83' CJ8 GM Torch red. 2.5in SkyJacker lift. Very stock.
83' CJ7 Slate Blue Met. 49k miles
04 Wrangler Rubicon. Stock
post #35 of 46 Old 02-09-2013, 06:19 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I don't think that's a factory bumper, even on the exports.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Larry.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #36 of 46 Old 02-11-2013, 02:11 PM
CJ7Dac
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by letchcore View Post
The bumper is meant to bend. It absorbs impact so it does not all go into the frame. The factory chrome front bumpers are thick for a factory bumper.
I agree, but if you hit it on the ends, it just folds in, when my after market bumper was hit, it held strong and didn't mess with the frame at all.

But that being said, the factory CJ bumpers are super thick for a factory bumper, but if your replacing it, might as well upgrade.
post #37 of 46 Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Tacuff1414

Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm going to keep it at a stock look.
The only thing I am debating now is a suspension lift. Would that be a
mistake on my jeep? I have 33'' tires and maybe a small shackle lift?
It rides really good and smooth at highway speeds and don't want to change
that too much. I'm not going to do any rough offroading at all. Just want
the clean lifted look. Thinking a 3 inch lift.
post #38 of 46 Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Bigjonh
1982 CJ7 

Keep it stock. original as possible.. I just finished rebuilding a 82 Jamboree.
Brouht it back to its original state. Looks and runs great.
Just my two cents.
post #39 of 46 Old 02-28-2013, 01:00 PM
19in1979
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacuff1414 View Post
I really like the lifted look myself and it would look great on there even if you're not going off road with it. However, I would avoid the shackle lift at all costs. You say that she "rides really good and smooth at highway speeds and you don't want to change that much", well a shackle lift by itself would really adversely affect what you have now - there are plenty of example discussions on here about that. A 3" suspension lift would look great on there but you'll need to pay attention with that to as it can affect handling as well. I'm not a fan of body lifts so I won't comment on them. IMO - if you're already running 33's and you're not having any issues with them rubbing and such, you may want to leave well enough alone.

Best regards,

Wayne

Living the dream at 8,500ft. elevation in beautiful Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado.
post #40 of 46 Old 02-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

ditto ^^^

Only in America do you have the God given right to be loudly opinionated about something that you are completly ignorant of.
post #41 of 46 Old 02-28-2013, 01:50 PM
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Here is my new jeep just for ideas. This is how I bought. The dust cover on the back has a seat where the back folds down.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2991944249.jpg   image-3848860644.jpg   image-2170024860.jpg   image-3250737434.jpg  
post #42 of 46 Old 02-28-2013, 02:50 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I love those dust covers...

post #43 of 46 Old 02-28-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Tacuff1414

Quote:
Originally Posted by INowUnderstand View Post
Here is my new jeep just for ideas. This is how I bought. The dust cover on the back has a seat where the back folds down.
Looks great! How much lift is that?
How do you like the dust cover? Did it come with a windjammer as well?
post #44 of 46 Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 PM
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Not sure on the lift. PO said 6". I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to measure. Not sure if it has any body lift or just springs or what. The guy had it done several years ago at a shop and not really into the details The jeep was for his son who never drove it much.

No windjammer and I took the dust cover off right after I got it so I could put the hardtop on. Will leave it on until the last of these cold snaps and I get my hoist in place to lift and store it in the garage. After that will probably leave it off because I will most likely be installing a sweet aftermarket 5 point harness seat for my 1 year old (aka car seat-not as cool sounding I know). Don't worry I will have the full rock hard sport cage for extra protection and will be cruising surface streets to day care in good weather via "Hot Wheels". Ready for the spring weather.
post #45 of 46 Old 03-01-2013, 12:59 AM
akguy09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacuff1414 View Post
lift it, lock it, wheel it, its a jeep for petes sake

1977 CJ-7, 258 w/weber 38, clifford intake/header T-18/20, 2-1/2" lift of unknown origin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.