Kahn Design - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Kahn Design

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 07-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
KahnDesign1812

Kahn Design

Hi everyone,

First post here so try to be gentle!

I've assumed the role of Jeep Wrangler Global Brand Leader here at Kahn Design in the UK. What I'm not here to do is sell anything. How I'd like to participate though is by sharing information and I feel your advice will be most valuable.

As a trade ask anything you want, if the question is too sensitive to answer then I'll have to say so, but for the most part I'd like to share what we do, why we do it, who we want to reach but most importantly, what our Jeeps are missing.

So, my turn first. Right now we produce two variations of the Jeep Wrangler and both are really urban cruisers rather than mountain climbing. The basics of the car remains the same but that rock climbing ability isn't a feature we're really selling. Here's the update...we're going create a prototype that returns the Wrangler to it's 4x4 heritage but with the Kahn stamp of styling internally mostly.

To make the best job we can and given all your experiences, what would you be looking for from a Wrangler if you were to buy a new one?

That's it...hope this post doesn't create a flame war on me and I do look forward to engaging with you all over time.

Thanks again,
Paul

KahnDesign1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

This is a Jeep forum, why would we buy a wrangler. You might want to go to a chrysler website or I believe they have a forum thread for wranglers, samurai's, and other similar 4x4's, on this site. Now if you want info on Jeeps and/or their heritage / legacy, then you are in the right place.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

I'd be looking for a Turbo Diesel that gets 30+mpg on the highway, has about 300+ ft-lbs of torque and good axles and transfer case from the factory. And LESS CHEAP PLASTIC PIECES!
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Simpler is better from styling to mechanics.
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
This is a Jeep forum, why would we buy a wrangler. You might want to go to a chrysler website or I believe they have a forum thread for wranglers, samurai's, and other similar 4x4's, on this site. Now if you want info on Jeeps and/or their heritage / legacy, then you are in the right place.
Really?
I believe Your Jeep was built by AMC, a car company. Does that put it in the same category as Chrysler? A little tact here....

This post would probably get better responses on the wrangler section of Jeepforum.
That being said, I agree with kicking prop. The diesel option wouldn't be a problem in Europe.
Stouter axles.
A continuation of the 4.0 FI engine (not sure of your offerings over there).
Real bumpers.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahnDesign1812 View Post
So, my turn first. Right now we produce two variations of the Jeep Wrangler and both are really urban cruisers rather than mountain climbing. The basics of the car remains the same but that rock climbing ability isn't a feature we're really selling. Here's the update...we're going create a prototype that returns the Wrangler to it's 4x4 heritage but with the Kahn stamp of styling internally mostly.

To make the best job we can and given all your experiences, what would you be looking for from a Wrangler if you were to buy a new one?
Well, first off, this is the CJ forum not the Wrangler one. But I'll humor you.

If I was looking for a new jeep, I'd want a re-issue of a CJ or DJ from the '50s. The engines and electrical systems were simple enough that the owner could do most of his own repair work and not have to worry about "dealer only" work or tripping some tamper sensors inside the engine and having to tow it to a dealer to get everything reset. There also weren't any major parts changes from model year to model year, so you didn't have to worry about whether or not the parts store had the exact part for your exact model year.

I'd also ask that it not be burdened by inefficient emissions controls (although efficient ones that are easy to service and don't require a lot of extremely expensive parts, are ok), "safety" equipment that doesn't provide a meaningful benefit, high-concept engineering that doesn't actually work, and most of the other dead weight junk that doesn't serve any purpose.

Also, cloth seats. I'm tired of burning my butt on hot leather or vinyl.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

^^^You'll never get that from ANY manufacturer. That stuff has all been legislated away.^^^

Also, the profit isn't in the vehicle. It's all in the worthless fancy stuff. I do agree about the cloth seats though.
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
MrWonderful73
1986 CJ7 

I think a diesel engine option would be at the top of my list, built in 110 volt power would be nice. Stout bumpers and maybe a sort of "safari top platform" for gear or camping.
MrWonderful73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Really?
I believe Your Jeep was built by AMC, a car company. Does that put it in the same category as Chrysler? A little tact here....
No not at all. AMC and chrysler are company names not specific vehicle names. In fact AMC didn't even exist when the Jeep (notice I didn't say wrangler, cherokee, or liberty) was created. Nor did a company named after the Jeep.

Jeep is a specific vehicle name just as is wrangler, bronco, liberty, durango, etc. People don't normally refer to, for example, their expedition, escape or ranger as their "Ford". The term "Jeep" when speaking of one particular vehicle is synonymous with the CJ/MB. The man specifically referred to a "wrangler". That's my point.

edit: Not trying to start a debate, just clarifying my comment.
Unread 07-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahnDesign1812 View Post
That's it...hope this post doesn't create a flame war on me and I do look forward to engaging with you all over time.
I guess you were overly optimistic. Sorry.
Unread 07-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
No not at all. AMC and chrysler are company names not specific vehicle names. In fact AMC didn't even exist when the Jeep (notice I didn't say wrangler, cherokee, or liberty) was created. Nor did a company named after the Jeep.

Jeep is a specific vehicle name just as is wrangler, bronco, liberty, durango, etc. People don't normally refer to, for example, their expedition, escape or ranger as their "Ford". The term "Jeep" when speaking of one particular vehicle is synonymous with the CJ/MB. The man specifically referred to a "wrangler". That's my point.

edit: Not trying to start a debate, just clarifying my comment.
Really?
Jeep is a company name. I have owned a JEEP Wagoneer, JEEP grand Cherokee, JEEP J10 pickup, as well as numerous CJ versions of JEEPS (let's not forget all other models, such as the Commando, FC series, Willey's wagon, etc...). All of these variants were manufactured under the Jeep name.
Jeeps have been manufactured by Kaiser, Ford, Willy's, AMC (which BTW, was founded in the mid 50's, and was building such great cars as the javelin, Rebel, and AMX under the AMC logo long before it acquired Jeep in 1970), Renault, as well as Chrysler. this situation is much akin to Buick and Pontiac being taken over by GM.
Strange the header on this very forum, JEEPFORUM.COM covers every variant including those pesky Chrysler products.
I'm sidetracking here...
My point is this: When a new member erroneously posts in the wrong forum (especially someone from overseas, who simply may not know the nuances of the Jeep line) we should try to show some tact and respect. Jeepforum.com has a wide reputation for having a soft hand. Let them know they may garner more information in the proper forum, and feel free to give relative input if you have it. No need to be rude.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thanks for making an effort to seek help in your designs. You have a very nice product and one you have obviously invested much research. As mentioned, there is a Wrangler section on this website where you will most likely receive more specific answers to questions, although there are plenty of CJ owners whom also own Wranglers! Go to the "Forum" tab and then search for the Wrangler forum.

We will also be glad to provide any ideas or information here on the CJ forum. Personally, I feel privileged to have input in your business. After viewing your website, I see (I think I see) where high-performance and handling might be an area to investigate??

Your company has some nice stuff!

http://www.kahndesign.co.uk/automoti...jeep&make=jeep

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

jeepdaddy - I wasn't being rude. That was merely your reading perception adding emotion to my typed words. However, derailing this thread into a debate (which I clearly said I wasn't doing) would define "rude".
BTW, thanks for making my point about the difference between Jeep the company vs. a Jeep. If you want to discuss this further, pm me.
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
cincyjeeprs

Well, since the CJ is the only "real" Jeep, it only makes sense that he posted here for suggestions first before settling for suggestions from those other illegitimate poor redheaded step child forums.

Cool site. Lots of eye candy there for those who dare stray from the "Jeep" page.
cincyjeeprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
CSP

Quote:
jeepdaddy - I wasn't being rude.
I believe that jeepdaddy was referrring to your first post in this thread as being rude, not your rebuttal to him.

I would agree that it was a bit much and highly opinionated.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.