Justa 68 CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Justa 68 CJ5

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Justa 68 CJ5

Figured I would say hello here Long story short, this was a craigslist find! The guy I purchased this from was having a tough battle with cancer God Bless him and his family! I must say that I am proud to own this, and look forward to many trips! Best part is that it fit in the garage and the wife did not get mad!

The good stuff!

1968 CJ5
283 V8 with TBI
SM 420 tranny
DANA 300 Twin Stick with 4:1
Wheelbase stretched 4"
Dana 44s from a SCOUT with 4.88s and Detroits, chromolly
Final Crawl ration 128:1
35x12.50r15 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs "old style"
mounted on Bart Racing Bead Locks
Custom "classic" Bumpers with a warn m8000
Crossover steering linkage with heim joints.
Custom Roll Cage, best top seats, tilt steering etc.

Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Cool looking rig. Can we get some better pics so we can get a good look at it. ...

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2014, 04:37 AM   #3
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

289 Ford or 283 Chevy???? I'm diggin' the small block whether Ford or Chevy.
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The PO said 289, however it takes a PH8 fram filter, which is a ford filter if I am not mistaken. The tranny is a SM420 is that a Chevy or Ford? Sorry for my ignorance, the CJ and chevy/ford motors are a new concept for me! I will get more pictures and everything tonight when I get off work. I was quite surprised that it fired right up this morning, had to make sure before I went to work. Luckily this will be a weekend/fishing/hunting/crawler toy!

The Jeep is covered in a layer of dust, cant wait to pretty er up!
Unread 02-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If the distributor is located at the front of the motor, it's a Ford. If it's near the firewall, Chevy. Also, the exhaust ports will be evenly spaced on the Ford small block, whereas the Chevy will have the two center ports on each side close to one another.

Cool rig!
Unread 02-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
If the distributor is located at the front of the motor, it's a Ford. If it's near the firewall, Chevy. Also, the exhaust ports will be evenly spaced on the Ford small block, whereas the Chevy will have the two center ports on each side close to one another.

Cool rig!
Thanks for the info buddy, I will take a look and get a few pictures when I get home. I wanna say the distributor is near the firewall.
Unread 02-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

If that's the case you can find the engine I.d. # on the front of the passenger side head,just below the valve cover. This will tell you size,year and what vehicle it came from. At least up to the mid nineties anyway. Not sure how the newer ones are identified.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsun View Post
Thanks for the info buddy, I will take a look and get a few pictures when I get home. I wanna say the distributor is near the firewall.
If so, it's definitely not a Ford. And for it to be a Chevy 283 would be a bit of a rarity, although cool.

Like Dave said, I was able to use casting numbers on my block and heads to determine the approximate age and model my engine parts came from. In my case, the heads and block came from very different vehicles so keep that possibility in mind.
Unread 02-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Great info guys, I will deffinently get an answer this evening! I will even get a quick video for everyone, its nice and cammed out the EFI will be awesome crawling!

I have some tube laying around, might make up a quick stinger tonight or this weekend!
Unread 02-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

I would wager it's a 283 Chevy. Common swap into the early CJ's and a bolt up to the SM465 trans.
Unread 02-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
I would wager it's a 283 Chevy. Common swap into the early CJ's and a bolt up to the SM465 trans.

Right on, I will get everyone an exact answer once I get home. The tranny is the SM420 not sure how different htat is to the SM465. From my quick research, it seems like the SM420 has a lower 1st gear?
Unread 02-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

More pictures and videos to follow, maybe yall can help me identify the exact motor?

Unread 02-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #13
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Did some cleaning on the motor some, seeing how it sat up for awhile it was covered in dust! Went out and tested the 4x4 and the twin sticks. Everything works flawlessly, I have a small oil leak coming from the filter. I loosened it up some and re tightened it down, it seems to have stopped. Went up to Dollar General to grab some all purpose cleaner.

Before

After

Also added a few of my little touches "stickers and DoD Decals"

Unread 02-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #14
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The fact that the distributor is in the rear tells me it's more than likely a Chevy. It's definitely not a Ford. So it's not likely a 289. A Chevy 283 is certainly a possibility....especially if the motor swap was done a long time ago.
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #15
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Walked out to the jeep a few minutes ago, and noticed a small pool of oil... Looks like the oil filters as leaking, I was able to twist it by hand so I tightened it up, hopefully that was the only issue!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.