Just replaced gas tank and now no start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Just replaced gas tank and now no start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-08-2002, 06:31 PM   #1
NMullens

Just replaced gas tank and now no start

I was thinking I mixed some of the lines up off the tank but according to the Hayes manual, it's right. There is no gas getting to the carb. I was looking at the gas lines and one runs from the sending unit to the filter up front where Im assuming it is being sucked by the pump but on the same side of the filter where the sending unit line runs in is a port that runs to the carb. I guess I dont understand how a fuel pump works, how can it suck gas from the tank through the filter then push gas through the same filter to the carb? This is how it was setup when it was running. Im confused. Please help.

Unread 06-08-2002, 07:33 PM   #2
buddhasbomb

couple of thing pop into my bald head.one you may have switched lines anyway(at tank)if you didnt mess with fuel filter you should be okay there.next and I did this ,is there gas in the tank?did you undo the coil wire(or something else)before you started?when you put the sending unit into tank did you kink or knock off the pickup tube?try these(and any other ideas anyone else may have)see what happens.BUDDHA
buddhasbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2002, 07:40 PM   #3
cj7traildriver

You have me confused in what yah wrote, Anyway if is set up the same as when you took it apart you should be ok. Carbs with mechanical pumps take awhile to bleed thru so you can crank and crank and crank or better yet get a small thing of gas have a buddy turn it over and pour a bit of gas down the carb this will start the motor and get things pumpen. If that doesn't work then somethen is wrong, either pump isn't pumping, filter plugged, could be a few different things.
Unread 06-08-2002, 07:40 PM   #4
NMullens

I really hope I didnt mess up the pick up tube. The tank didnt rattle so I guess its not broken off. I was thinking that I only put about a gallon and a half of gas in the tank and maybe the tube isnt picking up anything that low in the tank. Hopefully thats it. Thanks for your help buddha.
Unread 06-11-2002, 12:45 PM   #5
4wheeler4CJ

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by NMullens:
<strong>I really hope I didnt mess up the pick up tube. The tank didnt rattle so I guess its not broken off. I was thinking that I only put about a gallon and a half of gas in the tank and maybe the tube isnt picking up anything that low in the tank. Hopefully thats it. Thanks for your help buddha.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That is most likely the problem. Put a decent amount in, every tank has it's unusable quantity at the bottom, and 1 1/2 is probably even less than the amount of unusable in a CJ tank, especially if it is oversized.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2002, 10:25 AM   #6
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

When you replaced the tank, did you also replace the sending unit? The sending unit for the small tank has a shorter pickup than the SU for the larger 20-22 gal tanks.
Unread 06-14-2002, 09:10 AM   #7
dixiediesel

Maybe you swapped the pickup line with the return line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.