Just picked up an air bottle-need advise on a regulator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Just picked up an air bottle-need advise on a regulator

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

Just picked up an air bottle-need advise on a regulator

I just acquired a recently retired SCBA air bottle from the volunteer fire department that I am in and I am looking for suggestions on how to regulate the pressure down to a usable level for airing up tires after trail riding and any other uses. Any suggestions?

jeepaddict1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

You can get an adjustable regulator like you would use on an air compressor. Napa has them.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

I am not sure that Napa will have a regulator that will handle that kind of pressure. Those bottles are rated up to around 2600 psi.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepaddict1 View Post
I am not sure that Napa will have a regulator that will handle that kind of pressure. Those bottles are rated up to around 2600 psi.
The bottles might be rated to 2600 psi., but how much air will you be able to put in them ?
Guy Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

Do you plan on putting that kind of air in it? Carrying 200 psi would be plenty to air up.
60 CJ5 tore down
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

They are typically filled to that. I will refill it at the firehouse.
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

Holliewood, I am not sure if it will always be filled to capacity, but I want a regulator that won't explode if I do fill it up toward the high end. It would be nice to be able to run an air impact or use an airbag to help lift or upright a jeep in case of a roll over.
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepaddict1
Holliewood, I am not sure if it will always be filled to capacity, but I want a regulator that won't explode if I do fill it up toward the high end. It would be nice to be able to run an air impact or use an airbag to help lift or upright a jeep in case of a roll over.
I don't think that tank will be capable of what you think it is. It may be pressurized to 2600 psi but it only holds a small volume. Air tools are rated by flow rate at a given psi. So although it can hold high pressure it won't have the volume to maintain the flow required to operate such things.......at least that's my understanding.......for what that's worth, lol
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

Jeepwhore, you are probably right about that, so running air tools may not be in the cards, but the volume will run an airbag if needed, as that is what we use on our rescue in the department.
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

If you're wanting to run air tools and such an oba system would be a better option I believe. as stated above I also don't believe you will have the volume to use it the way you would like
60 CJ5 tore down
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

Oh well, I guess that I will just have to be careful not to overfill, so I can use a compressor regulator, unless I can find something at a welding supply that will run higher pressures. Not really planning on running air tools, but thought it might be an interesting option.
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

You will also need a drain, and for safety and a 'pop-off' valve at about 150psi.
You will also need an electric pressure switch.
LG
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
CSP

An electric pressure switch on an air tank? This is essentially like a CO2 tank, but with atmospheric air instead (assuming that's what the firehouse uses) compressed by a specialty tank pump that fire departments use to refill their breathing tanks.

Unless you have it filled to the pressures it's capable of the volume will be so slight that it will be pretty useless.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

Yeah, I am going to need a regulator that can handle up to 2500 psi.
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
CSP

Those are the pressures that CO2 tanks see, but the CO2 is pressurized into a liquid in the tank and a regulator for that use probably won't work.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.