Just a little flatty build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Just a little flatty build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 08-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #91
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich View Post
I'm really liking your build. I have a '49 and thought I'd be happy with a newer '79 CJ5 running gear in it. Until I saw yours. Now I'm thinking.........................................$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thanks a lot.
Mine has a 71 cj5 rear axle (d44) and a 78 front axle (d30) and the front springs are from a later cj, its just everything else.....

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
98blacksahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #92
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Got the bedliner sprayed today. Sanded everything down with 80 grit, then washed it with soap and water. Looks alot better I think.

Before:

After:

Next is to paint the cage ad put that back in! then on to wiring.

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #93
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Finally stopped working long enough to take a couple pics of the color. For whatever reason it is very hard to photograph and have it look like it does in real life. It tends to be yellower than it does in person. Finished up one rocker guard as well

Anywho, heres the pics.

Unread 09-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #94
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Finally remembered to take some pics. Things seem to be coming along nicely.

Grill on and one fender mocked up and painted.

Drivers side rocker guard. Its sandwiched between the frame tie in plates for the a pillar

Passenger side rocker guard

Dash coming along nicely. Got most of the gauges in and wired. Also filled the butchered radio hole compliments oof the previous owner. I think it adds a nice touch.

Center trans hump almost finished

Rear flare installed. Just barely fits larger wheel opening

Electric fan and radiator mounted up. Fan is a Jegs unit for a foxbody mustang mounted sideways. Tight, but it all fits

Unread 09-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #95
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Built a hoop to help protect the radiator, but also needed something to hold the upper shock mount. Everything is .120 wall. Plated the frame under the main hoop as well.

Built a "stub" off the main hoop, welded a 1/8 inch thick grade 8 washer to the front of it and drilled all the way through the main hoop for the shock mounts. Pics to better explain.

Ended up using some 14 inch travel rancho's. I know 14 inches of travel is overkill, but I got them for free from a friend of mine, and they were brand new in the box. They just needed bushings as he lost the ones that came with them.

As always open to comments!

Unread 09-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #96
axxxgijoexxxa
Joe

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Nice jeep! I like the 302 in a old jeep.
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #97
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Finished up the passenger side a pillar frame tie in. It sandwiched the rocker guards and the floor between the foot plates.

The frame has a plate welded on for support. its 1/4 inch, and both plug welded (5 1/2 holes) and welded around the perimeter.

Yes, those are hockey pucks. They are cheap, and plentiful.

OK, so I am also having a hard time deciding whether or not to run the rear flares. I am planning on adding 1.5 inch wheel spacers in the rear.

With:

Without:

Opinions on the flare situation? My state is not real bad about tires sticking out, but it does come up from time to time

Unread 10-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #98
TJ-Joe
1984 CJ7 

The flare looks great - I'd go with them.
TJ-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #99
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Nice build, I love how you make all the fab work, and make it all look easy.
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #100
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee View Post
Nice build, I love how you make all the fab work, and make it all look easy.

I like to fab stuff, but it is mostly out of necessity, Almost nothing is made aftermarket for these kind of builds on the early stuff. As for the easy part, I don't post pics of the mistakes.....

Thanks for the compliments too!

Unread 12-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #101
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

more progress, swapped in a scout D44 front, rear to follow

You can kinda see the track width difference between the front and rear in one of the pics. About 7-8 inches or so.

Heres the start of the ourboard brackets. I still need to box/gusset them, but ran out of ambition (it was about 10 degrees outside, so it was about 50 or so in the garage)

Heres the "new" scout D44 rear

And the shackle angle I was talking about in the other thread (opinions?) It seems to work great for mostly down travel which is what I need

Unread 01-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #102
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

ok, more progress. ITs been really cold up here, so its been hard to get any ambition to go out and work on this thing.

Got the rear scout D44 all swapped in. I decided to bite the bullet and swap in the link set-up from the other axle.

Also decided that scout backing plates and drums are way to damn expensive, so discs here we come.

Picked up some VW 99 and up beetle/jetta/golf etc rear calipers with e-brake for cheap money.
Started making brackets. Carboard should hold up just fine, they are only rear brakes, right?

Going to use 95 tracker front rotors (solid) for the rears, but I have to wait until 1:30 to pick em up at the parts store...

And here is the new track width.

Unread 01-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #103
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Got one side of the rear disc swap done!

I cut out the brackets, then bolted them up to the caliper. I used a c-clamp to engage the e-brake to center the caliper on the rotor and placed heavy tacks on the bracket. Then removed everything including the axle and burned it in.

The bracket didn't come out as symmetrical as I would have liked, but the holes are evenly spaced and the caliper sits level on the rotor, so I guess thats what matters

The bracket is 3/8 thick. Should I add a gusset or two?

The Volkswagen calipers seem to fit perfectly on the tracker front rotors.

Unread 03-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #104
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Finally got over the flu enough to get something done. Managed to finish up the front spring outboard brackets, get the new extended brake lines installed, and started to set the caster on side.

Not sure why it looks like I painted it blue.... its really black

setting caster.

Any opinions on what to set the caster to? I have read between 6 and 8 degree's, but have also read, the larger the tires, the less caster you want.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.