Just a little flatty build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Just a little flatty build

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 03-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #31
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Got the trans-dapt mounts installed for the 302 today. Test fitted the headers too! Made sure to check clearances around steering shaft and front driveshaft as well.

Here it is going in one of the 20 times it was in or out today...

Still need to swap to a rear sump pan from either an old bronco and f150

Mount welded in. Not bad for splatter core wire

Worked out to have decent clearance for a fan after I cut the old shroud off and made a new radiator mount.

The hood even closes with the 2 barrel installed

Shot from the front. The nose is just lifted right now with a couple hockey pucks. I will be making steel or aluminum spacers for under the grill. This was just for mock up purposes.

The winch will hide the body lift, and a skidplate under the radiator will also follow

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
98blacksahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #32
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Got the transmission/adapter/transfercase assembled and installed. Got the crossmember modified for the np435 and also got the new centered/flanged D44 rear mostly installed. Still need to burn in the spring pads and I am waiting on 2 more u-bolts

Engine/trans and transfercase installed (mostly)

Grinding off spring pads

Preview of finalized ride height

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
Unread 03-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #33
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Got the transmission/adapter/transfercase assembled and installed. Got the crossmember modified for the np435 and also got the new centered/flanged D44 rear mostly installed. Still need to burn in the spring pads and I am waiting on 2 more u-bolts

Engine/trans and transfercase installed (mostly)

Grinding off spring pads

Preview of finalized ride height

Unread 03-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #34
LMontycj2a

1946 CJ2A 

Nice. Keep up the pics.
Thought I had an idea for your tool indents on the passengers side, but just went and measured my short hi-lift and it's too long.
I like the to-do list on the panel.
LMontycj2a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #35
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMontycj2a View Post
Nice. Keep up the pics.
Thought I had an idea for your tool indents on the passengers side, but just went and measured my short hi-lift and it's too long.
I like the to-do list on the panel.
I had the same idea for the hi-lift

The list is there because I kept loosing the paper lists. I figured it would be hard to lose a whole body tub....

Unread 03-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #36
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Keep up the great work! I love the pics in post #14 & 15 of the T-case sitting on the dinning room table, AWESOME! You are either single or have the perfect wife

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

Good Luck.........
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #37
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good. I like how it's all coming together.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #38
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter View Post
Keep up the great work! I love the pics in post #14 & 15 of the T-case sitting on the dinning room table, AWESOME! You are either single or have the perfect wife

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

Good Luck.........
Been married for a few years, she is great. I just have to be quiet enough not to wake up my son. ( I usually putter on stuff after he goes to bed)

Unread 04-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #39
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Got a front cage add on from extremecustomparts.com Built a subframe for the seats off of it. Also added some Summit racing poly high back bucket seats.

Drivers seat, it has 4 sets of mounting hole in 1 inch increments.

I made the passenger seat hinged for access to the storage compartment underneath the passenger seat. I sleeved the seat frame over the subframe, the front flange will be drilled and bolted to the front cross tube. Its hard to explain, but you can check out the pics and probably figure out what I am talking about.....

I made a load bolt on the rear tube to suck out any slack/rattles. I hate anything that rattles...

Here is the clutch master and brake booster installed. There is a set of cherokee pedals under the dash. No pics though..

Unread 04-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #40
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Got the rear U-bolt plates made up today. Used 3/8 plate. I cut 3/4 of the way through them on the ends and rolled them up and welded them to make the plates resistant to bending. I then welded a bolt across one end to serve as a lower shock mount.

I also got the cherokee brake and clutch pedals shortened up a bit to work in my flatty!

My dad got his 52 M38 out of storage to start stripping it down for restoration. His is on the left, my 51 on the right

Unread 04-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #41
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Started putting the front axle together today. Got the ball joints, knuckles, and spindle studs installed. Couldn't get any further until I get the carrier installed after some fresh bearings.

Got a tube notcher. I can't believe I ever did without one. Makes the joints cleaner, tighter, and a heck of alot easier and faster. I clamped it to my welding table.

My dad installed a vise on the welding table before I got to the shop this morning. pretty handy.

A bit more tube work got done today as well. Added a dash bar, and some overhead tube work and gussets.
Dash bar:

Overhead bars:

Got the fuel cell sort of mounted.

Unread 05-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #42
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Installed the flywheel, clutch (11 inch with supposedly 25% more clamping power than stock).

Got the Bellhousing/tranny (np435) and Dana 20 all installed for hopefully the last time. What a pain in the butt to get the tranny installed onto the motor. Normally its pretty easy, but that thing is so heavy, it makes it very difficult.

Spent the rest of the afternoon fabing up a bracket for the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. Its made with 3/8 and 1/4 flat stock and 1/4 inch angle iron. Should be stout enough. I can add another brace later if need be. I don't think it will be necessary though.

Comments welcome!

Unread 05-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #43
Kman1983
1983 CJ5 

Looking Good!!
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #258
'83 CJ5, 4.0 MPFI swap, T18/D20, CenterForce II clutch, Dana44/30(73 CJ5) with 3.73's,'79 knuckles and 11" discs, sagged 4" lift, 2" BL, 34x9.50x15 Super Swamper Pizza Cutters

My wifes website The Vermont JeepGirl http://www.vermontjeepgirl.com/

"Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://youtu.be/9xRtRE45OVQ
Kman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #44
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Built a transfercase shifter. Couldn't find a twin stick set-up for the np435/d20 combo, and any that would fit the D20 tube rail thing, would hit the side of the trans. So I built one.

From underneath...

Since I seem to have an M38 tub, I pulled the center trans cover hump section, and put the body back on to make shift levers and check fitment of the shift cover of the np435.

Just a little more sheetmetal work on the firewall, and the body should be back on for good! Finally getting somewhere.

Unread 05-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #45
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

That's a solid looking twin stick, very nice fab work!

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.