Just a little flatty build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Just a little flatty build

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Got some work done on redoing the steering box mount and front section of the fame and the cj5 crossmember I decided to use. I think it will make for a clean install and look factory. I hate when things look cobbled together.

Here is the cj5 (1973 I think) crossmember I am going to graft in as well as the heavy cast steering box bracket.

The new drivers side frame horn with the box bracket sitting in a relief cut in the frame.

Passenger side frame horn cut off

Passenger side fish plate (done both sides of the frame)

How it will look with crossmember when completed.

Still need to fish plate the drivers side, weld in the crossmember and build a front bumper and winch plate.

Disclaimer: the cj5 the parts came from was a rotted out frame that was hit in the rear, thus not worth saving....

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
98blacksahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #17
stewknob
1999 TJ Wrangler 

that is looking really good, i will definitely be watching
stewknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Your build looks great! I can't wait to see it finished. My first jeep was a 1942 Willy's and I took it in the field a lot. It was fantastic! I still can't get over how quiet they were, when tuned right and the exhaust was functioning like it should. You could barely hear them from 20 feet away. They purred like a kitten. I don't have much experience with the F134 engine... all my experience is with the earlier L134 engine.

You know, it's funny. All the jeepers that go off road and yet, the jeeps that turn the heads the most are the old original ones going through all of the hurdles... or most of them. My jeep went everywhere WITH CLASS, STYLE AND GRACE!! I kept it stock and it was great. Of course, modified jeeps are awesome but they lose something compared to the old flatties. I know it is sentimental but I understand personally what you were talking about in keeping your old engine.

Good luck with your build. I can't wait to see it finished.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #19
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Got a bit more done today. Cross member is all welded in and rattle canned to keep it from rusting.

Then I moved on to the steering shaft. I ended up using 3 ujoints from a cj5. I was unable to make a straight shot due to the motor mount. I still ended up trimming the mount to clear. I mounted the middle shaft in a heim joint. I may add another to the other end of the same shaft to hold it if it moves at all, but it seems very secure so far.

Here is the final product all mocked up with grill in place. I like how clean it looks, that is most of the reason I did this the way I did. Now I just need to build a bumper!

Feel free to comment!

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
Unread 02-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #20
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Here is the aftermath of grinding the "fixed bodywork" out of the drivers side. I ground all the body filler out and welded in good metal. I also decided to add the MB indents for the shovel and ax. They are not to exact dimensions, but look pretty close for what materials I had to work with. I also had to fix the fuel filler. It had an M38 surround with a 3a filler hole in it all booger welded together (more info on that to come).
Pics are just showing with a primer sealer I quickly sprayed on to keep it from rusting until I get to finish it.

After that mess, I decided I might as well fix the passenger side too. I wasn't sure what I would find, but I was sure it needed to be fixed correctly after witnessing the caliber of work from the drivers side.

As I ground out all the filler, I found out why the tub had the M38 fuel hole and no seat indents in the rear floor. It was an M38 tub (at some point in its life). Oddly enough, the dash it not correct to an M38. I guess if I had started with the passenger side first, I wouldn't have needed to spend a whole day making tool indents on the drivers side from scratch....

The axe indent was badly rusted, and it seemed redundant to carry 2 axes, but 2 shovels would still be handy, so I decided to ditch the axe indent and keep the shovel one. I am not entirely ruling out carrying another axe though. Opinions?

Here is where I left off tonight:

I will be pulling the tub at some point, the floors under the tool box are hosed. I think it'd be easier than trying to repair them from inside the toolbox.

Unread 02-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Is having your ax and shovel on the driver's side (like an MB) going to interfere with the gas cap? Both tools are held on by web straps. I was just wondering. As far as your jeep rebuild goes... it looks great! I think you are doing it right by stripping down everything to the bare metal. It sure takes longer, but you then know what you have. I can't wait to this is finished.

I have enclosed some recent photos of a WWII MB so you can see how the tools are attached.

Take care,
angelina-07-043.jpg   p1060324.jpg  

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #22
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

If I have measured correctly, it should only be a minor interference. There still should be enough room to fill the tank with the shovel attached. If it does interefere, I will remove it and only carry the extra shovel for wheelin trips.

Unread 02-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #23
mjfitz99
1986 CJ7 

Looks nice!
mjfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #24
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Any opinions on the idea of carrying 2 shovels and 1 or 2 axes?

If there is an interference with getting gas, I may use the fuel cell I have from another project... Maybe I'll just remove the indents from the drivers side. It seems a little redundant to me to have them on both sides, but at the same time I like the idea....

Just thinking out loud here!

Unread 02-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #25
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

I'd make sure to have an extra of each incase you get stuck, are in a hurry, and the wife can't dig you out fast enough on her own. Just be careful. You don't want to spoil her.
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #26
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

I really like your project, cool flatfender for sure.

Nothing wrong with a shovel on each side IMO, and nobody other than a purist would ever know. It's not like you're doing a chalkmark restoration.

Good luck with it!
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #27
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
I really like your project, cool flatfender for sure.

Nothing wrong with a shovel on each side IMO, and nobody other than a purist would ever know. It's not like you're doing a chalkmark restoration.

Good luck with it!
Right! My 47 2a is the one getting restored...

Unread 02-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #28
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Made a mess err..... some progress today. Got the tub pulled and got most of the floors fixed.

Here is the tub coming off

Tipped 'er up and fixed the floors under the tool box. I cut out the really rusty stuff and put new thicker sheetmetal over existing good metal. Did a bit of spot welding it together, then stitched most of the edges. I know its not exactly the most perfect way to fix it, But it will work. (besides, I did it the right way on my other one...)

No pics of the patches yet (I forgot)

Here is how I left it till next week.

Unread 02-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #29
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Its looking like a motor swap may happen..... I am determined to have a granny gear tranny. It looks like the only way this is gonna happen is with a different engine.

I have a free T18 coming tomorrow from a ford. I just so happen to have a rebuilt 302 and a bellhousing already in my possesion from another project. So.... I just need the adapter to bolt it up to my dana 20.

I think it will be alot more enjoyable on long rides to and from the trails if I can keep 50 mph easily.

The good news is the running l-head can go in my 47 resto project

Unread 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #30
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

So it turns out the free t18 is actually an NP435. No it worked out a little better (lower first gear). here is a couple pics of getting the tranny.

The truck has been sitting since the early 80's

The floorpans were rusted so we just pulled on them and tore em out

Here it is upside down and cleaned up and primed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.