Just get a click noise when i turn the key to the start position - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Just get a click noise when i turn the key to the start position

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-21-2014, 06:10 AM   #1
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

Just get a click noise when i turn the key to the start position

about 2 weeks ago I took my 1984 CJ-7, with 150 ci engine for a test run around the community, it started and ran fine. But I have not driven it since as the weather has been very cold here in west KY.

yesterday it was nice, so I thought I would start up the jeep, let it run awhile. All I got out of it was a click when I turned the key to the start position.

I charged the battery 4 hrs on my small low current charger, but still the gauge showed only a 1/2 charge, I took the battery to the shop, they charged it up and said it test fine,

I install the battery, but still all I get is a click.

where do I start looking??????
bad solenoid, etc: I did notice my ground wire clamp on the negative battery post is cracked, so I cannot tighten up the clamp as tight as it should be,

could that cracked clamp make enough of a loose, bad connection that the system is not getting enough power to activate the solenoid.

I plan to get a new ground wire cable and correct that broken clamp problem, before I start pulling parts off and replacing them.

However, I am just concerned that is not the main starter circuit problem as that ground clamp may have been broken for a while.

any other suggestions: what items to check, assuming I replace the ground clamp cable and it still does nothing but click?

Thanks for any input.

wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Clean all connections, replace both battery cables (often times they will corrode and break down inside the insulation where you cannot see it.) Clean the ground on the engine block (I use a starter bolt as my ground.. direct path to the highest amp draw.) That would be my first step. I'd say about 90% of electrical problems are caused by a bad ground, if not more.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
Grandmastersexy
2002 YJ Wrangler 

My jeep was doing the same thing a few weeks ago and i replaced the ignition coil as well as the spark plugs, now it starts up fine.
Grandmastersexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 06:19 AM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Wellmax, at least you didn't immediately start throwing parts at it, like the other "No Start" threads we've had this week.

If fixing the bad battery cable doesn't solve the problem, I suggest you follow the ignition testing procedure outlined by JeepHammer on this thread (post #4).

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask questions, if you get stuck.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
mb_24
1985 CJ7 

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Bad neg cable to the battery/engine block. That...and a bad solenoid.

Good luck.
mb_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

I loosened the battery cable wires a the solenoid, worked then back and forth retighten.
cleaned the battery post and inside cable battery clamps: put a pair of visegrip pliers on my broken negative battery connector to hold it tight (remember I am a redneck from KY)

turned the key to start and the old jeep started right up and ran great, so I must have corrosion on some of the starter circuit connectors or battery cables.

today I bought new cables, will install them tomorrow: will clean & coat all cable and wire connections to solenoid, hopefully that should take care of my non starting issues.

Thanks for the tips,
Unread 02-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
TRUVOL
1985 CJ7 

Mine was the ignition switch. It did the same thing. It was corroded badly.
TRUVOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Definitely replace the faulty battery cable. Since it does "click" when you turn the key, that indicates the ignition switch is at least trying to work. My prime suspect would be the starter relay. While you know you have a charged battery, you could connect a jumper cable from the positive post of the battery directly to the terminal on the starter (make sure you are in park or neutral so the Jeep doesn't try to run away on you). If it cranks, then you know the problem is either the ignition switch, wiring, or the starter relay. If it doesn't crank, then the problem is the starter or the motor is not grounded.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #9
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

got the + and - battery cables replaced and all other starter related connections cleaned.

old jeep fires right up, no problem

both + and - battery cable ends were broken, so with new cables it works much better.
my mech (me) must have tighten them too much some time in the past.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.