Just finished Team Rush and Nutter,, still have studdering problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Just finished Team Rush and Nutter,, still have studdering problems

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
jeepin cj-5

Just finished Team Rush and Nutter,, still have studdering problems

After putting up with my engine running like hell forever I finally took the time to do the team rush and nutter bypass.

The two fixed pretty much everything, it idles great and runs alot more smooth. ( New cap, wires, coil, nutter, carb cleaned, timing set (8 btdc)

The problem i am having is that during acceleration, especially when i hit the gas at lower rpms i still get occasional studdering and bucking.

I just drove it for the first time tonight and realized that if i cut the lights when i accelerate it does not studder at all so it leads me to believe it could be an electrical problem.

The coil, cap, and wires are all new so I am having trouble thinking of where this problem could be coming from.

Are there any places i should check for bad grounds ect? ( grounded the distributer)

Any ideas of what it could be if its not electrical?

Any suggestions would be great..... Thanks

1985 cj7- SOA w/ Re 1.5" springs, Scout dana 44's, 4.56 gears f/r with full detroit f/r. Flattop knuckles and highsteer. Custom steering with 1 ton TRE's. Procomp es 3000 shocks w/ f250 shock towers. Tom Woods rear d shaft, 37" MTR's... with more and more sh*t piling up
jeepin cj-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well if you turn the lights on and you get a problem then I would have to say it's electrical.
Check the voltage on the (+) wire on the coil with a voltmeter and see if the voltae drops when you turn the lights on. This is a good indication that your not getting enough power to the ignition system.

Voltage is just "Potential" it doesn't mean your getting full power when you need it.

I suspect that you should add a few grounds to the alternator and other places and check your connection on the positive side as well. Coroded power connections can lead to many problems. Grounds are usually overlooked so we harp on that quite a lot but poor connections on the positive side of the circuit can also lead to many electrical problems. MEasuring the voltage acroos the battery may not describe how the voltage is down the road. There are numerous terminal connections, crimps and switch contacts that can lead to poor performance.

You should check voltages while the engine is running also. THis prevents you from seeing faulse readings and prevents you from burning up your ICM and/or Coil.

Be super carefull with that fan when you start to run your test leads around the engine compartment. It takes a second to wrap your test leads around a fan hub. Don't ask...
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Add a new ground wire from the battery to the body and clean the ground wire at the motor too. If you have an ammeter in the dash, VERY carefully check to see if it is getting hot after running with your lights on for a few minutes (the anode side corrodes and is the cause of MANY Car-b-ques)
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.