Just finished disc brake conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Just finished disc brake conversion

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Just finished disc brake conversion

JUST COMPLETED AMC 20 BRAKE CONVERSION. (PARTS LIST) 1 PAIR 1996 NISSAN MAXIMA CALIPERS.
(2) 1998 GEO TRACKER 2 DOOR SOLID ROTORS. 1 SET NAPA TS7421 BRAKE PADS. (2) NAPA 380469 BRAKE HOSES. (1) NAPA 95004 E-BRAKE CABLE. (1) NAPA BK95003 E-BRAKE CABLE. (4) CALIPER MOUNTING BOLTS 10MM BY 1.25 PITCH. THE CALIPER MOUNTING BRACKETS CAME FROM BESRK (EDDIE) GROUND POUNDER FAB. THEY ARE GREAT AND WELL WORTH THE MODEST PRICE. THANKS EDDIE. I HAVE SEEN POST OF PADS KICKING OUT AFTER SOME AMOUNT OF WEAR. WHAT I FOUND IS THE CALIPER MOUNTING HOLES NEED TO BE REDRILLED LOWER ABOUT 7/16" TO CENTER THE PAD TO THE ROTOR. IF NOT YOU WILL NOT HAVE FULL STOPPING FORCE OF BRAKES. ALSO THE UNEVEN WEAR COULD CAUSE THE PADS TO TILT AND KICK THEMSELVES OUT WITH TIME. I MADE SEVERAL BRACKETS TO ATTACH E-BRAKE CABLES TO. I INSTALLED A DISC-DISC PROP VALVE AS WELL. MADE MY OWN TOOL TO HOLD THE METER VALVE CENTERED WHILE BLEEDING. HERE ARE SEVERAL PICTURES. THEY WILL BE LARGE. PICTURE QUALITY IN MANY POST ARE NOT THAT GOOD. HOPE THIS HELPS OTHERS WHO WANT TO DO THE SAME UPDATE.

img_3897.jpg   img_3898.jpg   img_3900.jpg   img_3911.jpg  

Last edited by hmantractors; 03-17-2013 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: POST PICTURES
hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
jeep1000
1985 CJ7 

Yes! Finally a list of. Everything used to do it! How much did it cost?
Unread 03-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

More pictures of disc conversion

HERE ARE SOME MORE PICTURES. AM RATHER NEW AT THIS. ALL MY PARTS ARE NEW. THIS IS A DAILY DRIVER, NOT AN OFF ROADER. SO AM NOT CONCERNED ABOUT E-BRAKE CABLES UNDER AXLE. HAVE AROUND $450.00 INVESTED. I DO HAVE A BRAND NEW SET OF BENDIX 4 DOOR GEO TRACKER VENTED ROTORS FOR SALE FOR $50.00 PLUS SHIPPING (UPS) IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED. JUST PM ME.
img_3910.jpg   img_3909.jpg   img_3907.jpg   img_3905.jpg  
Unread 03-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
kappa505
1980 CJ5 

Is your caps lock broken?
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." Supposedly President Coolidge
kappa505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Caps lock

NO, I AM LAZY WHEN IT COMES TO CAPS. BESIDES ITS EASIER FOR US OLD GUYS TO READ. (LOL)
Unread 03-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Well thats a real clean install very nice this one is on my list for sure.
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Nice I'd love to do that on my Dana 44 rear.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

I am stuck in California with all my parts eagerly awaiting my return to finish my upgrade. Can you post a measurement where the new holes need to go in the brackets?

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Thank you for sharing the pictures. The installation is nice and clean and you have given me some good ideas about how to run the driver's side line on mine.

I have read that there are differences between the Maxima and 300ZX brackets. Is that the reason you had to re-drill the mounting holes?

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Brackets

TITANJEEP, MY UNDERSTANDING EITHER CALIPER CAN BE USED. IT WAS SUGGESTED BY OTHERS TO MOCK UP THEN DRILL. SO TO GIVE A PRECISE MEASUREMENT I WOULD NOT DO. EVERYONES SET UP COULD BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT. I WOULD TRY TO GET AS MUCH PAD AS POSSIBLE CENTERED ON THE DISC HOWEVER. SHIMMING THE BRACKETS AND ROTORS WILL BE DIFFERENT ON EVERYONES AXLE AS NO TWO ARE EXACTLY THE SAME DEPENDING ON HOW MANY FACTORY SHIMS WERE USED TO SHIM AXLES IN AXLE HOUSING.
Unread 03-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
bakershop
1986 CJ7 

Nice work. I've been wondering what to do on mine. Could those calipers have been mounted at the 10 o'clock position rather than the 2 o'clock position to maybe re-route the emergency brake cable above the axle?
bakershop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakershop View Post
Nice work. I've been wondering what to do on mine. Could those calipers have been mounted at the 10 o'clock position rather than the 2 o'clock position to maybe re-route the emergency brake cable above the axle?
Yes, at least that is the way I did mine. I don't think it really matters though.

Driver side:

Pass side:

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
bakershop
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the extra pics, looks sharp. I see what you're saying about it being a flip of a coin as far as cable routing.
bakershop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

E-brake cables

BAKERSHOP, YES YOU COULD MOUNT CALIPERS AT THE 10 O'CLOCK POSITION. I HONESTLY DO NOT SEE AN EASY WAY TO RUN CABLES WITH THE MAXIMA CALIPERS. ALSO, I WANTED TO MOUNT SO BLEEDING WOULD BE AS PAINLESS AS POSSIBLE. GOOD LUCK.
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Interesting on the bolt holes..

Maybe I should just predrill all the brackets with both sets of holes? One set in the current location and another set 7/16" farther inward?

The thing with this whole AMC/Nissan Disk conversion, is that I've never done it. I simply cut the brackets based off the CAD File that's been floating around for a few years. I did initially double check the axle flange bolt holes on an old AMC20 axle housing I have at the shop... but after that, I have nothing to compare bolt holes, distances, dimensions..etc. Only that original CAD Drawing.

BlueRubiconrich, which D44 do you have? I did a disk conversion for a Scout D44 rear axle. It adapts the smaller Caddy Calipers to the later (thinner) CJ D30 rotors. I've got the system bolted under my own CJ but I've been too busy to get it all bled out and finished up. Maybe soon..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.