Just drove her home: 1985 CJ-7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Just drove her home: 1985 CJ-7

Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Just drove her home: 1985 CJ-7

After a long search I'm now a CJ owner! Here's the post I made after first looking at the CJ:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/yo...j-7-a-1036735/

I'll post 3 new photos plus re-post the images from the above post. After the photos I'll give the whole story below:

That's all!

1985 CJ7, T5 transmission, 258. I don't even know what the axles and transfer case are, but based on my limited knowledge, the rear pumpkin looks like a Dana 30.

33 x 12.5 x 15 tires. The PO claims it has a 4" lift. The rear bumper sticker indicates it could be a Rough Country lift.

This is my first CJ or Jeep of any kind. After wanting one back in the mid 80's, my parents said I needed a 4 door vehicle. So no CJ, but it's been in the back of my mind for 25 years.

I found this CJ on Craigslist after abour 5 years of on and off searching around. This one is appealing because it's got the 258, the T5, and it's white. The frame is in great shape. The PO had the Jeep for about 13 years and drove it little and no wheeling. THe history before that is basically unknown.

There is some body rust.

After some discussion with the PO, we agreed on $5500, down from the original $6200 price. I'm usually a good sleeper but I literally had some sleepless nights thinking about buying this thing and pondering the good and bad. It is, afterall, a CJ.

I live in the west side of Houston, Texas, and the CJ was located in Baytown, TX, about 50 miles on the other side of Houston.

We arrived at the PO's house and did the deal. He handed over the keys and asked me about what I was going to do with it.

While the Jeep test drove OK, my fear was the 50 mile drive back to the other side of Houston. Luckily (I guess), it 95% of it was down Interstate 10.

I test drove the Jeep earlier and briefly had it up to about 55 MPH and it seemed stable. No death wobble. The steering wasn't loose or flakey, but I did have to work a bit harder to keep it on the road than my Jetta, which drives beautifully. The brakes required some pressure to make a hard stop, but they work well enough to have passed the state safety inspection.

So after making the purchase and saying goodbye, I loaded up a toolbox of general tools, strapped on my seatbelt, and headed home.

Within minutes I was on the freeway in light to moderate traffic. I had her up to 50 and then 55 MPH fairly easily, feeling really happy to have the 5th gear to keep the RPMs down. I was moving along with the slower vehicles just fine, but had no acceleration in 5th gear. I figure the 33" tires and 25 year age might factor in there.

About 1/3 of the way home, I started feeling hot air which seemed odd since the heater core is not connected to the engine. Ultimately I figured out that it was hot air (probably from the exhaust system), coming in the shift boot which was torn. I pushed it down and that helped a little.

The ride was, as you can imagine, bouncy. Houston has no shortage of uneven roads and freeways. Eventually I learned not to extend and lock my arms while holding on the wheel; instead, I kept my arms bent to avoid transferring more motion to my body.

Ultimately the drive home was fine. No problems.

When I rolled into the driveway my youngest son wanted to ride around the block. That's when I realized the headlights wouldn't turn back on and rembered the PO saying that the floor headlight switch was flakey. No problem, it's a CJ. I can fix it.

Anyhow, in the past couple of days (in anticipation of purchasing the CJ) I have been lining up parts for various repair projects: Team Rush parts, shift lever boot, clip/shim to properly attach the shift lever, new valve cover gasket and RTV, plugs, oil, clay bar and cutting glaze compound to work over the chalky paint job, rust converter, and friday I'll have smaller wheels and tires installed. (31x10.5's BFG AT on 15x8 wheels, same style as you see in the photos). The owner threw in a tow bar and a good looking Goodyear 235/75R15 on a white wagon wheel for a spare.

(Anyone want to buy a good set of 33's and wheels in Houston? Plenty of tread left)

The Jeep needs more than that. The fuel gauge doesn't work, headlights are flakey, engine compartment needs a lot of cleanup, engine probably needs to be nuttered, radio doesn't work, factory temp gauge doesn't work, heater core is disconnected, turn indicator lever knob is broken, blinkers are too fast, interior floor painted with black paint, fan control knob missing, probably needs new shocks, and I'm sure there will be dozens more. I was pondering dropping in a more interesting muffler but after the drive home I think I will hold off for later. With a metal floor and nothing else, the exhaust is loud enough.

But even with the problems, the thing is solid; great frame, passed safety inspection, minimal body rust, great seats and top, and drives fine enough to far to be a semi-daily driver for my 7 mile trip to work each day.

That's all for now. I will be sure to document all my work with plenty of photos.

Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
pspradlin2
1983 CJ7 

nice jeep. looks pretty free of rust. i wish mine was the clean when i got it home.
pspradlin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
I test drove the Jeep earlier and briefly had it up to about 55 MPH and it seemed stable. No death wobble. The steering wasn't loose or flakey, but I did have to work a bit harder to keep it on the road than my Jetta, which drives beautifully. The brakes required some pressure to make a hard stop, but they work well enough to have passed the state safety inspection.

That is a nice looking Jeep, and I am glad you found it so now you can get out of the "chick car"

Hey, I can say that because I had to drive two myself in the name of marriage.

Have fun and hopefully I will get mine finished soon and head down to Houston to meet up with you, Calvin, TRex and KickinProp.

Last edited by 243; 05-25-2010 at 09:33 PM..
243 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Congratulations! Glad you had a safe drive. Now get to work!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
FOGHORNCJ7
1984 CJ7 

man im glad you pulled the trigger on the jeep ... its a nice one to get ...looks pretty free of rust ... that a plus ... i had like 12 rust holes in mine when i fired brought it home ..... congrats on the new ride!
FOGHORNCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

The front Axle is a dana 30, the rear axle is a AMC 20. You have a T5 Transmission, so therefore you have a Dana 300 Transfercase. It looks more like a 2.5" lift to me. Good looking jeep, the easiest and cheapest upgrade you can do to it right now is take that light bar off of it. It will increase your gas mileage, and cut down on a lot of wind noise. lol

But great buy, looks like a solid CJ, hope you take lots of pics of the things your doing to it, and post them up.
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Ken4444...Congrats on the new CJ!!! That's a nice looking rig. You and your son will have tons of enjoyment building your CJ.
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Congrats man.. Mod time

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter View Post
Ken4444...Congrats on the new CJ!!! That's a nice looking rig. You and your son will have tons of enjoyment building your CJ.
Thanks! It will be interesting to see if my kids can drive the CJ as their first vehicle or not. Still have a decade before we get to that.
Unread 05-26-2010, 01:10 AM   #10
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

Good job Ken.. That drive from Baytown to Houston can be pretty rough, esp. will all of the 18 wheelers!
nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 02:35 AM   #11
MadBull41
1980 CJ7 

Nice looking CJ.

I'm interested in rims and tires. How much?
MadBull41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 04:16 AM   #12
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Ken, where are your located???? I am out here in Katy.... Nice score.... Jeeps are alot of fun and good place to spend your money.....
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:21 AM   #13
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmoore View Post
Good job Ken.. That drive from Baytown to Houston can be pretty rough, esp. will all of the 18 wheelers!
No doubt! I had several pass me and it was extra work to keep the Jeep in my lane.
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:25 AM   #14
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBull41 View Post
Nice looking CJ.

I'm interested in rims and tires. How much?
I sent a private message.
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:27 AM   #15
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Ken, where are your located???? I am out here in Katy.... Nice score.... Jeeps are alot of fun and good place to spend your money.....
Thanks! I'm near Wilcrest and Westheimer.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.