Just bought my first CJ!...and the clutch went out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Just bought my first CJ!...and the clutch went out

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 11-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
donovan53
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just bought my first CJ!...and the clutch went out

Hey guys Ive been a JKU owner for about a year and about 2 hours ago i purchased my first CJ a 1974 CJ5 with a T18 4 speed manual transmission i bought it for $2100 and immediately fell in love after driving it. So i bought it drove it about 12 miles home with no problems, got in it again and drove it 500 feet and the clutch starting feeling weird and then it just went straight to the floor. I seem to have found what the problem is, Im not being smart when i say this because i seriously have no idea what these parts are called but this little tube with a ball on the end of it slipped out of place where it seems to connect to the transmission. There doesnt seem to be anything broken or snapped it just seems out of place and theres a bunch of loose bolts, i know you guys are probably thinking it seems obvious how to fix it i just want a step by step guide so i know im doing it right, do i tighten the bolt connected to the little bent bar in the third picture as well? Thanks in advance, Donovan

LINK TO PICTURES:https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5K4wGY

donovan53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
70worm
1977 CJ5 

This is your clutch linkage. Somebody has fooled with because your missing and the flywheel/ clutch inspection cover. I would buy all new linkage becuase it looks pretty raunchy, but you can replace the missing bolt that holds the bracket on the bellhousing, then the rod with the ball end goes in the indent on the clutch fork. Thr rod is adjustable also which could make thing fit tighter but the missing bolt at the bellhousing probably caused things to come apart.
70worm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

While I am sure many here can guide you thru...a FSM is invaluable to have....best money I spent so far on the jeep.

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unretarded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

First, make sure both brackets that are bolted to the body firewall and transmission bell housing are secure and rigid. I can already see in the 3rd picture you have a link to, that the PO has done some poor mounting and baler wire type fixes. And yes, your inspection plate cover is missing.

I would replace all items with new and do the adjustments required to get the proper clutch "free play".

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

All new parts are available. That said, you need to bolt that bracket back on tight to hold the bell crank solid. Then you look at the second photo of the arm coming out of the transmission and note the little hole in the end of it. There should be a spring there that goes parallel with the adjuster that fell out to stop it from falling out.
Last, the tube that goes from the tub to the edge of the tranny which is called the bell crank, has a grease nipple in the center that needs grease. The ends normally have rubber boots over them to hold the grease in.
Here is a link to what should be there.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-cl...cj8-scrambler/
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
swampbuddy
1983 CJ7 

My old CJ5 had the same issue with the rod assembly popping out of the clutch fork, I adjusted it a few times and the third time I said screw it and bought all new components. What a world of difference that made, nice firm pedal every time and never had an issue again.
I even went ahead and replaced the brackets and pivots on the frame and trans, everything new and didn't have to worry about any thing being worn. Plus I knew how everything went together and how it worked so I had more confidence in the set-up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.