Just bought a '83 CJ 7 and need some help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Just bought a '83 CJ 7 and need some help

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-07-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
sgt jeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just bought a '83 CJ 7 and need some help

Great forum and friendly people. Wish I came across this when I had my other Jeeps, but this 'new' one needs the most work. (Dislcaimer: This Jeep will be my first 'fixer-upper'. My other Jeeps were YJ's and TJ's and I just bought and added parts to them. This is my first CJ and I love it.)

It is a 1983 CJ-7. It has been repainted so I don' know the original color. Missing a dashboard, and the inside of the engine compartment looks like #*it! It is a 4.2L, that was rebuilt and only has 34,000 miles on it. It has a host of newer stuff added by the previous owner: alt, brake booster, brake lines, exhaust, fuel pump, Optima battery, Bestop tops/doors/Bikini, 31" MTs, Rhino Lined tub, lock box and a host of decent chrome to cheap polished metal all over. I put in a rear bench and cleaned it up so far.

I have a leather wrapped grab bar for the pass side as a spare. (Cheap polished metal shiny one in it's place now.) Anyway, this is leading me to believe it may have been a Laredo model???? I don't know, and don't know why I think that.

Anyway, I have a ton of wires disconnected inside the engine bay. It did run before I moved to Ut and ran good. Now, I think I may be having fuel delivery problems: cracked or kinked lines, no choke; manual or auto installed (Florida Jeep), rich fuel smell, and dark smoke upon initial start up. (Going to have my new and awesome neighbor help with that.)

My questions besides what possible model it could be is: can any of you guys with a 4.2L send me some engine compartment pictures? Anything would be appreciated. I am looking at either making it dependable enough for light trails with my family to possibly making it a hard core rig. (I really want a new Rubicon - Don't flame me. They are awesome stock rigs!)

The way I see it, with what I already paid for the CJ, and what it will cost to make it an awesome rig, be it light trails to thick mud-holes, to some slick rock in Moab, I could save a lot of money by fixing this one up vs. buying a new one.

I have some pics if interested.

I am upgrading my acct here so I can support the forum, and post pics.

Send pics to sgtjeep@gmail.com, or here, and thanks for the help.

Last edited by sgt jeep; 04-07-2007 at 10:13 AM..
sgt jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
sgt jeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

This pic was taken in Florida in Dec '06
img_3667-1.jpg  
Unread 04-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

While anything could be ordered, a leather wheel and grab bar, along with a stock chrome front grill, ussually went with the Laredo package. So should a tach and clock, often a 5-speed, and a 20-gal plastic tank. Orginal seats would have had shiney seats with accent stripes.

Anyway, from the pic she looks real nice. Hope you get her runnign again soon. The altitude could be a factor, but start from the beginning and go from there. Check all of the usual stuff. If need be, describe exactly whats going on with it here, and you will get good advice.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
Gemelos
1976 CJ7 

...a tilt-steering column was also in the Laredo..
Gemelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #5
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirttrack
...a tilt-steering column was also in the Laredo..
Nope, not all of them had one. The Laredo packaged varied over the years it was produced.

sgt jeep - PM'd you some info.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
sgt jeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yep, I do have a tach and clock. No tilt wheel. (May have had the steering column replaced. No telling.)

I was reading JayhawkClint's buildup here and that got me in the spirit again. I was seriosuly considering selling the CJ and putting the money towards a new Rubi, but, I remembered what I liked about this CJ the first time I saw it, and am probably going to keep it and fix her up.

And since I moved to Utah (2nd time living here) I know I will wheel the heck out of it.

Thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.