Just bought a '58 Willys CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Just bought a '58 Willys CJ5

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-19-2002, 03:53 PM   #1
ski dude

Just bought a '58 Willys CJ5

Hello All,
I just bought a '58 Willys last night, a young boys dream finally came true! It is totally stock with 17,000 orig. miles. I got it for $2400, which i think is a great deal. I am looking for advice on what i should do to start the restoration of this fine piece of machinery. The body has minimal rust and has been garaged for the last fifteen years with little usage, he said (the seller) that he put MAYBE 500 miles on it in ten years. The gas has been in the tank for roughly 5 years. It has a rebuilt carb, and radiator, however the steering seems to have "dead spots". It starts up and runs but it is a rough sounding engine. I'm new to this so I'm hoping to get some advice.
Thanks All... Ski Dude

Unread 04-19-2002, 10:16 PM   #2
Hippo393

Sounds like a gem! Now how about posting up some pics for us to see? (drool, drool)
You've come to the right fourm; the gurus here are a big help.
Also, in your revamping plans, what do you intend to do with it (off-road, road-worthiness, etc.)?
-alan
Hippo393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2002, 01:13 PM   #3
4wheeler4CJ

Sounds like a real awesome truck! Definitely get us some pics! First step is to sit down with some mags and catalogs, and "dream" a little about your resto project. Don't just jump right in yet. Give yourself some thinking time to mull over exactly what you'd like to do, and what products you'd like to use.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2002, 11:04 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Congrats on your find. I always like to make sure it stops first. Start with the brakes. Check the wheel cyl's, and master cyl(Best to replace with a 72 and later dual master cyl.). Inspect all rubber lines,shoe linings, and drums. Change ALL fluids and lube all zerks. Complete tune up. As to the steering, you can rebuild the stock bellcrank and steering box, or convert to a manual/power steering box. This is a huge inprovement over the stock system. Have fun and enjoy your Jeep
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.