Just bought a 1972 CJ5 w/304 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Just bought a 1972 CJ5 w/304

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-26-2003, 12:57 PM   #1
ejlarson

Just bought a 1972 CJ5 w/304

Hey guys! I am obviously new here. This site is sweet! ļ I have read through a lot of the pages already, and tried the search, but it was a little limiting.

I just bought a 1972 CJ5 in drive-able shape, but it is still rough. It has a 3 speed manual and a 304 V-8. It runs, and drives ok, but is not really a peach! I can already tell I need a few things right off the bat, and thought I would ask a few of you experts where I should look to buy this stuff online.

I need a new soft top and doors. New front seats, (the two in there are different sizes.) New wheels and tires. (I am not looking for monsters, just big enough, and meaty looking! I also need headers and a new exhaust.

I think that is it for now. Yes, I am getting it cheap, so I can afford to put in a little cash. It will be used for light off-road work, just playing around in Illinois, no rock crawling, and just driving around enjoying the rays!

Any and ALL suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Erik

ejlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2003, 02:08 PM   #2
Popol

im sure the guys and gals will give you a list as long as your arm, for me so far I found www.4wd.com to be good, but thats my limited experience, im in europe so i dont do much usa buying..
Popol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2003, 02:10 PM   #3
cjryder

First of all, welcome aboard!
I am building a cj5 and currently have 2 (1 for cannibalizing).
Try 4wd.com and quadratec.com for new parts. 4wd has a 'vintage Jeep catalog" you may wish to order.
I've found quite a few parts on ebay as well as swaps on forums like this. Good luck and happy Jeepin'.
Unread 06-26-2003, 02:41 PM   #4
explortainment

I would buy the top first if you really think you need it...cause never again will you be AS willing to dish out 5-600$ on replacing your soft top. Doesn't mean you can't do it later, but if you need one, you may as well get it and enjoy it for the entire life of the jeep.
explortainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2003, 04:49 PM   #5
wm69

I think I'm gonna try and get a besttop supertop for my '7. I've seen a few on 5's and they are the best looking top and doors around (in my humble opinion). 4wd hardware, quadratec, and JC whitney are all about the same price on tops, but if you get a JC whitney magazine (fast!) I think you can get 15% off of an order of $200 or more (which a soft top will definately cost you!) so you can get it cheaper from them (I think the special ends July 31st, but they run that ad all the time, so if you miss it this time it will be around again one of these days). Whitney has some good stuff, and they have some pretty crappy stuff too, so if you order from them stick with name brands and you should be happy. 4wd and quadratec both have good stuff, but if you're anal like me you'll end up replacing half the jeep so everything matches (like guages, ordered a new oil pressure and it worked great, but looked a little different than my factory voltmeter, so of course had to replace that too...) Prices are about the same from all three, and they all have free catalogs, so get the catalogs and proceed to spend all your money like the rest of us. Good luck!

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2003, 04:52 PM   #6
wm69

Also, for the seats, try and find a set of factory high backs out of a later cj or early wrangler, and then get the Besttop seat covers. When installed, they look like the factory vinyl seats (most people don't realize they are covers) and they are pretty much waterproof so your seat doesn't get soaked/ frame rust out. The covers won't fit aftermarket seats, so if you're in for the long haul, remember new seats will rust out too over time if you don't keep them dry.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 04:47 AM   #7
ejlarson

Thanks guys! I am going to buy a top for sure. The windows are TOTALLY fried from the sun. You can't see through them at all. I picked the beast up last night. Yikes! That small of a wheel base with a V8.. squirrelly does not even begin to describe my first trip behind the wheel. Thanks for the responses guys. I am sure I will have more specific questions later!

Erik
ejlarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.