Just Another PCV system question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Just Another PCV system question...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
sc72cj5
1972 CJ5 

Just Another PCV system question...

Hey guys,
I recently noticed oil on the top of my air cleaner on my 304. It appears to be coming out of the oil fill cap on the stand pipe? I replaced the PCV valve and it didn't change anything. My TSM says the valve should be hooked up to a vacuum source, but everybody tells me that it usually is just ran into the carb for emission reasons. This has me stumped!

Thanks for any help you guys can throw my way!

Unread 10-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc72cj5 View Post
Hey guys,
I recently noticed oil on the top of my air cleaner on my 304. It appears to be coming out of the oil fill cap on the stand pipe? I replaced the PCV valve and it didn't change anything. My TSM says the valve should be hooked up to a vacuum source, but everybody tells me that it usually is just ran into the carb for emission reasons. This has me stumped!

Thanks for any help you guys can throw my way!
If you have a manifold vacuum source like the base of the carb, you can plug it in there. The PCV is like a slow vacuum leak, drawing air and out of the crankcase that has escaped past the rings. To keep the crankcase from developing too much vacuum, the other port on the valve cover is usually ran to a filtered air source, like a breather or the air cleaner.
This is the PCV in it's simplest form, there are usually other hoses and connections figured in.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.