Jurassic Park Tail lights? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jurassic Park Tail lights?

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 05-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
thefewtheproud
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jurassic Park Tail lights?

Hi guys,
So I am hoping to get my jeep project started soon and I have always been a fan of the Jurassic Park jeeps. I have looked at people's replicas on here and elsewhere. The thing I really like about the ones in the movie is the rear orange running lights that are mounted above the tail ligts. Does anybody know what these are or where I could find them?
Thanks!

thefewtheproud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Scott00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do you mean tail lights like these...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55155624AC.htm
Unread 05-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
thefewtheproud
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply,
I wasn't clear in my first post. I mean like the orange lights are separate from the standard tail lights and are mounted just above them. They are big orange ligts that sit above...
Unread 05-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
syphonation
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Best pic I could find right now..

syphonation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
thefewtheproud
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Exactly! I could not find a picture of the rear of one. Anyone know anything about those?

I think its funny then when you search "jurassic park jeep" on google most of the pictures are of replicas many leading to this forum!
Unread 05-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Renegade79
2006 TJ Wrangler 

here's a good picture of them, looks like they might simply be amber fog lights bolted to the top of the tail lights.

and here's the link to a lot more:

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle.php?id=...PSESSID=7a3...
Renegade79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
thefewtheproud
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nice one! Its funny if you read the comments in that link many people are wondering what the "orange lights above the tail lights" are for, I'm not the only one! I just always remember them looking cool. I think it is a Spielberg thing, he seems to always have VERY effective vehicle lighting in his movies. The new Indianna Jones comes to mind.
Unread 05-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
CajunHiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Take a look at pages 3 & 4 of this thread.
http://www.jplegacy.org/board/showthread.php?t=14075
CajunHiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
CajunHiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So, are you also planning on doing a JP Jeep?
CajunHiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
thefewtheproud
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunHiker View Post
Take a look at pages 3 & 4 of this thread.
http://www.jplegacy.org/board/showthread.php?t=14075
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunHiker View Post
So, are you also planning on doing a JP Jeep?
Great link! I have wanted to do a JP Jeep for several years but its too bad mine is a CJ. That would probably significantly change the look and feel, also what would it be like to have this as a daily driver?
Unread 05-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
AJQuick
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to bump this up.

Has anyone found the proper rear fog lights?

Or in the very least does anyone have links to suitable alternatives? I wouldn't want to drive around with a 55W light blairing backwards all the time.

But it might come down to that!
AJQuick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
kmm

I really like the tail lights that Scott posted a link to, but when click on link it says page not found. Anyone use these or know where to purchase these from? Will I need to re-wire or will stock harness be OK? Is it possible to use stock lights with maybe these covers?
kmm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
AJQuick
1993 YJ Wrangler 

They are still out there at other sites: 55155624AC - Google Search

From what I know about Jeep wiring, they will not work with the US model. On the US model the brake light and turn signals run down the same wire. I'm sure they are seperate in Euro / AU models.
Unread 05-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #14
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

US DOT does not allow for any color running lights on the rear other than red. Same as you cannot have a red light for a front marker light, or any white lights on the rear. The only way the license plate light is able to be white is because the actual light isn't shining out, it is only illuminating - throwing light onto the plate, not anywhere else. The color distinction for front rear of a vehicle is the white headlights up front, red tail lights in the rear, and amber markers for 'outlining' the rest of the vehicle. Having white or amber lights on the rear would confuse many of the drivers on the road - they may think you are heading towards them if the rear of the vehicle looks like the front.

Many European vehicles brought over to the US have lights allowed overseas on them, but there is a switch to turn them off. The Dodge Sprinter has this, and the Crossfire also has where you can turn the individual side marker lights on, besides the normal "all marker lights on" position. It all depends on the country they were designed for.

As for the lights in the movie, they may be on there since it is not in the USA, it is on private owned land, and it is a movie (fictional) where they can do whatever they want. Think of how you are not allowed to run your off-road lights anywhere but off-road. That is why you are supposed to have covers on them unless you are off road - so they cannot blind anyone since they are too bright.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #15
AJQuick
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Laws differ from state to state.

For example, here is Minnesota statue 169.57:

Quote:
Subdivision 1.Stoplights.(a) Any vehicle may be equipped and when required under this chapter, shall be equipped with at least two stop lamps on the rear which shall emit a red or yellow light and which shall be actuated upon application of the service (foot) brake and which may, but need not be, incorporated with the taillamps and which shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of 100 feet to the rear during normal sunlight and at night.
While this section of the statue is only addressing stop lamps, it implies that a yellow light shown to the rear of the vehicle for use as a stop lamp is perfectly acceptable. Since a stop lamp is usually used as a driving light, it should be acceptable by association.

As for the brightness. I will be replacing the 55W Fog lights I bought for the rear with a much dimmer 3-5W turn signal lamp. It will only run with the running lights to "outline" the vehicle as you said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.