Jump Start Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jump Start Problem

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 04-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Jump Start Problem

So, I had to run up to the part store to get some small items and asked my neighbor to jump start my rig while I was gone. Well, I got home and the jumpers were on the ground with one of the terminal ripped off the positive side of the jumper cable. I grabbed them and they were warm to the touch.
I jumped in my rig to see if he was able to jump it and nothing. I went over to my neighbors to see what the deal was and he decided to go out shopping with his wife.
I'm sitting here fricking pissed because I'm not sure what's up

PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Was it stone dead when you left it for him to jump? Have you tried jumping it yourself since finding the cables like that?

Before I replaced my alternator I had a current drain problem and would have to jump my CJ every few days if I didn't drive it. The cables would get warm/hot like you describe. I replaced the cables in the jeep first to make sure they weren't corroded inside the jacket and causing excessive resistance but that didn't solve the problem. Turns out it was crappy jumper cables. They were the discount parts store kind that only have the wire crimped into the clamp and mine had the insulation crimped into the connection as well. I unfolded the crimps, stripped back the insulation, re-crimped and soldered the connections and it was a night and day difference.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Tried to jump it myself with a higher quality jumper cable and I'm getting a ticking noise from the solenoid. I have a new battery, positive and negative cable.....
Unread 04-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23
Tried to jump it myself with a higher quality jumper cable and I'm getting a ticking noise from the solenoid. I have a new battery, positive and negative cable.....
May be its time for a new starter or replace the the starter solenoid.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

According to my brother, when I tried to jump it, I didn't let the charge to long enough. I admit that when I did it the jumpers were hooked up maybe two minutes.
I'm going to purchase a trickle charger tomorrow (I need one for long term storage anyways) and give that a try. Rather start off cheap than replacing parts that may not need to be.
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

Make sure the battery is fully charged and try again. If you don't get anything, Then check the ignition module.
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

If your starter is old, it may be going bad. I had the same problem with cables getting really hot. I put in a new starter, and problem solved. I think it was only 30 or so dollars at Advance Auto. Cheap insurance if you ask me.
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

I have one of these. I left it on all winter never had an issue.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automat...ger-42292.html
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.