Jump Seats? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jump Seats?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
green cj 78
1978 CJ7 

Jump Seats?

Just playing with the idea of putting in FJ40 jump seats in the rear instead of the fold and tumble. Seems to me that they seem a little more user friendly when hauling other stuff. Thoughts?

green cj 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

1. you'll sit up pretty high (higher than the roll bar)
2. unless you change the rollbar, you'll have no protection in them whatsoever

I do think it's a cool idea, but not overly safe. why not just use a fold/tumble rear?

just my

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
green cj 78
1978 CJ7 

Everyone has a fold and tumble. I think that having something different would be a change.
green cj 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
AlaskanCJ
1984 CJ8 

I have seen those used as seats after the wheel well on a Scrambler. That was plus the typical fold and tumble seat. I agree on it being a little dangerous for the passengers. In fact, it might put their head at just the right height to constantly get clunked into the roll bar.

I think everyone has the typical tumble seat since it is the most practical solution for the vehicle...period.
AlaskanCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Make yourself a box or mount and put the jump seats on that! I like that idea myself. Still different but it would be safe! Check this one out and you'll understand what I mean...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bestop-bench-seat-813926/

I'm a big fan of different, check out my motto down below.

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I put FJ40 jump seats behind the fold-and-tumble in my Scrambler so I can seat six:

There are lap belts for both seats as well.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
I put FJ40 jump seats behind the fold-and-tumble in my Scrambler so I can seat six:

There are lap belts for both seats as well.
yes, but he can't or I should say shouldn't mount them to the rear wheel well on a Cj 5! That is just too high. Your seats are level just like the rear fold and tumble seats and that is safe.

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
floridajpr
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you look at the pictures closely, the added fold down seats are at about the same height as the top of the wheel wells in the jeep. That is a bit higher than the butt area of the OEM fold down rear seat.
I do agree that seats should never be mounted to the rear wheel wells.
floridajpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

CJ-8's built for export were available with longitudinally mounted folding seats that sat above the wheel wells. The CJ-8 wheel wells, however, are lower than the CJ-5/7 wheel wells, which means if you really wanted to put jump seats in the back of a 5/7, I suppose you could modify the tops of the wheel wells to be lower, there is clearance above the tires for some lowering of the tops of the wells. Doesn't seem worth the effort though.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
Green_tj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm getting ready to do this in my TJ. i gotta checkmy local pick'n'pull but i will post pics when im done
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #11
twmattox

Another source for jump seats that work well are the late '70s model Ford Supercab trucks. I picked up 2 sets for $40... They bolt directly to the floor and work extremely well...
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
SailorJerry
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So has anybody actually done this to a TJ? I think it would be super cool
SailorJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:20 AM   #13
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Apparently jump seats were available on export late model YJ's...just found this pic on my server on Friday after I thought I'd lost in a hard drive crash:

I believe what you run into is that there isn't enough headroom for an average size adult and I also believe it's illegal for street use in the US. Not something you're likely to get stopped for, but a passenger getting injured or killed in one if you got into an accident would probably place all liability squarely on you if it were proven that they would've fared better in a proper forward facing seat.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #14
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This thread is back from the dead! I'm glad, I always thought this was an awesome idea as well. How about turning the fold and tumble around so it faces the rear, has anyone done that?
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #15
Military Jeeper
1979 CJ5 

I think running a back seat sideways would be a bit dangerous in a rollover depending on the height of your passenger. Just my opinion. The CJ-8 doesn't look too bad, but that TJ looks down right scary.
Jason "MJ" - 79 CJ-5 | SOA/HI-STEER | 304/T18A/D20 w/3:1 TeraLow | Holley Avenger Carb | Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold | DUI Distributor | K&N Filter | Centerforce 2 Clutch | Waggy D44's | 4.11's | ARB's | Hydroboost | HAD Shafts | 35 Toyo MT's|
Military Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.