Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jr's '74 CJ5 (304v8), Another Project.

11K views 142 replies 14 participants last post by  Rollbar 
#1 ·
Jr just bought this '74 Jeep. Has a 304 and a 3speed tranny with a PTO and Ramsey's winch running off the PTO.
Not sure yet what tranny is in it or the axle ratio.
Has a gas tank in the rear and a tank under the drivers seat w/a valve to switch tanks (dual tanks).

Sweet Jeep.

Attachments

See less See more
#133 ·
:tea: Thanks-This is the first time he really got into something like this. Usually I would do it and he would help but this time I said "it is all up to you"

More to come :)

Oh, and hopefully no more cracks :)

I took the pic and started laughing-he caught on right away.

#137 ·
Jr stopped by and then he went out to let the Jeep warm up.

I noticed a popping noise from the mufflers, not all the time, about every 10sec.

Is this a lean mixture from the carb. Doesn't sound like valves.

I'll have to put a vacuum gauge on it tomorrow and see what's up.

#138 ·
Well Jr's Auto tranny went out. He was driving to the house and when he pulled in it wouldn't move.

I checked the front band and it was set.

Put it in Rev/Drive and nothing, but when I shift to Park the tranny is spinning so either the clutch pack is gone, torque converter, pump. I don't know.

So I told him either he can rebuild it or put the 727 from the Waggy in it that has 138k on it for now.

#141 ·
I out a Dana 300 in it.

Ya, I'm glad we didn't have to yank the tranny. Not up to that right now seeing I just got home from a Fla vacation etc and having Peaches clutch to replace.

He really needs a twin stick to hold it.

I took the yoke off so just the rail is there. I also put a tye-wrap on the one he needs to pull on to engage.

#142 ·
I wonder if it wasn't all the way in 2 hi. I have a twin stick on a 300. It doesn't seem like it would move, but I'm no expert.

B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.