Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jopolly3's CJ6 Build Thread

16K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  rejeep 
#1 ·
Hey everybody,

So I have been on here the past couple of years primarily sticking to the WJ forum. I have made my way over here because today I purchased my first CJ, a 1960 CJ6. I have always been a fan of the long wheel base CJ/Wrangler and recently have been looking for a good project frame. I was originally looking for a CJ8 but every frame I came across seemed to be very expensive for the condition they were generally in. I eventually started looking for a CJ6 which seemed even harder. Last week I came across a CJ6 on eBay that was complete with a running motor and supposedly a good frame. I bid $485 not really expecting anything and ended up getting it for $481.

I went to pick it up today not really knowing what to expect (there were not many pictures and they were low quality). I was pleasantly surprised to find this...

The Good:

-The four banger fires right up with zero hesitation. It doesn't smoke or make any noises.
-The 3-speed transmission shifts smoothly into gear and the clutch holds strong.
-The frame is solid. It obviously has surface rust but no rot ANYWHERE

The Bad:

-The floor is absolutely shot.
-The brakes do not work at all (made driving it off the trailer fun...)
-Most of the windows are broken (luckily the windshield is not)

Originally I was considering resto-modding it (possibly swap in a TJ driveline) but when I saw how well it ran I thought it would be a shame to do so. I really don't know anything about the vehicle (specs or history) or what I want to do with it so feel free to share your thoughts!

-Joe

See less See more
#8 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys :cheers2: I have been reading up on the CJ6 all day and it has gotten me very excited for this project.

The half cab is crazy to sit in. If you notice the windows in the doors are VERY small; when I was driving it into the garage I felt like I was in an old tank looking out of the little peep holes haha.

I'm thinking you got a real good deal and I am jealous of you, the cj6 is a rare bird and that's why I like them and would have give 500 dollars for it any day. Good luck and I can't wait to see it's progress.
That is what the previous owner was telling me. I really was walking into this blind, I knew nothing of the CJ6 history. I just bought it because it was cheaper than the CJ8's I was coming across but now that I know a little more I am glad I stumbled upon it.

go back and get those forward control jeeps (?) in the background!
Yeah, he just picked those two up recently. He was telling me how right before he got going on the CJ6 he found those FC's (170 & 150) and just had to have one. He was telling me how when he was my age he really wanted one so when he came across those the CJ6 very quickly took a back seat. He is also working on 2 50's Willy's Wagons.

If you were closer, I would offer to double your money.:D
Haha if you threw out that offer before I saw it/knew anything about it I would have said "HELL YEAH!" but now I am hooked...

#12 ·
Well like I had said the initial game plan was a resto mod but now am leaning toward a basic restoration/build up so I can use it to putt around town and some light trail use. I want to keep it fairly original. My WJ is a full on trail rig so I don't need to go crazy on this one. I am starting to look at this as a celebration of what makes Jeep great; a very utilitarian, take you where you need to go, do what you need to do vehicle haha

#10 ·
Here are some more pictures off my camera...

Start with a 360 (Well more of a 240 I guess haha)

On to the engine bay...

#11 ·
Here are some of the floors and undercarriage. The flash makes the frame look really bad but I ran my hand up and down both frame rails; they are beefy (relative term haha) and rot free. The floors on the other hand are pretty terrible...

Finally the luxurious interior haha...

That is all I have got for now

#15 ·
Yeah, the tub is definitely coming off to do some serious cleaning down there. I see a lot of wire wheels in my future... haha

#16 ·
Haha Probably a good idea seeing how slow the WJ's construction is going...

#18 ·
Also can anybody give me some information about the axles this thing has? Diff Wizard keeps coming up with Dana 25's front and rear, but I am almost positive that this thing has a Dana 44 rear. I found one other site that claims the CJ5 from 1955-65 (they didn't include CJ6's on the chart but they should be the same) came with a Dana 25 front and Dana 44 rear. Here are some pictures...

Front

Rear

#19 ·
Under $500??? How the heck did you get that off Ebay for under $500? You better watch out for a bolt of lightning! :rofl: That's awesome. Way to go. That would be cool with a 2" lift and some 31s. I tend to agree with you on the D25/D44, but that rear axle pic looks funny to me, so I can't confirm anything. Can't wait to see you fix that baby up!

Welcome to the Light Side of the Force! :D

#20 ·
Well I don't live in FL anymore so I am not too worried about the lightning but I am definitely going to have to pick up a lottery ticket. I really think I got it so cheap because the guy didn't hype it up enough in the listing. He had a few bad pictures and it just said "Good frame. Put some gas in and it fired up." No joke it was that brief. I am thinking a very mild lift and some small KM2's will be good for this.

#23 ·
Thanks a lot guys. I really want to keep the stock drivetrain but like most I would like to beef it up a little. I am looking into getting a little more power from the Hurricane, stronger shafts, maybe a front disc conversion; does any of this stuff exist or do I have to keep it as is if I don't want to Frankenstein it (if not I rather keep it as is)?

Also, can anybody tell me if the D25 and D30 have interchangeable covers? I seem to be getting conflicting information off of google...

...One more question for now (I am sure I will have a ton for everybody haha). What is the widest tires you guys run/have seen run on the stock steelies?

#24 ·
I just removed the air filter assembly from the CJ and first thing I noticed was it was pretty full of oil (don't know if it is supposed to be). I popped off the bottom of the canister exposing a steel mesh filter element that I could not easily remove and did not want to damage.

Can anybody provide any insight as to how to service this filter and if the oil situation is common? (I will post pictures shortly)

#25 ·
So first off I found the "Oil Level" line, oops... haha

Here is the rest of the assembly...

#27 ·
I know I originally said that I wanted to keep this project as original as possible but anybody who has read my signature knows I have a little too much going on at once. The YJ has really been neglected and I have been robbing the serious offroad gear off it left an right for the WJ. All the YJ really has left is the frame and drivetrain. I have taken a few weeks to study and plan and this is what I am currently thinking for the CJ...

Engine: 1992 YJ 4.0L - I already have most of the rebuild parts/some performance upgrades I will also likely do a port and polish job

Trans: 1992 YJ AX15 - I tore down and inspected it this weekend and ordered a rebuild kit last night

Tcase: Dana 300 - Also torn down and inspected with a rebuild kit on the way

Axles: If I do completely scrap the YJ I will use the Ford 9" in my WJ and use the D44HD for the rear (It is in great shape all I would need to do is cut off the old brackets and weld on some perches). I am looking for a Wagoneer D44 front, regear it to 4.10 so it matches the rear weld on some perches and bolt it up.

The change mainly comes from the fact that I work 40 miles from home and I generally go away on the weekends. I really want to be able to drive this thing as I please and I don't think that is possible with the stock drivetrain. As always these things have a way of changing so I will try and keep this up to date haha...

#28 ·
I spent the last two weeks picking the YJ's drivetrain apart.

This is what I started with...

I really didn't put much into the drivetrain first time around because A) everything worked and B) it was going to be a crawler so all that labor was going to be caked in mud the first time it left the garage. The chassis has been sitting like this for almost two years so I wanted to go through it. I started with the Dana 300. Like most I started taking pictures but it was slowing me down so we're jumping ahead...

Fast forward...

I started on the trans, valve cover (took a whole lot of solvent and scotchbrite to make that happen) and some brackets too...

#29 ·
Just a couple of updates today...

I cleaned up all the AX15 components and received my rebuild kit. I accidentally chipped a tooth on second gear while trying to remove it from the main shaft (post a pictures later). Here is most of it laid out...

I started working on the doors so I could test out the primer and paint I am going with. I noticed my first little bit of half-assery today that I decided to go back and fix. After priming the door panel I saw how bad it was cracked so I went back and TIG'ed it up...

#31 ·
Picked up a new piece to the puzzle that is my CJ. I found a 1978 Wagoneer D44 front that has been narrowed to fit a CJ for $250 on Craigslist. The housing looks new, the PO did a great job cleaning it up. The axle came disassembled but with all its components (including new spring plates, u-bolts, and bearings). I already have a HP44 from a 1979 Bronco that was intended for the YJ that I am going to steal the outers from to use on the CJ. The Ford components seem much beefier and then I can run a 5x5.5 bolt pattern instead of the 6 (not to mention I have a tub full of brand new brakes, lock outs, etc). I also assembled the Aussie locker I had for the YJ...

The new D44...

The pile of parts it came with...

The Wagoneer knuckle vs. the Ford knuckle...

These will hopefully give me a little more stopping power than the 9" drums...

Box of D44 parts...

Assembled Aussie locker in new 4.10 & up carrier...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.