Johnny Cash - The CJ7 Saga Continues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Johnny Cash - The CJ7 Saga Continues

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 10-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Johnny Cash - The CJ7 Saga Continues

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd throw out a pic of something I've done to my CJ7 recently. It's not really groundbreaking or anything, it's just nice to show off to people who understand.

I made a stainless steel cover for the shifter area and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I picked up a piece of 18 ga 316 stainless and went to work. I started off with a template I made from the original cover which was hacked up a bit but it was a good start. Then I laid the template down and started drawing lines.

It was a bit tough getting some of the screws to bite in the Stainless because I work hardened it too much from drilling some large holes but other than that I am really happy with the way it turned out.

BTW, I call the CJ Johnny Cash because it's all black except for a few stainless bits here and there. I'm trying to keep it subdued instead of going gaudy with too much stainless.

I'm getting ready to put in a new head, Howell TBI and a Painless wiring harness next. I hope I have the time and organization to do a good build thread on those installs.

trailhead

img_0604-small.jpg   img_0600-small.jpg   img_0593-small.jpg   img_0586-small.jpg   img_0609-small.jpg  

trailhead2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Looks good, thanks for sharing.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

And if I can figure out how to make a reasonable print from my template, I'll post it.

trailhead
Unread 10-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Cherokeester
1980 CJ7 

Clean! Nice.
Cherokeester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

Give me your dimensions and I'll do it to it. And then I'd ask some other people to fill me in on where different transmission towers end up in relation.

When I swapped to a T176 from the SR4 I needed to re-use my cover so I routed out the square notch just above the round hold for the SR4.

And now I have a coffee cup holder. No I'm not kidding either, it fits a 20oz cupand the heat from the engine and drive train means the coffee doesn't get too cold in the road draft.

[SIZE="1"][I][SIZE="2"]These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman[/SIZE][/I][/SIZE]
ACAD_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Looks like something I made for the Repli-tub I'm doing. Had to modify the opening to allow for T-4 trans shifter so a wider and longer cover plate had to be made. I then had to hand crimp new flange edges around the new cutout so the new cover would lay in the recessed edging like the originals do. I also did the same thing you did by making a heavy paper template first and then cut it out of stainless steel which I may still powder coat in gloss black like the original.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
BULLITTBUilder
1999 WJ 

Johnny Cash because it's all black huh? Does your project go together "Once Piece at a Time" ? hahah You should name your rig the Psycho Billy Jeep. Btw nice plate cover, very well executed
BULLITTBUilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Had to look being a fan of the Man in Black. Looks good.

77' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAD_Cowboy View Post
Give me your dimensions and I'll do it to it. And then I'd ask some other people to fill me in on where different transmission towers end up in relation.

When I swapped to a T176 from the SR4 I needed to re-use my cover so I routed out the square notch just above the round hold for the SR4.

And now I have a coffee cup holder. No I'm not kidding either, it fits a 20oz cupand the heat from the engine and drive train means the coffee doesn't get too cold in the road draft.
When I switched from a T-150/Dana 20 to a T-177/Dana 300 I had to make a new cover also but aluminum was much easier for me to work with.

This looks a little odd as most T-177/dana300 setups have the t-case shifter a little behind the T-176 shifter. Mine are even.

I used the Dana-20 boot for the T-case:

Then just throw a floor cover over all of it
John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

So then does anyone have plate dimensions?

AFAIK there should be an early and a late plate for the CJ7, to account for the intoduction of the SR4/T4/T5 family. Does the CJ5 have any issues in this? area? It shouldn't be too hard to catalog the various hole positions and then just make a master template drawing.

[SIZE="1"][I][SIZE="2"]These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

Unread 10-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I think I have one of each someplace. If I can find it I'll trace it and scan it for you.
Unread 10-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

The biggest problem is trying to find a scanner that is big enough. The plate comes out to about 11-1/2 inches x 14-3/4 inches. Just too big for a Ledger/B Size Scanner. Does anyone have access to something that will do either C Size or D Size sheets?

I can easily trace it on some paper, its on cardboard right now, and mail it. As far as I'm concerned anyone who wants it can have the pattern, it's just getting it into a useable file format for a CNC plasma cutter or whatever that is the hard part.

Lets hear your ideas.

trailhead
Unread 10-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I have a "D" size scanner/printer/copier at work. Need to find some paper big enough to trace it on then. Maybe just tape some together and then scan it in.
Unread 10-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Hey John, I can get some butcher paper or something similar. I'll trace it and then PM you for your address. Then I can just mail it to you to scan.

trailhead
Unread 10-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #15
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

I'll take napkin doodles as long as you have the dimensions for the features.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.