Jist finishing Chevy 350 conversion in my 84 CJ7 questions on hooking up vapor can - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jist finishing Chevy 350 conversion in my 84 CJ7 questions on hooking up vapor can

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
mooncruiser

1984 CJ7 

Jist finishing Chevy 350 conversion in my 84 CJ7 questions on hooking up vapor can

I was wondering if those that have done a Chevy V8 conversion are using the fuel filter that is on the stock 6cyl? The filter that has the extra connection that runs to the canister? I'm running a carburetor, not FI. Is it necessary to hook this up or just plug it??

Also, there is also a thick rubber hose that goes "somewhere"...it is the outlet on the top of the canister closest to the firewall which I'm not sure if it was even hooked up to anything before I pulled the motor. The one on my cannister has a broken off white tube, like 3/8" diameter in the tube. Does this need to be connected? I was running a Weber on my 6 cylinder.

From what I found, it says this thick hose goes to the carb bowl vent which my Weber didn't have and neither does the Edelbrock 1406 I'm using (for now) on my 350.

thx

84 CJ7, Chevy 350, Muncie SM465 4 spd, Dana 300, Autometer gauges, YJ spring conversion with OME springs, Bilsteins rear, Rancho 9000's...Dana 60's in the future

93 YJ - 2.5 5spd, NP231 tcase, 4.10 f & r , Posi-Lock front axle, 1" body lift, pretty stock otherwise

Last edited by mooncruiser; 04-19-2013 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: added text
mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

The fuel pump on Your 350 should have 3 connections. 1 from the the tank, 1 to the carb, and a return to the tank. You don't need the 258 filter, with 3 connections.
I would still run a filter between the pump and carb. Inlet and outlet with no return.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
mooncruiser

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
The fuel pump on Your 350 should have 3 connections. 1 from the the tank, 1 to the carb, and a return to the tank. You don't need the 258 filter, with 3 connections.
I would still run a filter between the pump and carb. Inlet and outlet with no return.

Bill
Bill-

I went out to double check and the fuel pump has 2 connections. The one I pulled off the block before rebuilding also had 2 connections.
fuelpump84cj7.jpg   vaporcanister84cj.jpg  

84 CJ7, Chevy 350, Muncie SM465 4 spd, Dana 300, Autometer gauges, YJ spring conversion with OME springs, Bilsteins rear, Rancho 9000's...Dana 60's in the future

93 YJ - 2.5 5spd, NP231 tcase, 4.10 f & r , Posi-Lock front axle, 1" body lift, pretty stock otherwise
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
mooncruiser

1984 CJ7 

So I'm thinking just leaving the canister as is, it's connected to the tank but I don't have a line to the pcv-should I tee it into the pcv, there is not a carb bowl vent on this carb-so that one will be plugged, and then there is the ported vacuum-I can hook that up to the Edelbrock since it has a ported and manifold vac connection. Don't know if i should get the 6 cyl fuel filter and connect that line or what?

I've ran chevys in a landcruiser before and not had to worry about this line

Unread 04-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncruiser View Post
So I'm thinking just leaving the canister as is, it's connected to the tank but I don't have a line to the pcv-should I tee it into the pcv, there is not a carb bowl vent on this carb-so that one will be plugged, and then there is the ported vacuum-I can hook that up to the Edelbrock since it has a ported and manifold vac connection. Don't know if i should get the 6 cyl fuel filter and connect that line or what?

I've ran chevys in a landcruiser before and not had to worry about this line
Moon,
I think that teeing the fuel evap into the pcv line and triggering it with ported vacuum tis the way to go. The only snag I see in using the two outlet fuel filter is the possibility of starving the big Chevy motor in a high rev crawling situation. I truly like the design idea by AMC using the bypass line on those fuel filters. Fuel is filtered and sent back to the tank if not used by the engine. Seems to me that in the long run, your tank and fuel system would have less "gunk" in it. BTW, your swap is looking top notch. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Jon, the fuel isn't filtered before it goes to the bypass.

OP. from the factory the fuel pumps I've seen have had a return.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Jon, the fuel isn't filtered before it goes to the bypass.
I was not aware of that... God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
mooncruiser

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon In Tucson View Post
Moon,
I think that teeing the fuel evap into the pcv line and triggering it with ported vacuum tis the way to go. The only snag I see in using the two outlet fuel filter is the possibility of starving the big Chevy motor in a high rev crawling situation. I truly like the design idea by AMC using the bypass line on those fuel filters. Fuel is filtered and sent back to the tank if not used by the engine. Seems to me that in the long run, your tank and fuel system would have less "gunk" in it. BTW, your swap is looking top notch. God bless.
Jon In Tucson
Thx Jon

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.