Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming! - Page 77 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #1141
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Very nice idea. I think I'd make the shelf pieces on the frame a little larger than the mount and it would probably be a good idea to gusset under the shelf piece.

The only issue I see it that you can't really "drop" the crossmember unless you slide it backwards first. That could cause some serviceability issues later once the drive train and body are installed.

You could just flip your current end pieces 180* and bolt it up from the bottom.
I think I'll build a mock-up and see if the current version will be able to be "dropped" without issues... <edit>It will be close but it may be able to removed... we'll see.</edit>

Thanks for the heads-up.

Unread 06-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #1142
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandandson View Post
This is epic, just spent way too much time reading this thread. Just posting so I can subscribe.
Hey, thanks. It's nice to get nice feed-back.
Unread 06-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #1143
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

I've been out laying around in the lazyboy (with a Coke Slurpee and additives ) and have been doing the occasional tinkering with a mock-up and there is no way that the current frame brackets will work. It is really, really close, but still it would be a big hassle... So now to re-do how it attaches to the frame. Thanks Mike.
Unread 06-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #1144
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Well, here is version # 102.

I'll add ribs, two, to each end of each angle.
Unread 06-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #1145
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I take it your gonna run the bolts from the bottom up? just use nuts or tap the peice of angle welded to the frame?
Unread 06-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #1146
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
I take it your gonna run the bolts from the bottom up? just use nuts or tap the peice of angle welded to the frame?
Yes, I figured 7/16 fine grade 8s and gusseting all of the angle ends should do it just fine.

Two students came over tonight to pack the rest of the spare 1 ton parts, doors, seats and jazz like that out of the car port and up a ladder to the storage loft. After the Bruins game (yeah!! awesome game) I went out and chopped a 60" length chuck of 1.9 x .125 HSS to fire into the bender and wreak carnage, but no doing... The mosquitoes were there ahead of me and had declared my work area off limits.

I'll get to the bender tomorrow with a good dose of Deep Woods Off as a part of my work couture. I hate mosquitoes.:gunfight :
Unread 06-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #1147
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

why are the bugs so bad this year! i know what you are saying, after the rain last week my jeep had a small puddle form just in front of where i work on it, after spending the entire day there (i sprayed every part of me except my sandled feet) i came home with 40 ba-zillion bites on my feet! talk about irritating, i spent the next 3 days with benadryl coated feet to stop from itching! now i lite a citronella torch near where i work and it works great.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #1148
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Jim where are you going to run the exhaust? Looks like you'd need to go under the tube.

Hey get you some of those citronella plants and put them in the shop. I had some on my porch and they really do repel the mosquitoes.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #1149
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
why are the bugs so bad this year! i know what you are saying, after the rain last week my jeep had a small puddle form just in front of where i work on it, after spending the entire day there (i sprayed every part of me except my sandled feet) i came home with 40 ba-zillion bites on my feet! talk about irritating, i spent the next 3 days with benadryl coated feet to stop from itching! now i lite a citronella torch near where i work and it works great.
I'll get some to use this afternoon. Listening to the radio this morning I heard a piece on the mosquito population for this year. It sounds bad. It has been cool and wet- fertile grounds for mosquitoes Here is a pic of the wet-lands on the other side of our mountain valley-

The ponds and marshes run for about 10 km then there is a 100 km lake for the little buggers to breed in, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Jim where are you going to run the exhaust? Looks like you'd need to go under the tube.

Hey get you some of those citronella plants and put them in the shop. I had some on my porch and they really do repel the mosquitoes.
I'll look around for the plants but we may not have them up here- too cool. I guess those mosquito coils will be a certain thing this year.

I had been wondering where the exhaust would run. Perhaps above the horizontal section of the crossmember?? on the passenger side. I may have to extend the horizontal run to accomodate it.

I have a question for you, too.

Is it even possible to join two bends together to form an S with the JD bender?? I have 2 pair of reversed bends in the current shape. The design may need to change again.
Unread 06-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #1150
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:

Hi Jim. I think I can sneak the exhaust above and to the right of the tcase, intersecting through the butt end of where the green 4x4 chunk is sitting in the pic. This should be above the crossmember and clearing the right side of the tcase.
Unread 06-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #1151
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I'm not sure whether you can make bends that close or not Jim. I'd have to give it a try. I do know this much, it matters the order in which you plan to do it. There needs to be a straight senction of the tube riding in the follower. Just guessing though I think you'll have a tough time getting them that close.

My build thread
Unread 06-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #1152
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
I'm not sure whether you can make bends that close or not Jim. I'd have to give it a try. I do know this much, it matters the order in which you plan to do it. There needs to be a straight senction of the tube riding in the follower. Just guessing though I think you'll have a tough time getting them that close.
Yes, I just tossed a length of HSS onto the JD2 m3 and with a careful plan I should be able to get two opposite bends close together .... sometimes. Sort of like starting in the middle and working outwards along what ever straight section still exists perhaps.

Wow, it does take a strong pull to bend that .125 walled HSS. Now I see why you're really thinking about a power unit for it.

I just went home at lunch and gave it a shot. Tonight will be a big step!

I'm looking forward to being able to roll the ScrambledJ around again.
Unread 06-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #1153
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

I took a curve out of the drawing then noticed where the tube intersected the angle on one end. I lowered it a bit to this:

I have more edge of the member to weld to the angle like this (if I can with my welding skills) so this is what I have now:

Also, after Jim1611 mentioned that my exhuast could have an issue, I lengthened the straight run on the passenger side of the crossmember.
Unread 06-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #1154
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Jim is there a paticular reason you want to mount the crossmember between the frame rails and not on the bottom? Now you see why we want the power attachment for the bender.

I'm waiting to see what you come up with. I'm sure it will be nice work.

My build thread
Unread 06-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #1155
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Jim is there a paticular reason you want to mount the crossmember between the frame rails and not on the bottom? Now you see why we want the power attachment for the bender.

I'm waiting to see what you come up with. I'm sure it will be nice work.
Hi Jim. Two reasons that I've been working with.

I've always liked the look of flat lower frame rails and think that it may look clean this way.

The other is that my two frame rails will be totally sealed, I think, after a little work behind the front bumper. I thought I'd pour in a quart of some of that "red-neck-home-brew-waxoyl" into each rail from the front then seal it up.

The current setup reduces the number of through-bolts into the interior.

That big NP205 still needs another support on its driver's side end that must also attach, through another mount, to the inside frame rail. I've been looking at that and it looks as though I'll even be able to re-use a stock set of Ford brackets for that.

Tags
hybrid scrambler , scrambler tj frame

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.