Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming!

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #61
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well have you figured out what size tires you want to run? Decide on that and then JF can help you pick out axles (IMHO if I were to start all over, I would go for 37's and stop it there. RARELY do you really need to go larger) Depends what your doing with it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #62
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg311TJ View Post
I'm thinking about a D60/14 bolt combo for myself.( shaved or flipped ) But this is your rig so, here's a few threads to read through. These are TJ's and running all sorts of axles, Tires, and tranny combo's. But you can learn a lot and get a few ideas along the way. Make sure you look through the whole 1st post top and bottom. Tons of info.

Link Below.....

Ultimate TJ Build Ups and Swaps thread - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
OK. Got to the link you sent me. Thank you. I'll be studying for a couple of nights. So the price for the boxed front d60 is $1200 and the wrong geared 14 bolt is free. Not bad, I don't think. So my budget is pretty much gone but at least the expensive big stuff is done.

I've spent the limit so I'll just go full width on the axles. That has now been decided, too.

Thanks, mcg311TJ

Jim
Unread 02-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #63
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
Well have you figured out what size tires you want to run? Decide on that and then JF can help you pick out axles (IMHO if I were to start all over, I would go for 37's and stop it there. RARELY do you really need to go larger) Depends what your doing with it .
I think 35s are only as big as I'll go but the big rear ends will just be cool. You only live once, yeah?
Unread 02-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #64
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Look into a 9". East coast gear supply has some for cheap. a 14B is kind of big for only 35's. 9's can be made very strong.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #65
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
Look into a 9". East coast gear supply has some for cheap. a 14B is kind of big for only 35's. 9's can be made very strong.
Yes a buddy at work has been at me about the Ford 9. If the current deal falls through everything is up in the air again but it seems firm.
Unread 02-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #66
MikeBK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Yes a buddy at work has been at me about the Ford 9. If the current deal falls through everything is up in the air again but it seems firm.
Is the Dana 60 front a standard open diff, $1200.00 is still a good price even if it is. If I remember correctly, not that I always do, I bought a used front 60 for $700.00. By the time I put a locker, regeared to match the rear, new rotors, bearings, manual locking hubs and loaded calipers I was at aprox. $1500.00, If I did not have a Rubi, I would definitly go 60's again
Unread 02-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #67
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBK View Post
Is the Dana 60 front a standard open diff, $1200.00 is still a good price even if it is. If I remember correctly, not that I always do, I bought a used front 60 for $700.00. By the time I put a locker, regeared to match the rear, new rotors, bearings, manual locking hubs and loaded calipers I was at aprox. $1500.00, If I did not have a Rubi, I would definitly go 60's again
It is supposed to have brakes and rotors installed and is an open diff. I don't know if GM ever supplied anything but open diffs. I don't know if locking hubs are installed or if it is just dust capped.
Unread 02-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #68
MikeBK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It is supposed to have brakes and rotors installed and is an open diff. I don't know if GM ever supplied anything but open diffs. I don't know if locking hubs are installed or if it is just dust capped.
I would put the manual locking hubs on if it does not have them, do you think you will ever have the need for the locker?
Unread 02-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #69
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBK View Post
I would put the manual locking hubs on if it does not have them, do you think you will ever have the need for the locker?
Yes, locker or pseudo-locker/lsd

I have walked right through stuff using a front True-Trac. Without it i know I would have needed some major tugging. I know the True-Trac isn't a real locker but for my purposes it matches my needs better. i'll put one in after the build and I've had the bank account "stable" for a few months.
Unread 02-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #70
MikeBK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, locker or pseudo-locker/lsd

I have walked right through stuff using a front True-Trac. Without it i know I would have needed some major tugging. I know the True-Trac isn't a real locker but for my purposes it matches my needs better. i'll put one in after the build and I've had the bank account "stable" for a few months.
Go with the Detroit locker, you wont be sorry.
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #71
mcg311TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
Look into a 9". East coast gear supply has some for cheap. a 14B is kind of big for only 35's. 9's can be made very strong Very Good point.
Yes it would be, But if he flipped it or shaved it.... He could run 35"s ( still dragging @ss BTW ) but he would be all set if he steps up. Plus with a 14 bolt and 35"s, he really beat the F#$% out of that and not break it.
mcg311TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #72
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes it would be, But if he flipped it or shaved it.... He could run 35"s ( still dragging @ss BTW ) but he would be all set if he steps up. Plus with a 14 bolt and 35"s, he really beat the F#$% out of that and not break it.
if your gonna run a 14 bolt and 35's you might as well run a d35 and 31's.
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #73
mcg311TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
if your gonna run a 14 bolt and 35's you might as well run a d35 and 31's.

I know, but thanks for the heads up
mcg311TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #74
Flatbroke
Web Wheeler

Quote:
I can just do this.

Shaving a Dana 60 Housing for Clearance

Ground clearance issue resolved. I guess I just want to see that massive set of axles under there. This could be a really nice build.
I beleive you may end up with the nicest jeep on regina street

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRussoX
Haha

I actually look at a Jeepers nuts to see how informed they are. Ditch your nuts man!

Russo
Flatbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #75
teamgreen666
1994 YJ Wrangler 

this jeep will be sweet can`t wait too see more...
teamgreen666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid scrambler , scrambler tj frame

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.