Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming! - Page 48 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming!

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 12-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #706
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I like the colors too Jim. Sitting here looking at the brakes/rearend got me to wondering. With the tall tires you have you're going to need a good brake system. You're going to have that with the disc set-up but what are you planning on using for a brake booster?

Hope you enjoy the New Year and be safe.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 04:24 PM   #707
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysPirate View Post
LOOKING GOOD........I like the red!!!! Marry Christmas & Happy New Year!!!!
Thanks Ken!

Have a walk in the sand for me!
Unread 12-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #708
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
You've got one heck of a color scheme goin on in/under the WTF J, dont you. LOL
Yeah, the red isn't as nice as the gold caliper paint may have been, but I didn't feel like painting them black. As a kid I always thought those sports cars with red calipers were cool... so now I can check it out myself!
Unread 12-31-2010, 05:02 PM   #709
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Front brakes done

I finally got the front calipers installed and loaded with new pads. I did the same red paint job, wire wheeled the bolts clean and did the install. I'm glad I saved the stainless sliders that go between the caliper mounting frame and the calipers and pads. I glass bead blasted them not knowing if they would come with new calipers or pads. Neither my new calipers or the pads came with them...

Man those brakes are huge.
Here is the driver side loaded up ready for the caliper.

Now to drill and bolt the tub to the frame. Paint my DIY shock mounts then get to the tcase and tranny rebuild- at least I think they're next!
Unread 12-31-2010, 05:12 PM   #710
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I like the colors too Jim. Sitting here looking at the brakes/rearend got me to wondering. With the tall tires you have you're going to need a good brake system. You're going to have that with the disc set-up but what are you planning on using for a brake booster?

Hope you enjoy the New Year and be safe.
Thanks Jim. I asked my frame builder, who runs these parts, and he has said the stock Jeep booster and master work well. I don't know about the proportioner yet. Also, a buddy across the road from me, Gordy, told me that some sort of full-size Ford master will bolt right to a Jeep booster, YJ or TJ... and it has an adjustable plunger. Got to check on that as I want to be able to lock those 4 puppies up.

If anyone knows what a good choice would be for strong brakes- master/booster- (Jason M??) please pipe in. I don't want hydro. KISS (keep it simple $tupid) is big with me and $$, too. I'ld like to still have good braking even if my engine stalls.
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #711
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

bump

If anyone knows what a good choice would be for strong brakes- master/booster- (Jason M??) please pipe in. I don't want hydro. KISS (keep it simple $tupid) is big with me and $$, too. I'ld like to still have good braking even if my engine stalls.

Thanks Everyone and Happy New Year
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #712
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What? a FORD 5.0 STALL?? Never!

Merry New Year man.
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #713
chuckt62

Don't you have something off one of those cannibalized Ford trucks.
chuckt62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #714
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

^^^I think the boosters and masters off the 1 ton fords are too big to fit in the WTF-j but idk...
Unread 01-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #715
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Jim here's a link. http://www.sams4x4store.com/index.html They advertise a brake booster that will get you stopped if you're running big tires. I have not owned one so can't tell you first hand though. I also ran across another place the other day but haven't found it again yet. I'll keep looking.
copy_of_brake_booster.jpg  

My build thread
Unread 01-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #716
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Found what I was looking for. Here you go Jim. http://www.the-jeep-guy.com/brakes.htm

My build thread
Unread 01-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #717
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
What? a FORD 5.0 STALL?? Never!

Merry New Year man.

Well, I've had pretty good luck going with "hope for the best plan for the worst"!!
Unread 01-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #718
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckt62 View Post
Don't you have something off one of those cannibalized Ford trucks.
Quote:
^^^I think the boosters and masters off the 1 ton fords are too big to fit in the WTF-j but idk...
I think I measured the size of the booster last summer sometime. I'll check it again though. Thanks for the reminder about the parts truck.
Unread 01-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #719
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Jim here's a link. http://www.sams4x4store.com/index.html They advertise a brake booster that will get you stopped if you're running big tires. I have not owned one so can't tell you first hand though. I also ran across another place the other day but haven't found it again yet. I'll keep looking.
Quote:
Found what I was looking for. Here you go Jim. http://www.the-jeep-guy.com/brakes.htm
Wow, thanks for helping with the shopping, Jim! Yes, that is a good price at $300 for the works. I'll do a little poking around to see if I can cobble something similar together for less but I bet I'll just buy the disk/disk version.

thanks for the help. appreciate it.
Unread 01-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #720
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
I think I measured the size of the booster last summer sometime. I'll check it again though. Thanks for the reminder about the parts truck.
Yeah- measured it and it is huge. More than 10" diameter. The CJ7 had manual brakes and the master is not useable. It is going to take some $. Oh well.

Tags
hybrid scrambler , scrambler tj frame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.