Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming! - Page 46 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #676
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

DIY Shock Pins

Started off the day by sleeping in till 7:30. Woohoo!! Did nothing in the am, took the doodle for a hike for the first time in 4 weeks since his cut pad and my down-time, got stalked by two coyotes, then got off of the mountain. Then- did nothing... then got to work!

Did a little shopping at our local machine shop yesterday and bought a few different diameters of rod stock and a couple of feet of 7/8 square stock. Then made some shavings!

I didn't through-drill the 7/8 square stock with the 5/8 diameter bit. The 5/8 pins will be trapped in each block end. My 5/16 cap screws will pass through the blocks and drillings in each end of the 5/8 cross pins and mount in their receivers on the axle in the front or the frame in the rear. I was surprised that the cross pins I needed were actually 5/8 diameter but that's what I needed and bought for shaft stock.

I'll finish off tomorrow! Clean up the edges and faces, etch prime, paint then install those monotubes!

Unread 12-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #677
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Limiting suspension droop

Can I rely on my RE monotubes to limit my droop while the rig sits on the hoist? No swaybars installed yet.
Unread 12-20-2010, 06:39 AM   #678
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Nice job Jim.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #679
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

you "can", just be easy and no pryin/jumpin up and down on the axles. i personally would but im hard on crap!!!
Unread 12-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #680
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Nice job Jim.
Thanks! I don't own a vise for my drillpress table and boy, those pins were difficult to drill through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
you "can", just be easy and no pryin/jumpin up and down on the axles. i personally would but im hard on crap!!!
OK, I'll try it and lift it real slow.
Unread 12-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #681
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Shock pins- front corner version 1.0

Well, those cross pins were difficult to cross-drill without having them clamped down on the drillpress properly... Gota get one of those vises... With a little effort though I did get one assembly finished and one front shock mounted. Here are the results of the first test fit. Look OK!

I'll yank the pieces and rust-proof them then re-mount them for good.
The shock tubes are longer than the stroke. The full stroke length is 10.5 inches. The way it sits right now, I have 5 1/2 inches up-travel and 5 inches for droop. After the engine goes in I'll lose at lest 2 1/2 to 3 inches... Hmmm... maybe spacers above the front coils or shorter shocks...
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #682
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I realize this may be a silly question but why bother doing the BPEs? Why not just weld on some shock tabs and use a bolt and nut for the lower shock mounts?
Unread 12-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #683
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
I realize this may be a silly question but why bother doing the BPEs? Why not just weld on some shock tabs and use a bolt and nut for the lower shock mounts?
Hi Jay. You know I didn't think a couple of tabs of angle welded in place would have worked for me. It would have been faster. I'm not great at welding upside down (I envy guys who can- what an art) and the tabs would have had to go below the currie brackets then the bushes sleeved. I guess I could have bolted them in place though...
This way if the monotubes just won't work, because of being too long, I can swap out the shocks later to something else and not have any left over mods to remove.
I did go out today and bought a couple of new 5/16 cobalt bits. Boy, they cut nicley.
Here is what I figured out today to speed up the job. One c clamp and everything is much easier.

Merry Christmas to ya!
Unread 12-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #684
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Id go with the spacer on top of the coils man. Any type of travel is good, weather up or down. If your shocks travel 10.5" use at least 10" of it. But its totally your rig man.
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #685
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Id go with the spacer on top of the coils man. Any type of travel is good, weather up or down. If your shocks travel 10.5" use at least 10" of it. But its totally your rig man.
Yeah, OK, I'll think about it!, but look how frigin big it is already... Maybe if the ride height didn't get any bigger... The shocks and axle placement are great right now, I've got to confess- 5 up, 5 down...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ji...l#post10633512
I'm doing the brake brackets now. One finished and shiney! Now to center punch, drill and tap.
On a side note, I had to take the rear disk caliper 3/8 plate down to the machine shop and have them rought it out for me. My little torch couldn't keep the plate even cherry couldn't get through it while clamped to my metal welding table and 1 1/2 angle straight edge...

So, more slow progress!
Unread 12-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #686
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Right Rear Disk Set Up Done

Well- I got a little time today to finish off the right rear bracket and test fit everything. Here are the results!

A great fit in steel instead of just plywood!
So- clean up, prime, paint add pads and celebrate!

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Unread 12-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #687
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Rear disk setup looks good. Keep up the great work.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #688
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Merry Christmas man. U gonna paint the brackets black? Are you gonna leave the axle's the color in the pic above??
Unread 12-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #689
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Rear disk setup looks good. Keep up the great work.
Thanks, Mike.

Quote:
Merry Christmas man. U gonna paint the brackets black? Are you gonna leave the axle's the color in the pic above??
Season's Greetings!! Woohoo!

I figured the brackets could be painted the darker industrial Rustoleum grey. Haven't decided what color for the f&r calipers. Maybe heat resistant gold...
Unread 12-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #690
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

A Little X-Mas Day Shop Time

I had been wondering since last night how the pads would actually fit. It turns out I needed to stack two thick washers between the the axle flange and the bracket. This comes to about 3/16 of and inch. If I install the anti-squeal shim between the inside pad and the piston, I'll need to space the bracket even more inward. I may leave the inner shim out. The outer shim can install no prob. Yes, I know I have a left outside pad mounted on the right side! I'll swap it later!

You can see the way the outer pad sits above the rotor. I could have lowered it 1/16th more in my design, but it sure would have been tight. Both pads will need a 3/16 chamfer along the outer edges.

Now, to finish the left side!

Tags
hybrid scrambler , scrambler tj frame

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.