Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming! - Page 41 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #601
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overblown View Post
Awesome jeep, awesome dog! He's a standard right?
Thanks! He's a Lab Poodle cross. 3/4 poodle, 1/4 lab. Real awesomely smart. Drops a bit of hair but not like our old Lab!

Unread 11-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #602
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

GY MTR Kevlars at home

Well, I picked up the first two of the five. After the post last night I had a set-back. Got through 2 1/2 rims. The little (cheap price) 1/4" shanked bits fatigued and snapped. I knew I should have bought the 1/2 shanks like the other guys... Anywho. I took the first two over to the tire shop and they mounted up two and here they are, but 1st the carnage

So to route out two more rims tomorrow.
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #603
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Those are some dandy tires you have there Jim!

Hey in reading about cutting the id. of the wheel out to fit over the axle hub take care not to take any more than you have to. That should fit so that the id. of the wheel is a slip fit over the hub because that is what centers the wheel and carries the load on the wheel, not the lug bolts.
The lug bolts required have a taper on the seat and sit down onto a chamfer on the rims. I thought this made them lug bolt/nut centered? My Ford steels had some play to them, too. I do have 1/32 clearance, H2 rim to hub when bolted down on the two I've done. I can always put back some aluminum back onto the id of the rim if needed, but is it necessary?

Thanks for looking at this, Jim.

Quote:
Ive herd the newer Ford hubs are a tad thicker. The rotor Idea works great, make's a mess but works good. Build is looking awasome.

Jason.
Hi there Jason. Thanks. Looks like your help ages ago now it seems is finally paying off. The rims fit great, didn't cost too much and have a great backspacing - perfect in fact. Thanks for suggesting them. Check out the photos on the next thread down. I'll post a bunch of pics showing how the fit is with the GY tires I have.
Seasons Greetings to you and have a good one!
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #604
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Goodyear Kevlars on Scrambler

Well, I have 2 1/2 rims left to turn out but I have the two I took to the tire shop for mounting back and bolted to the Scrambler. Here is a side shot. The Scrambler (with TJ suspension geometry) is unloaded and perhaps 2 to 3 inches higher than final ride height.

The next pic show what sort of fender width I'll need. I'm glad I went with Jason M's suggestion with using H2 rims. I need close to full fender tire coverage and the fenders won't be too obscenely big.

Here you can see that the locking hubs are just inside the face of the side-walls.

Here are three shots showing how well the 40s with 5.5 backspacing fit around the frame and suspensions components- ZERO interference. I have tons of rubbing with my YJ... This will be a nice chage to have no rubbing with full lock to lock steering again.

Finally- yes, I do have more cutting to do! The rear well need to get opened up just a little. No prob- later I'll get to it. Like in the spring before it rolls out.

So- got to do house chores then off to the shop after buying some 1/2 shnked router bits...
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #605
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

My server may be down for a few days. I've been asked to swap out my Shaw Cable modem. The server will be up but my IP number may change and I'll need to re-do my DNS that this takes up to 24 hours to propagate.

I wonder if it really is because that the current unit is really old now or if there is some other new feature built-in to it (that I don't want them to have)... Mega conspiracy theory, eh? Oh well. So sorry- no pics maybe for a while. They live here locally.
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #606
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Everything looks great Jim. Those are some healthy tires!! I like the fact too that you are staying with a full floater rear axle too. They're hard to beat.

Hey maybe I missed it but what's the intended use for this after you get finished?

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #607
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Everything looks great Jim. Those are some healthy tires!! I like the fact too that you are staying with a full floater rear axle too. They're hard to beat.

Hey maybe I missed it but what's the intended use for this after you get finished?
Hi there Jim. If size matters I guess I have no worries or may have over-compensated a bit! But I just liked the look of that Rokmen Jeep TJ/LJ.

As for intended use, I want a vehicle that can go anywhere I feel like, and I'm not "that adventurous" any more..., a vehicle that was strong, reliable, about the size of an LJ or a Scrambler, maybe one with a small back tool box space, and one that got ~20 mpg.

I just didn't think that buying 38s or 39s would do it. For me there is something cool about getting out of the 30s range, so they had to be 40s. Now the goal is to see it settle down a couple of inches...

What do you think about the rims? The tapered nuts are centering the rims and taking the load just like my aluminum ZJ and YJ rims did.
Unread 11-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #608
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Hi there Jim. If size matters I guess I have no worries or may have over-compensated a bit! But I just liked the look of that Rokmen Jeep TJ/LJ.

As for intended use, I want a vehicle that can go anywhere I feel like, and I'm not "that adventurous" any more..., a vehicle that was strong, reliable, about the size of an LJ or a Scrambler, maybe one with a small back tool box space, and one that got ~20 mpg.

I just didn't think that buying 38s or 39s would do it. For me there is something cool about getting out of the 30s range, so they had to be 40s. Now the goal is to see it settle down a couple of inches...

What do you think about the rims? The tapered nuts are centering the rims and taking the load just like my aluminum ZJ and YJ rims did.
Well the 40's sure are getting you a bit beyond the norm and it ought to handle about anything you throw at it. They are great tires. I like what you have in mind for goals as to what it's going to be used for.

From what I have read and been told the lug bolts are not made for carrying the load on the wheel. You've got some heavy duty axles there and some heavy weight tires. I'm not sure what those tires weigh but they are pretty heavy, even with kevlar. I understand about the tapered nuts and where they fit but I'd be more inclined to give only enough clearance so the wheel will just slip over the hub. Something else I'd do is to put anti-sieze in between the hub and the wheel. I have some on my truck and you have to beat them off with a hammer unless you do. The aluminum oxidizes to the steel.

My build thread
Unread 11-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #609
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Sitting on 4 40s now!

Quote:
Well the 40's sure are getting you a bit beyond the norm and it ought to handle about anything you throw at it. They are great tires. I like what you have in mind for goals as to what it's going to be used for.

From what I have read and been told the lug bolts are not made for carrying the load on the wheel. You've got some heavy duty axles there and some heavy weight tires. I'm not sure what those tires weigh but they are pretty heavy, even with kevlar. I understand about the tapered nuts and where they fit but I'd be more inclined to give only enough clearance so the wheel will just slip over the hub. Something else I'd do is to put anti-sieze in between the hub and the wheel. I have some on my truck and you have to beat them off with a hammer unless you do. The aluminum oxidizes to the steel.
No-sieze! Can't live without it. I usually do use it there, too. Well, more often than not! I have 3 milled out perfectly, one with a couple of thou- no more- almost taking off the hub paint on the little step on the hub and one rim with 1/32 extra that will be the spare I suppose. So, I'm OK with the routing and happy to see it done. Each rim was faster to do- the last couple taking only 5 minutes or so including clean up.

The tire shop mounted the last 2 40s today and they are on now, too. It sure is cool to see the Scrambler sitting there now fitted out with 40s. Kind of a milestone for me.

I forgot also to mention that with the 40s, 4.10s and 1:1 tranny gearing the rpms are about 1900 at 55 mph. Still high but about right pushing the 40s. It gets my engine injection system into another part of the fuel table- less fuel- on the highway. That's a good thing.
Unread 11-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #610
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Here's the gear calculator I use. It's nice if you're running another ration along the line somewhere. Just use 1 for the Primary Ratio if you have a 1:1 tcase and or one tranny.
RPM & Gearing to Speed Calculator
Unread 11-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #611
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So how much of a rear flare are you goin to have to run to cover those 13.5" wide beasts??
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #612
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey Jim I thought of something else on routing the wheels, maybe you already did too. If you've got a 45 degree chamfer bit you should cut a chamfer on the inside edge of the wheel.

Sounds like they're fitting great too.

My build thread
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #613
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
So how much of a rear flare are you goin to have to run to cover those 13.5" wide beasts??
Hi Eric. I had been pondering that for some time, too. It measures out to about 9 inches for total coverage or 8 inches to fully cover the tread. I don't think the scale of the build will make 8 1/2 inch fenders appear too big. The front axle is a wider track and will need another inch on each side to get about the same coverage.

On a side note I've got 13 inches from the shop slab to the bottom of my rear 1 ton diff.
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #614
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Hey Jim I thought of something else on routing the wheels, maybe you already did too. If you've got a 45 degree chamfer bit you should cut a chamfer on the inside edge of the wheel.

Sounds like they're fitting great too.
Hi there Jim. It is funny how things work out sometimes. The first rim that I routed- the one that took the longest... Was manufactured differently than my other 4. The single rim came from Vegas. The other 4 came from MI or IL if I recall... Anyways the 1st rim took longer to finish off. It didn't have any inside chamfer or recessed shoulder for a top router bearing to run on and I sort did it the way others have on internet then used a round over to guide a top bearing flush bit. The other 4 had almost 1/4 chamfers that I ran a top-bearinged bit along by just setting the depth for it to run on. I sort of had it figured before finishing the 2nd rim with 3, 4, and 5 working out perfect. Any ways, there is a slight chamfer that remains on the inside of the rim that picks up the ridges on the hubs and centers the rim down just right.
Unread 11-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #615
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Poser pics only ;-)

I got the snowblower out and cleaned up the back then braved opening the garage door for the first time in a long while. Here are a couple of shots, poorly lit mind you, of the Scrambler's new stance.

Ken- the one pic below with the white fluffy stuff along the bottom edge... is snow. Just sayin', you lucky guy!!

Tags
hybrid scrambler , scrambler tj frame

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.