Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming! - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 11-21-2010, 05:40 AM   #586
KeysPirate
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great video……commentary not to bad either. Bit I think Duke is the star of the show…and he’s just having a good old time!!!

KeysPirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #587
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice build. Suscribed

My Youtube Channel

1979 CJ-5 304 V-8, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Sold

Anyways, I wanna go wheelin'!
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #588
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysPirate View Post
Great video……commentary not to bad either. Bit I think Duke is the star of the show…and he’s just having a good old time!!!
Thanks, Ken. I think Duke's the star, too! Temp is -15 C with winds at a constant 40 km/hr (30 mph). Maybe you miss this weather and need a break from the Keys?
Unread 11-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #589
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJAbuzer View Post
Nice build. Suscribed
Thanks.
Unread 11-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #590
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

OK, I have a call in to Todd at Aqualu about the placement of my tub body mounts to frame mount locations. You can see by the photos that they don't line up as well as OEM... That I'm using a one-off frame and a hand-made tub has everything to do with the irregularity and things are a little out. Not complaining- just sayin!

Here's how the mounts line up on the passenger side- rear to front. The driver side is identical for positions:

Once the tub gets bolted down I can pull it and start on the engine/driveline.
Unread 11-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #591
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Goodyear 40s Wrangler MTR with Kevlar arrived

Well, I got an unexpected phone call today from the tire shop. The first 4 of 5 40s arrived. So here is Brian from the tire shop posing with them!

I dropped by next door to see Mr. RebelRacing to deliver the news only to find out that he's been looking at them for a while.

Then he helped me grab all of the big stuff for the rear brakes! I've got lots to do now!
Unread 11-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #592
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

So after RebelRacing helped me sort out what exactly to buy for the rear end I wound up with this nice little pile. 1 ton Ford Cargo Van rear disc rotors and 1986 GM 3/4 ton truck front calipers. They were $1 less than the older versions that really were identical although using a different parts number.

Thanks RebelRacing for the help.

So now I can get the template work for the caliper brackets sorted out. I'll make them sort of like this but using 3 holes instead of two if I can.

Those are sure big rotors. This is a non-ebrake setup as I'll be using a drive-line ebrake off of my NP205 tcase.
So, all of the goodies go up here:

So, up with this job is the machining of the H2 spindle holes in each rim. A friend here did it with a fly cutter on a massive drill press. I'll use the router method. Then off they go to the tire shop.
Unread 11-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #593
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

cool deal with the 40s!!! N those are some massive brakes....
Unread 11-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #594
spark plug
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Those are some BIG tires!
Unread 11-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #595
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
spark plug Those are some BIG tires!
Seeing those babies I'm really motivated to keep the work going! Too bad I'm thinking to myself now "I wish I wasn't volunteering my time..." ;-) I'm going to be busy for a week or so before X-Mas for some other work I do, so I may not be getting out to the shop ... Oh well

Quote:
EricsGreen98Tj cool deal with the 40s!!! N those are some massive brakes....
Yeah- should be enough to go to the mall! Check out the rotors behind the rim below!
Unread 11-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #596
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

H2s on the hubs!

So I rushed home to begin work on the rims now that the big a$$ tires are here!

As it turns out my front Dana 60 hubs seem to require more milling than others on internet. After the shoulder is removed I need to take off about another 3/32 thickness more to increase the diameter enough to get the rim to fit and bottom out on the hub. Front and rear are the same. Here is what I have now... I took off 1/32 more than I need to.

There's the rotor behind the rim. Woohoo!!! 4 rims to go!

This is what I'm doing. I start off with the flush router bit and remove the shoulder. Then pop on a filleting bit and round it over. Then, use a router bit with the bearing on top to follow along the slightly increased diameter (just barely following over the face of the rim). this leaves an edge that gets shaved off with the 1st bit with the bearing on the bottom.
[EDIT] The 1st rim I machined was different than the other 4. The first didn't have any chamfer on the back side. The other 4 had almost a 1/4 chamfer to guide a top bearinged flush bit.[/EDIT]

This is what I'm left with. what is showing is 2/3 of what I cut out. I had already vacuumed once to clean up the mess...

So I'll do at least two more tonight. This is taking longer than I had expected!
Unread 11-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #597
overblown
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome jeep, awesome dog! He's a standard right?
overblown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #598
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

good progress man!!! Keep it moving forward..
Unread 11-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #599
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Those are some dandy tires you have there Jim!

Hey in reading about cutting the id. of the wheel out to fit over the axle hub take care not to take any more than you have to. That should fit so that the id. of the wheel is a slip fit over the hub because that is what centers the wheel and carries the load on the wheel, not the lug bolts.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #600
jason m

Ive herd the newer Ford hubs are a tad thicker. The rotor Idea works great, make's a mess but works good. Build is looking awasome.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hybrid scrambler , scrambler tj frame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.