Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming! - Page 29 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming!

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-31-2010, 11:51 PM   #421
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

How/where do I weld on the shock mounts for the rear axle? I don't have a TJ to look at for a few days so I suppose I'm held up waiting for a while...

Repositioned the one trackbar/CA bracket on the rear and now the axles are parallel and square to the 1/16 inch. The old axle vent is now exposed for an easy threaded plug. The squaring of the frame and axles is completed and the 4 control arm pairs show the same thread counts, so my brackets are now "officially" set in place now.

Unread 07-31-2010, 11:58 PM   #422
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Being lazy and not wanting to wait... I could just place the two shock brackets on my Sterling by copying the locations on this pic, above...??? Then the axles will be only needing front coil buckets to be placed. This would be a nice amount of work for tomorrow.
Unread 08-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #423
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Ton of pics and suspension DONE!!!

Got to the rear shock mounts, fixed up the breather on the rear axle, took off a few ounces of diff housing and mounted/modified the Currie front coil/shock mounts to fit in a few hours today. Everything is now ready for the Mobile Welder to make permanent now.

Took off a little of the housing spring perch in two places. A big chunk off of the rear and up beside the pumpkin.

Here is the rear breather all nice and ready for a vent hose...

Here is one of two control arm pics showing the equal length control arms- I got the brackets pretty darn close to where they should be. Like I said before, everything measures (including diagonals) to 1/16 or better.

Rear shock mounts in place. Maybe I got them swapped left for right... Gotta check.

So now to wait for the welder.
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #424
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Swapped those rear shock mounts. Way better.
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #425
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Did some clean up and shot another few pics. Here is the rear end with the shock mounts swapped. Must have been too late in the day to have been doing that in the first place. Either that or the beer.

You can see how I've slid the driver's coil mount inward a bit more in the next pic. Also, I lowered it another 1/8th.

I changed the final angle a bit here. you can see a bit of weld shimming up the rear some. Also, I didn't mention that this driver's side mount is 3/8 higher than the passenger side. I'll just add a 1/4 to a half on the passenger side when installing the bump stops.

Calling the welder today.
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #426
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Brackets and Tubes Almost Fully Welded

The welder arrived and got started. Little were we to know that 10000 (yes 10,000 but I can't believe it) hippie-druggie-losers were wrapping up this summer's Shambala lalalala = waste of a weekend music mountain bush party that is an attempt of another Woodstock. This great fest took place to the west, on the other side of Kootenay Summit. My welder is a volunteer fireman. He was called out to 7 roll-overs, head-ons and single car totals. Would you believe that most were drugged up losers? Two accidents with fatalities.

Needless to say the work went slow. As soon as he returned he was called out again. We packed it in after he return at 7:00 PM from an ambulance rollover. The hospital is now overwhelmed, the ambulances out of supplies and their crews exhausted.

Here is what we got done. Tons of pre-heat to 350 to 450 degree F. The 1 x 1/8th bar is maintaining the bracket spacing.

I may join the upper mount and right lower bracket with a piece of 1 x 1/8th bar. Just for piece of mind. This will reinforce the lower bracket and also forces going constantly through the shock mount.

It is difficult to tell but we raised the passenger side coil and shock mount 3/8 inches to equal the driver side height that sits over the old spring perch. I used two strips of 1 x 1/8th bar under each side of the mount and weld/filled the voids. It will never move.

Everything clears with the breather.

The top mount got pre-heat and 3 passes to each side.

Last edited by jeepsterjc; 08-10-2010 at 09:41 AM..
jeepsterjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #427
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

My son gave me the coolest birthday gift. An NP205 tcase. This is the cleanest and has the side frame mounts that I can adapt for my Throttledowncustoms.com frame and coming from my son, this one will go into the Scrambler.

Thanks Dana!
Unread 08-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #428
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

NP205 Stainless Steel Twin Stick Shifter Kit
One of these will go onto the setup.
Unread 08-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #429
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

coming along quite nicely
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #430
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Just said so long to the welder this morning. We put in an hour this am to finish up. I paid him for 6 hours of work. He burned through 30 to 36 sticks of rod for the job including the axle tube to housing welds.

I'll post a couple more pics of the tubes and the front driver side setup.
Unread 08-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #431
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschviuz View Post
coming along quite nicely
Thanks!

We are heading off to Montana to visit Jeremy at throttledowncustoms and to shoot pics of his "Hellhound" rig.
Unread 08-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #432
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Here are two pics of the finished job, axle tubes welded included. We spent probably 1/3 of the total time preheating. I hadn't planned on the heating to take sooo long. You can see where we joined the shock mount right edge to the cast horizontal web and the lower mount right plate.

This is the rear Sterling tube to housing weld.

Finished at last! Now sandblast, clean out, new axle/hub seals, 35 spline front outers, clean, etching primer and then Rustoleum industrial light grey for the finish color. Should be done before the end of August including the finish coat on the frame and re-install the axles.

Time to look around for trackbars and coils.
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #433
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Got home from the trip to Montana to see Jeremy at Throttle Down Kustoms. He has a nice running operation. Took some time knocking off the bits of slag. Took advantage of the great weather today and went through the last 125 pounds of silica to prep the axles for final priming and painting.

The paint went on nicely.

Here is the Hellhound all dirty on 39 Irok Super Swampers

The Jeep in back has rear-steer. Jeremy fired it up. Jason- I'm sold!!

Jeremy's homemade 1/4 plate tailgate and doors. I'll do the same.

One nice Prospector.

Now to finish off the frame painting.
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #434
jason m
your ad here...

Wow you guys are making huge progress from the last time I checked it out. It looks really good and I cant wate to see some Pics of you testing it out.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #435
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Wow you guys are making huge progress from the last time I checked it out. It looks really good and I cant wate to see some Pics of you testing it out.

Jason.
Thanks Jason. My son arrives this Friday so I've got to get the axles and frame together rolling on wheels. His Subaru Impreza he's driving out needs a clutch job so the hoist would be handy.

So I need to find a big solvent bath to quickely clean up bearings and stuff to throw it together temporarily.

Testing the new coiled Scrambler will likely happen this spring...

Tags
hybrid scrambler , scrambler tj frame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.