Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming! - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming!

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 05-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #331
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Didn't work on the Scrambler but I did swap batteries and the TPS sensors into the daily driver. A 460 running on @ 2000 + RPM pushing you down a residential twisty road is sure exhilarating!

Unread 05-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #332
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I looked up jeepster on the web today and those where some funky vehicles! I assume you have/had one?
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #333
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschviuz View Post
I looked up jeepster on the web today and those where some funky vehicles! I assume you have/had one?
Nope- Just saw myself as being the same vintage. Love to do one up some day, but time is creeping on!!
Unread 05-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #334
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Picked up the 5th Hummer rim. This baby isn't even cleaned up. i've gotten lucky with the condition of the new rims- all 5 like new. Engine and stripping the donor 1 ton has to start this week if the weather will cooperate.

Unread 06-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #335
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

I found this in another thread somewhere on this site and lost it- but went to youtube and looked for Yakima Ridge Runners and found it again. This is great vintage footage! And awesome 4 wheeling.

YouTube - Yakima Ridge Runners
Unread 06-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #336
Paul_Aris
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
I found this in another thread somewhere on this site and lost it- but went to youtube and looked for Yakima Ridge Runners and found it again. This is great vintage footage! And awesome 4 wheeling.

Wow, Look at the those skinny tires and stock jeeps. They are doing stuff I never done. And everyone things you need a big lift, big tires and a big motor.
Paul_Aris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #337
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

great footage.....
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #338
NorthWhiteWolf
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So lets see what the scramblers looks like (as of now at least)
Unread 06-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #339
07wurubi

2000 TJ Wrangler 

That video was cool. Wonder how many of those old Jeeps are still around if any.

My Jeep:
00 Wrangler Sport 4.0L NV3550
4" RC LA full suspension system
Bilstein 5100 shocks all around
axles (30,8.8) with 4.88 gears ARB F/R
SYE and CV rear driveshaft from Drivelines NW
Currie HD steering (Thanks Savvy, Awesome customer service)
Savvy LED tail lights (Thanks again Savvy)
GY MT/R Kevlar 35x12.50x15 on 15x10 American Racing AR23
Bestop soft top with tinted windows
Smitty front and rear bumpers w/rear tire carrier
Smitty XRC8 winch w/synthetic rope
Smitty rear corners and rock sliders with step
Genrite aluminum 6" tube fenders front/rear
Dodge Durango steering box with Pure Jeep skid and M.O.R.E. steering brace
07wurubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #340
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWhiteWolf View Post
So lets see what the scramblers looks like (as of now at least)
Rain, work, rain, work, rain, sleep sometimes, rain, work, ... repeat. Boohoo.

Tomorrow I'm driving the fellow who bought my YJ down to a wrecking yard to buy a new 8.8 for his rear end. His pinion bearing got noisier he says after only 2 weeks and he opened it up for a look... I said drive it till it breaks- which may be never, but he didn't like that idea! Tomorrow is shot now, too for work but the drive with him will be nice. He got the YJ for a great price so I'm not paying for the 8.8, but the trip to the yard will be good for me, too.

I'll post a couple of pics of my 460 coming out of the donor and then of the axles getting dropped, too. Already robbed one massive rear drum from the donor truck for my daily driving 1 ton. One of the drums on the daily driver had the outer ring of the drum that closed up against the backplate 1/2 cracked out. Way out of balance.

Soooo... the donor rear axle is now down one drum, probably two, so you know what that means??? DISK BRAKE CONVERSION for the rear!!! Woohoo!!:thumbsup :

Last edited by jeepsterjc; 06-04-2010 at 11:27 PM..
jeepsterjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #341
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

460 out and the axles to follow!! Woohoo!!

Got to it Sunday.

Started like this- mow the lawn, mow the neighbors lawn, other yard work...

Then get that truck into the garage and let the carnage begin. I couldn't get too much lift over the rad support and had to pull it (I was going to pull it and keep it for when I run into the next deer in the new 1 ton daily driver, anyways) then----- nope- gota pull the bumper off too. That is one heavy engine. The front end came up another 5 inches with the weight of the engine off it. The only bad thing that happened is that my wife blew out the hydralic clutch cylinder when she got in while we pushed it out. Habit hit and down went her clutch foot- boom. Oh well, there goes a spare clutch. Not her fault- I didn't say anything.

Now I'll get to the axles this week I hope. That is going to be one difficult job turning that truck around 90 degrees and getting it parked along the fence line where it will be blocked up.

Unread 06-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #342
Coils Rule
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post

Wow that is hands down the coolest video I have seen in years. I can't beleive the quality of it. Really extra cool for me because I wheel that exact same trail and have since I was a little kid. Infact we have a stag run in July to that same place and we even cam in the medow seen in the last part of the video. So fricken cool
Coils Rule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #343
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coils Rule View Post
Wow that is hands down the coolest video I have seen in years. I can't beleive the quality of it. Really extra cool for me because I wheel that exact same trail and have since I was a little kid. Infact we have a stag run in July to that same place and we even cam in the medow seen in the last part of the video. So fricken cool
Yes, it is a great vid. We're lucky to live in such a great part of the country. What is the trail like now?
Unread 06-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #344
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

OK- Small steps. Used the ZJ as a skidder and dragged the F350 donor into its final resting place for a while. Started off by come-alonging the F350 1/2 into the garage, then dragging the rear end sideways. Then pulled it from behind to angle it close along the fence line. Lucky for me my wife isn't timid about being a skidder operator as she had to drive the ZJ, pulling the F350, up a steep bank and a set of big cement steps. Then un-slinged it and pulled from the front just to tweak the position.

But first- check out the trellis I had to attach to my newly finished man-cave. Karen, my wife, said "when are we going to get the trellis for the garage?" My answer, in my head was "never". Then, common sense kicked in and to make it win-win I ordered up this baby from the welding/machine shop. Expanded aluminum... Took some aluminum angle I had and had it TIGed around the edges to make it rigid. Sweet! I think she likes it, too.

I'll try to get it blocked tommorow and either the front or rear axles out.
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #345
jason m
your ad here...

Making good progress. How you getting rid of the Ford once the axle's are out. I assume with a trailer or are you having a junkyard picking it up?

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hybrid scrambler , scrambler tj frame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.