Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming! - Page 108 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #1606
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Glad to see you back at it my friend!
Hi Jim! I hope you're doing well!

I am getting closer to regular work on the Scrambler.

<brag-on> My son just got hitched this weekend to a lovely young lady and the wedding was so nice. </brag-on>

My son and new daughter in-law.

That was a crazy busy 4 days. I almost forget what the inside of my shop looks like!

I am looking forward to the air-bag install. I haven't decided how I'll handle the electronics but I will definitely design the electronics to include a manual over-ride for each corner.

I've had to do so much study time for the CNC Air-scribe electronics design at least I have a head start now for the air suspension. I excited rather than overwhelmed for once!

Unread 01-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #1607
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Congratulations on your new addition to the family! I hope they have many fine years together and supply you with grandkids to love!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #1608
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Congratulations on your new addition to the family! I hope they have many fine years together and supply you with grandkids to love!
Hi Jim. Thank you. We're very happy for them. Life is really coming together nicely for them. They're still pretty busy. They have been renting a basement level of a house and new main-floor tenants moved in 1 1/2 months ago. The new tenants have been evicted and move out with or with out the help of the police next Friday. They apparently party 24-7 and are without regular employment...

Our son and new wife, on the other hand, have regular working lives and are in the basement saving for a down payment and have been, for the last two weeks, living at a kind friends home to stay away from trouble. That sucks.

On another note- here's some computer tech coolness. My son's new job is part of a team that manages a huge oil company data center/server farm.

They run 7000 virtual servers. Each server case in an average 44u rack has 4 or 8 blades. Each blade runs 512 GIGS of ram... The storage volume on-site is over 2.5 petabytes. Cool!
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #1609
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Compressor rack done!

Another task in the long list is nearing completion. The compressor is in it's new home and I'm just plumbing in some airline stuff.

Unread 03-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #1610
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Air Dryer and Painting

I'm trying out a "Franzinator" air dryer. I'll report back how it works in a week or.

Unread 03-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #1611
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Jim whats going on with the jeep?
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #1612
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
Hey Jim whats going on with the jeep?
Hi there. I've been busy making things to help make the Scrambler... I thought I was back to work on it a couple of months ago but... No excuses, I'm just too weak to say "no" all too often. I'm a glutton for punishment. The Jeep has taken the back-seat to a few other things. I moan about this a lot so I'm resigning from a few things to have more time at home. Things will change hugely mid June for my free time and it will be a welcome change.

I have really wet air and I've been burning through, literally, too many nozzles and even a few electrodes. So the air dryer became an important item to finish. I didn't realize that dry air was vital to consumable life... so another important project sprang out of nowhere.

Air bag mounts, a new trackbar frame bracket and another steering box bracket are all on hold. I'm taking a group of students to Italy next week...

Here's the process for the brackets that hold the dryer to the wall...

Design

CAM

CAM

Plasma cut them

Paint

I'm looking forward to getting the bags and limiting straps in.
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #1613
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Back at IT

Hello everyone.

I think it's safe to say that I should have fewer distractions this fall from previous years. No more volunteer work for a while- 10 years was enough. It's "me" time now. I've said "Enough"... the garage has heat, the plasma table is finished (no scribe installed yet...), the garden is good, the house is dry and warm and even a few new pictures are hung inside. The kitchen is still missing 2 small lower cabinet doors and if I can't make them on the plasma table they're gonna have to wait (... the better half hasn't heard this yet... )

It'll be a few days for me to study up where I am in the Scrambler progress then I should be plugging away at it kind of regularly.

Here's a video of the plasma table working, the air system and the air dryer in action. I shot it to explain to some of our distant friends how the things work. I sound like a dweeb.. can't do anything about it but to shut up!

Unread 08-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #1614
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Been wondering about you. Glad to see you at it again. Can't take time to watch the videom this evening but I'll do so in a day or two. Catch you later!
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #1615
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Watched the video. Good cuts you made there. I was looking at the program, as best I could and it looks very similiar to what I use on my Haas VF3. Mine are G-codes and M-codes mainly. I see you have some M-codes maybe for turning on the torch head. Jim can you change the amount of retract the head does when it rapids? I know you need to be careful of something tipping up and the head running into it but there's allot of time invloved in the rapid movements. Also like any other cam generated tool path it really adds too much movement. By that I mean, in my case anyway, the computer has it drilling a hole in one place then rapids across the workpiece for another then back to the other side. For allot of my work I don't like that. It adds too much time to the program. I'm very interested in the plasma system and at some point will be getting one in my shop. I also like the high sides you made on the water table. It looks like it really contains the sparks and mess created.

Very nice work my friend!!
Unread 09-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #1616
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Hi Jim. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't understand G and M codes very well and if I had a piece jamb up on the tip... I wouldn't be able reposition the tip to continue so that's why I have the z retract all the time. I think I could set it to retract upwards only 1 inch instead of 2". Also, I've been fighting with my direct-drive Z axis with DTHC. If I have the torch reference every cut the tip is less likely to get too close or actually touch/drag on the cut surface. It sure does slow things down though.

I'm drawing up a new geared Z that I can use with my existing magnetic tear-off torch holder. With 3 or 5 to 1 reduction I can have better DTHC response. I've ordered up 5 gear belt pulleys to play with so all of my constant tip referencing issues and height change should be a thing of the past.

I had thought about editing the tool path cutting order and will look into this. Thanks.

I am happy with the shielding I have around the water bed. I'm surprised at how well everything is contained inside the 14 gauge walls. I purchased heavy flame resistant fabric for a curtain on 2 sides but I went with steel in the end. The shop is staying way way cleaner now.

I've got so much to do out there i the shop. I'm really excited about getting out there many evening each week. Karen may become a Jeep widow again for a few months

Quote:
Watched the video. Good cuts you made there. I was looking at the program, as best I could and it looks very similiar to what I use on my Haas VF3. Mine are G-codes and M-codes mainly. I see you have some M-codes maybe for turning on the torch head. Jim can you change the amount of retract the head does when it rapids? I know you need to be careful of something tipping up and the head running into it but there's allot of time invloved in the rapid movements. Also like any other cam generated tool path it really adds too much movement. By that I mean, in my case anyway, the computer has it drilling a hole in one place then rapids across the workpiece for another then back to the other side. For allot of my work I don't like that. It adds too much time to the program. I'm very interested in the plasma system and at some point will be getting one in my shop. I also like the high sides you made on the water table. It looks like it really contains the sparks and mess created.

Very nice work my friend!!
Unread 09-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #1617
boatsandhose
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry if I'm wrong here, but I thought Oxy tanks should and can only be used in the upright position? If the tank isn't upright your welds will have too much carbon. At least that's what they teach us in school.
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #1618
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsandhose View Post
Sorry if I'm wrong here, but I thought Oxy tanks should and can only be used in the upright position? If the tank isn't upright your welds will have too much carbon. At least that's what they teach us in school.
I don't see how how even laying an oxy tank on its side could cause troubles. It's just compressed oxygen- nothing in suspension or dissolved in it. Of course acetylene is a problem if the tank passes 45 degrees or so as the acetone will exit the cylinder...

I called our local machine shop and the owner said his service trucks have their oxy tanks fitted for use laying horizontally.
Unread 10-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #1619
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

I read your entire thread. Very impressive work, and congratulations on the plasma table. I run Mach for a small 4 axis mill and I love it, tons of community support!

I look forward to seeing more of your work, even if it isn't on the Scrambled

Lee
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #1620
thefro68

1979 CJ7 

Can't wait to see what you do next on the scrambler!!

Jeff
1979 CJ7
thefro68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid scrambler , scrambler tj frame

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.