Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming! - Page 101 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #1501
webdog
DirtBound Offroad

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
I hadn't been clear, myself, about lifting the torch between cuts and how it worked with THC (torch height control) during cuts. I'm closer now to seeing the bigger picture... I think you nay be able to retro fit for torch lift, maybe... Sometimes it is called touch-and-go or something like that.

Your table should be very similar to how mine is setup.

Here is how mine works...

The gantry moves the torch into position, it then lowers the torch until it comes in contact with the plate and that trips the floating head.

Mach3 then raises the head the set amount of the switch plus the pierce height, the torch is then turned on and the THC waits for ARC OK signal.

Once the ARC OK is sent and the pierce delay expires it starts to lower it to cut height and then proceeds to start cutting the part.

Then 1.2seconds later the Torch Height Control THC takes over and monitors the voltage and adjusts the height dynamically, my table is not 100% flat over the width of it but with the THC it will always have the same cut height.

On my THC if there is an issue with the arc not firing or it cuts off the sheet and the arc goes out it will stop the job.

Let me know if that makes sense...

webdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #1502
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Wow, how time flies. The plasma table is 2/3 finished. I've gone to an overall 5' x 10' frame size and my cutting dims are 50 x 100 inches. The table is big, but I decided to go big and to reduce other clutter in the small garage. Plus, I'm going to re-build the existing big work bench. I'll make it both shorter and take more than a foot off of the depth. I think I have enough square steel tubing left over to make a nice job of it.

I used the Hypertherm for the big holes for the adjustable feet (1 inch grade 8 bolts) through 1/2 plate and the things cuts like the steel is butter. I don't know how I ever got along without one...

<rant on>
so our family webserver crashed a hard drive and popped a top off of a few capacitors both on the mobo and inside the power supply... thus now pics for the time being and the server is truely dead

my pay-as-you-go minutes ran out on my phone

my two step google authentication (every 30 days or so) wouldn't work- text verification code to doa phone...

so no email

snow and rain- every day-

man, life is tough!!

<rant off>

I picked up the formed water table from the machine shop. It is 3 inches deep and I'll be attaching a zinc anode to reduce corrosion. I don't know if it will help but it is cheap to do.

I haven't decide how to finish/treat the 1/16th steel water table. The fellows at the machine shop just say to prime it then use it...

As soon as today's snow melts I'll be back out for fine tuning the rails and gantry. I still haven't decided how to do the slat support and may do something temporary then use the plasma table to cut the real better slat support structure.

So that's about it for the time being.
Unread 03-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #1503
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdog View Post
Your table should be very similar to how mine is setup.

Here is how mine works...

The gantry moves the torch into position, it then lowers the torch until it comes in contact with the plate and that trips the floating head.

Mach3 then raises the head the set amount of the switch plus the pierce height, the torch is then turned on and the THC waits for ARC OK signal.

Once the ARC OK is sent and the pierce delay expires it starts to lower it to cut height and then proceeds to start cutting the part.

Then 1.2seconds later the Torch Height Control THC takes over and monitors the voltage and adjusts the height dynamically, my table is not 100% flat over the width of it but with the THC it will always have the same cut height.

On my THC if there is an issue with the arc not firing or it cuts off the sheet and the arc goes out it will stop the job.

Let me know if that makes sense...
Thanks for the explanation. It helps.
Unread 03-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #1504
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
I haven't decide how to finish/treat the 1/16th steel water table. The fellows at the machine shop just say to prime it then use it...
Have your local steel shop send it in for galvanizing. The other thing you can do is epoxy coat it, or have it powder coated. You can also spray galvanize it but then cover that coating with an aluminum spray coat to seal it up good.
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #1505
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2dunes View Post
Have your local steel shop send it in for galvanizing. The other thing you can do is epoxy coat it, or have it powder coated. You can also spray galvanize it but then cover that coating with an aluminum spray coat to seal it up good.
Thanks. I'll be talking to my local machine shop on Monday.
Unread 03-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #1506
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

New Plasma and benches with pics

It has been a little while since I've had a chance to get any work done but I've tried to get out to the garage or the carport when ever it hasn't been snowing or raining; and it's been doing plenty of each for the last three weeks! Also- I've obviously managed to breathe new life into some of the old webserver's directories, but have a long way to go with it... php, mysql, bla, bla ,bla.

I finished the plasma table frame, built a new combined vise/grinder/drillpress bench, and a new main work bench good for 2000 pounds of load. I used 2x2 x 3/16 square tubing for everything. The welding/vise/grinder bench is topped with 3/8 plate.

This is the first all loaded up with tools and debris. It won't stay like this.

This is the new bench to replace the old giant Kubota shipping crate work bench. I've cut it up and will re-use the 1 1/8 inch plywood for the bench top and lower shelf. The old orange giant work bench was just too deep and I'll regain lots of space with this smaller but still good sized bench.

Here's another view of the new bench.

The main event. It is one heavy beast. I'll weld up the 4 rolling wheels tomorrow. I used 1" coarse grade 8 bolts for adjustable feet. It is 100% level, plumb and square. I'm really happy with it so far.

The plasma table will slide almost 7 feet farther back into the corner and with the new feng shui I've got going on in the garage I have more room than before... really.

So tomorrow I clean up the work bench and get it primed and painted. Then, onto the mechanics and wiring of the plasma table.

The old Kubota crate frame will get turned into 2 other 4 wheeled engine dollies. I've bought the wheels and will use them to move engines around and also as casters for skidding the Scrambler around the garage.
Unread 03-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #1507
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Well, I got the work bench cleaned up and painted then pushed things around to see how the space looked.

The plasma table gets its new 900 pound per caster wheels installed tomorrow and the work bench may get a steel top instead of wood. I'll check out the difference in cost between the 1/4 and 3/8 inch plate.

Re-reading a post above, the table is not 5 x 10 but rather 5 x 9 and I have over 4 x 8 cutting area with these dimensions. I'm also thinking of leaving the table on the wheels while I cut but having it anchored to the two massive (ie- never movable) cement knee walls. All I'd need to do is to pull two bolts holding the table in position to manoeuvre it around the shop for loading with the hoist.
Unread 03-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #1508
1983 CJ7 

Those side projects that slow down the Jeep progress sure do make life in the shop easier

Great job
Unread 03-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #1509
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Those side projects that slow down the Jeep progress sure do make life in the shop easier

Great job
Hi Dave. Thanks, your CJ, too. We sure do know how the side jobs can slow down the main hobby, eh?

I should be back at the Scrambler soon. I think I'll re-design the crossmembers to use the new plasma table capabilities... not... but I wish I had it before I started the build!
Unread 03-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #1510
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Cost for steel

So I just got back from my favorite store- the machine shop, and am wondering what you guys pay for steel.

I paid $129 fora sheet of 1/4 mild plate 33 1/2 x 63 inches. I'm just wondering what would you guys pay for something that size? This plate and all of my 2x2x3/16 has, so far, been made in the USA. Surprisingly, nothing from China or Indonesia yet.
Unread 03-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #1511
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The price of steel is out of control! Down here we have to worry about cheap mexican steel.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #1512
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
The price of steel is out of control! Down here we have to worry about cheap mexican steel.
I don't think the steel prices have come down since China's slow-down and the last big bust a couple of years ago. I just bought 64 " of 4x4x 3/16 square steel tube for $1.00 per foot... Ouch.

<edit> NOT $1.00 per foot but $1.00 per INCH! </edit>
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #1513
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Finished steel work bench and plasma table wheel mounts

I just got home from the machine shop with my 4 4x4 x 3/16 caster wheel mounting perches. I'll mount them on the insides of the legs joining to the bottoms of the lower horizontal cross members.

The machine shop kindly cut them up for me no charge. That was nice of Steve to do that for me. Thanks.

They'll get cleaned up and welded on tomorrow.

Here's a poser of my new work bench. I'm really happy with it and should have built it like this 3 years ago... but I was saying to my wife that I wouldn't have been able to back then. I was a crappy welder and didn't have some of the equipment that now makes it so easy to do.

Those 10" wheels are for a moving dolly to cart around engines in my back yard. It's time to get those engines out of sight and behind the garage.
Unread 04-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #1514
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

A Little Progress

This is where I'm at this morning:

Now to drill and thread the v-groove rails down onto the Y axis 2x4 tubes.
Unread 04-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #1515
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

So those 2x2 x 3/16 steel tube upper horizontals, the Y - axis, weren't rigid enough for my liking so I cut them off and replaced them with 2x4 x 1/4 tubing instead. The table "feels" more rigid moving it around and now the Y -axis and the entire table will always remain the way I built it- level, plumb and square.

Tags
hybrid scrambler , scrambler tj frame

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.